Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #11

Options on New 2300

I'll give you my opinion on the Big Foot
I have a 2860
Weight isn't a concern cause I don't load it to max and there is very little storage on this model so it's not a concern unless you are a full timer/remote long trip RVer,or maybe aGold miner LOL!
I'm just a camper;
grill,chairs lantern,small tool chest,rug,sporting goods,couple of bicycles or a Motorcycle trailer etc.
Ground clearance at first was a concern
Looking under the unit you scratch your head and think
"How are they not going to hit the ground?"
But my experience has been my hitch and trailer dolly (fully retracted)hit several times but the jacks never have
I do run the trailer in a slightly nose high attitude because of this,and it still will hit in certain instances.
So in a nut shell we love the Big Foot cause it works and makes set up a breeze and they have never hit.i can actually level the unit in MAN mode on my goofy sloped driveway for set up and cleaning and that's not possible with Legos or logs.
Good luck with your purchase!

'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #12

I have them on a 3010DS. X2 what trdutch says.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 11-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #13

Thanks, snowman. Do you know what your wife hated about the convection oven? I'm going on my experience at home -- a few years ago I bought my wife one of those counter-top toaster/convection ovens by Cuisinart and she has been using that most of the time instead of the big gas oven. She says it heats quicker because of the convection and it uses less energy because it's smaller.

We are getting the U-dinette because we really like the "lounge" feeling of it. That means a half-size wardrobe and half as many drawers below. So two extra drawers in the kitchen would be valuable.

I like your idea of converting half of the wardrobe to shelf space. I could see doing that with some melamine board pretty easily. Or maybe even one of those pull-out, wire frame pantry. My wife loves those.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

Another storage idea (U-shaped dinette): The cushion along the wall of the dinette has a piece of plywood under it that lifts out and reveals a nice size storage area. I put a couple of plastic totes under there just to keep things from sliding around and store extra can goods, bags of potatoes, etc., and extra paper products (TP, Paper towels, plates, etc.)

So the rear cushion reveals a panel that is screwed down. Enquiring minds wanted to know. Removing a couple of screws and you find the subwoofer for the radio and a lot of space. I added a couple plastic milk crates there and carry extra bottles of water and other beverages.

So the front dinette seat has a long drawer under it. But careful inspection shows that the drawer does not go the full depth of the seat. So one of this winter's projects is to remove the plywood, cut it at the place where the drawer ends (probably add a cross brace for support), and uncover a small storage area in the corner of the dinette. Haven't decided what to put there yet, but maybe a lock box or small safe for valuables.

There is a lot of space for storage. Some takes a little work or thought, but there is enough space for two people to support a long trip.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 11-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad View Post
rvBill and bclemens: thanks so much for your thoughts on these options! I have read so many helpful posts from both of you all over this forum. If I ever meet either of you at a campground I will offer you a beer and a steak.
I could send you a list of my itinerary for next season :-)

Seriously--glad to help. I have learned much here and want to pay it forward.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #16

RvBill, thanks for the info on storage under the dinette. I didn't know there was so much hidden storage. That will help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
The outside entertainment is a basic radio and CD player. It has an aux input on the front and back. I ran a cable from the dash radio to the aux in on the back of the outside radio. I use the XM mode and bluetooth on the dash radio and turn the outside radio to aux.
RvBill, could you tell me how you ran a cable from the dash radio to the aux in the back of the outside radio (type of cable, how you routed it)? I think that will be one of the first things I do when I get my new 2300.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #17

It's likely that the convection oven we had was not a good quality unit. The brand was Apollo, and on RV forums the cooks usually seem to have bad things to say about them. My wife says the food did not cook/bake evenly at all. She also didn't like that there was a metal rack or something which had to be used for convection but had to be removed for microwaving. But the performance was the big thing.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #18

Connecting the dash radio to the outside entertainment radio. I used a long (25') audio cable (available from Amazon) RCA male pair to RCA female pair. I cheated a little. There is a cable from the dash radio to the front TV that connects sound out of the TV into the radio. I didn't really see a need for that. So at the radio end, I changed it from an input to the radio to an output. Then I removed the cable from the back of the TV and attached the female ends of the new cable. I ran it down the arm of the TV mount to the cabinet above the door. Through that cabinet, drilling a hole into the cabinet above the sink, through the back of that and drilled a hole out of the cabinet into the space behind the microwave.

Here's where it became a little work. I fished it down the wall from the back of the microwave to the wall between the stove and refrigerator. Taking the drawer out under the oven, you can see the back of the outside radio. The problem was getting it down the wall. I ended up unscrewing the stove and pulling it out of the cabinet a couple of inches to be able to fish the wire down the wall.

Maybe there is another way to get from the dash to the cabinet behind the oven--but I couldn't figure one out.

This probably won't make any sense until you are standing in front of the cabinets. If you need more help, PM me and I will try to explain it further.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
I cheated a little. There is a cable from the dash radio to the front TV that connects sound out of the TV into the radio. I didn't really see a need for that.
Thanks, RvBill. That made sense to me. I have some photos of the interiors of 2300s and was able to follow along. The only thing I don't understand is that the cable you "repurposed" from the TV might serve a useful purpose. Doesn't it allow you to hear TV sound through the surround sound speakers? With a DVD, it wouldn't matter, because you're using the in-dash radio as the source. But for antenna or any other source (e.g. Apple TV or Roku box), wouldn't you need that cable to get sound through the ceiling speakers?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
It's likely that the convection oven we had was not a good quality unit. The brand was Apollo, and on RV forums the cooks usually seem to have bad things to say about them.
Oh, goodness. Does anyone know what brand of convection oven is currently being used?