Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #1

Opinions please, 2300/2290S - to slide or not to slide

Hi all,

DW and I are retiring and plan to visit friends, relatives and some national parks in the U.S. before shipping our coach to Europe for an extended multi-country tour. I like the simplicity and structural integrity of the 2300, but I'm wondering if the extra space provided by the single slide 2290S is worth considering. BTW, when I searched the forums for phrases such as "slide problem" or "slide trouble", I'm presented with a litany of woes that include broken cables, fried motors, hydraulic trouble or alignment problems. Not something that I'd want to encounter in some small village in Europe

Also, I think I'd like to order the coach without a dinette so that I could replace it with a couple of aftermarket recliners. I know there are several threads about FR's new recliner options (not available in the 2300), as well as some retrofitted theater type seats, but I'm interested in comfortable stand alone recliners. Any suggestions?

And for those who are wondering why we don't consider buying an RV in Europe, we can't. Well, we could buy it, but we can't *register* it. You have to have a permanent EU address to register a vehicle.

Thanks in advance,

Mark...
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #2

We are two years in a 2300, it is just the DW and I. I was not willing to trade the additional floor space for the integrity of the box, but by the looks of the sales data most would. We have the curvy dinnete and would have got a couch instead if it was available. The primary shortage (pun) of the coach for us would be the lack of a walk around bed, but still not significant enough to us to warrent a moving wall.

I know I am different from the pack, I went with the chevy 4500 chassis and like the carry capacity. I wonder where you can get a ford aligned in Dusseldorf?

Good hunting....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

When we bought our 2450 in 2013 it was basically a 2300 with a slide. I could not imagine buying a 2300 now. It was the top of our list until we saw the 2450S. We also have the Chevy 4500. No issues in two years with the slide. It opens up the area dramatically and you do not feel cramped in the center. They do not have the 2450 anymore. Not sure of the floor plan of the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

If the reason why you don't want a slide is because of a potential failure in the future... Well there's always going to be SOMETHING that 'might' breakdown. These are (cheap) houses on wheels rolling down cobblestone streets ( in some places). Things are going to break and wear down. The horror story is not the equipment failures, it's the lack of having a plan for a failure.

BTW, We have a 2011 3170DS with both types of slide mechanisms. Not a single slide issue, yet.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

As I mentioned, I am different from the pack. Congrats on no failures, with no failures probably being the norm. Just not my cup of tea...
Old 03-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #6

I agree with the original poster that you need to consider the chance of failure AND the problems that said failure causes. Getting a slide repaired in Europe could be a big problem. However, if it fails extended, you can almost certainly get it back in, even if you have to remove the dinette to partially dismantle the drive and enlist some locals to help push it in. If it fails in, just leave it there. Either way, finish your trip with it closed. It will still be usable, just not as roomy.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Can't some slides be cranked in with a special tool for that
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #8

Since you are going to Europe with the RV I would avoid getting a slide just because of the fact that if you have a problem it may be hard to find some one to fix it (at a reasonable cost). And if parts are needed it will take a quite a while to get them. Caravans are smaller in Europe and camp sites may be a little more space limited also.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
We are two years in a 2300, it is just the DW and I. I was not willing to trade the additional floor space for the integrity of the box, but by the looks of the sales data most would. We have the curvy dinnete and would have got a couch instead if it was available. The primary shortage (pun) of the coach for us would be the lack of a walk around bed, but still not significant enough to us to warrent a moving wall.

I know I am different from the pack, I went with the chevy 4500 chassis and like the carry capacity. I wonder where you can get a ford aligned in Dusseldorf?

Good hunting....
Hoglou, have you had any troubles in the two years camping with your 2300? BTW, I'm going with the 2300C, the Chevy version. Also, I'm curious if you've taken any long trips in your rig ( > a month or so) since I'll effectively be full timing for a few years. Thanks.

Regards, Mark...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markangie24 View Post
When we bought our 2450 in 2013 it was basically a 2300 with a slide. I could not imagine buying a 2300 now. It was the top of our list until we saw the 2450S. We also have the Chevy 4500. No issues in two years with the slide. It opens up the area dramatically and you do not feel cramped in the center. They do not have the 2450 anymore. Not sure of the floor plan of the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Hi Markangie24,

The new version of the Chevy 2300 with a slide is the 2290S - you can see it on the Sunseeker floor plan page on the FR web site. Also, as I mentioned in my original post, I'm thinking of replacing the dinette with a couple of recliners - where do you guys sit in the evening? Is the dinette comfortable enough to read or watch TV? Thanks.

Regards, Mark...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
Wait till next year...

Just my opinion but I'd go for the slide for the simple reason that if broken you should be able to continue with the slide in board. I ordered the 2650s that has a small slide like the 2290 to avoid the multiple and whole wall slides that most of the complaints seem to be about. And DW demanded at least 1 slide
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
As I mentioned, I am different from the pack. Congrats on no failures, with no failures probably being the norm. Just not my cup of tea...
Hi Hoglou,

In my many months of research I've noticed that Lazy Daze is a highly respected manufacturer that seems to have a large base of satisfied customers. Their resale value also appears to be a cut above most other manufactures in their price range. And they apparently eschew slide outs of any sort across their model lines. Just makes me wonder.

Regards, Mark...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #13

Longest we have been out is 3 weeks. I toad a JK behind the 2300 and no problems to speak of. My awning LEDs were partially out after the first 6 months (warrenty replaced). The worse roads (bomb craters) for us were going into Memphis that shook my fillings out but did not effect the coach. I would say it has been a pretty solid unit. Not a Prevost or even a Tiffin, but reliable and comfortable.

We ordered ours so we got a lengthy list of options. 15 btu heat pump, bigfoot jacks, sattelite (no longer offered), and about everything else less the outside entertianment center and the side view cameras. The only thing we got and dont use is the grill package as that grill takes up to much room. The grill I use fits in the water bay (passenger side) with a high output fan also stored there. Four bagged folding chairs fit nicely in the bay behind the genset.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #14

slide or not

Hi all

good question on taking a slide or not to europe , my wife and I have had a 2300 [ sorry umm ford chassie ] we live in the mountains of BC , and loved it however my wife tripped at Christmas time ,bad fall and broke her left shoulder and upper arm real bad , and could no longer get in and out of the corner bed ,she tried and tried and of course she is left handed .... so what do you do we traded in on a 2650 with an island bed and no problems since . now going to europe maybe a 24R or 24w maybe the way to go , and as repairs should not be to much of a problem . I can only speak for Britian where they do import US motor homes with alsorts of slides . another thought maybe sale it before your return it may pay for the holiday . and then buy something else when you return to the USA..

are we having fun yet ....
427creston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Look at the video on Youtube of the "Lippert In-wall" slide. If you did have an issue, push it back in and stop using it. Everything still works with the 2290 slide in or out.

Why not get better resale and more space. We've been building slides for well over a decade...structural is not an issue. Are slides 100% trouble free...no, but that small of a slide and this many years into R&D, you should be trouble free. If not, still no issue sliding it in and moving on down the road.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #16

Slide or Not

Re slides , I am with the slides and think that they are the only way to go for that extra space ,when we picked up our 2014 -2650sf from the dealer and starting our camping trips ,on the second time out the slide would not retract on power ,and with my wife on the switch I managed to with a gentle push get it back in place then locked with the storage arms,
With the great help of R Stull and Nadean the service manager from Country RV in Kelowna , plus a couple of replacement parts is was back to normal and has been good ever since .
I do like the fact that both Forest River Rep and Nadean the Service manager of Country RV sood behind the product and got us camping again .and no not at this time would we trade as we really like the layout and storage etc of the 2650sf.
many thanks again to all who helped us.

and yes we are having fun . now its time to get it out of covered storage and on the road.
427creston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #17

As Poppytoymaker mentioned, there's always a way to manually deploy/retract a slide, often with a simple crank. My large kitchen/living room slide failed to close due to a problem with the gear box on the drive. It took just a few minutes to crank it in. Even small, shallow slides enhance livability.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #18

Thanks Brian, on another note, do you know if the converter runs on 220 as well as 120? If not, and since I believe you do have European customers, is there a 220 version I could install when the time comes? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427creston View Post
Hi all

good question on taking a slide or not to europe , my wife and I have had a 2300 [ sorry umm ford chassie ] we live in the mountains of BC , and loved it however my wife tripped at Christmas time ,bad fall and broke her left shoulder and upper arm real bad , and could no longer get in and out of the corner bed ,she tried and tried and of course she is left handed .... so what do you do we traded in on a 2650 with an island bed and no problems since . now going to europe maybe a 24R or 24w maybe the way to go , and as repairs should not be to much of a problem . I can only speak for Britian where they do import US motor homes with alsorts of slides . another thought maybe sale it before your return it may pay for the holiday . and then buy something else when you return to the USA..

are we having fun yet ....
Hi 427creston,

Thought about the Solera/Sunseeker MBS models, but I really like the larger queen bed in the 2300/2290S as well as the larger tanks, and I'm not sure I want the rear bed or articulated bed slide. Interestingly, the UK seems to enjoy a larger percentage of "caravans" i.e. towables, while the continent, especially France, Italy and Germany go the motorhome route. Good idea about selling our RV in Europe as well - there is a real demand for American RV's. In fact, there is a club in the UK called "The American RV Club" where many members somehow manage to tool around in big honking 42' diesel pushers!

Regards, Mark...
Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #20

Slide/no slide

[QUOTE=mbauman;807193]Hi all,

DW and I are retiring and plan to visit friends, relatives and some national parks in the U.S. before shipping our coach to Europe for an extended multi-country tour. I like the simplicity and structural integrity of the 2300, but I'm wondering if the extra space provided by the single slide 2290S is worth considering. BTW, when I searched the forums for phrases such as "slide problem" or "slide trouble", I'm presented with a litany of woes that include broken cables, fried motors, hydraulic trouble or alignment problems. Not something that I'd want to encounter in some small village in Europe

Also, I think I'd like to order the coach without a dinette so that I could replace it with a couple of aftermarket recliners.

I bought a 2300 last Oct to replace a similar size vehicle. No slide on either. We traveled North America covering 110,00 miles. Our longest trip was 100 days across Canada to Alaska. We had a standard dinette which worked just fine. We now have the curvy banquette which is the pits. I'm 5'10'' and it's hard to get comfortable. An option you might consider is to get the best front seats possible, have the passenger seat rotatable and consider raising it. Install reading lights over those seats. I find the existing seats too low. Keep in mind you will get at best 10 MPG. Gas is very expensive overseas. Get solar panels. Study your unit top to bottom. Consider mods after you have traveled a few times. Bring tools. Live an adventure...
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide