Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Outdoor cable outlet

On the passenger side of my Sunseeker 2800 GTS there is two wall recepticals, a 12 volt plug in, and a coaxial outlet. My question is, is the coaxial outlet for cable only or should I also get tv signals also. I have never used the coaxial outlet. I have to living room tv on but can not get a tv signal. I am wondering if it will only work if I am hooked up to a cable source.
texasblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Team

First, I have to admit I've never tried to use the external cable connector. But I was told it was only for cable and it is not connected to the King Jack antenna splitter.

Did you ever find the banging noise you were chasing?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

I took of the panel behind the drivers seat. From what I could see, there was noting in that area that is hanging and cause the banging. I contacted Forest River and talked to a service contact. He had no idea but said that he would check with others. He did call me back and said that it might be a rod that runs from the top slide motor to something at the bottom of the slide. I don't really know what he is talking about. I guess I will have to take it back to the shop and spend more money trying to find the source. I was in it today and it still is banging. This really upsets me since I have already spent about $400.00 trying to figure it out.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Isn't the banging being handled as a warranty issue?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:25 AM   #5

I though it should be but the Forest River warranty has expired and my Route 66 extended warranty will not pay for trying to find the problem.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasblues View Post
On the passenger side of my Sunseeker 2800 GTS there is two wall recepticals, a 12 volt plug in, and a coaxial outlet. My question is, is the coaxial outlet for cable only or should I also get tv signals also. I have never used the coaxial outlet. I have to living room tv on but can not get a tv signal. I am wondering if it will only work if I am hooked up to a cable source.
If I understand; you are not getting a signal to your current living room television from an OTA (Over The Air) signal? You have to have the antenna amplifier on, usually a little push button on the 12 volt power plate, an LED should come on too. You will also need to make sure the television is set for "Air" rather than cable, then run a channel scan.

If you happen to hook up to cable you have to do the whole process over again; make sure the antenna amplifier is off, set television to "cable" and do a channel scan.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #7

I guess I might not have been clear. I am wondering if the outdoor coaxial output cable hookup is only for cable service or should I be able to watch the tv when hooked up to that coaxial output. This outdoor coaxial hookup is located near the home entrance. It is not the coaxial hookup for the parks cable service. That one is in the drivers side near the shore power outlet.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

You should be able to watch cable or over the air tv.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #9

I believe that is an input, not an output. If it were to work, you'd be receiving the signals on your roof antenna, then routed to the back of the faceplate, and down the cable to the external port. Unfortunately, you cannot route the signal from one input to the other. (without a little modding, that is)

The way the amplifier is built, it has 2 (or 3, you can see 3 in the image of the back of my amp) inputs which are amplified, then delivered through the output port on the faceplate.

If you want to watch TV outside, you'd need to unhook the inside TV, then (temporarily or permanently) run a coax from the output on the faceplate that is normally connected to your inside TV to your outside TV.

As that cable is routed from the outside port to a port on the back of the amp, you could re-appropriate it to use it to feed the outside TV:

The black coax is the outside input port, where the gray is the input from the antenna.

Help that hopes!

--Bruce.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
I believe that is an input, not an output. If it were to work, you'd be receiving the signals on your roof antenna, then routed to the back of the faceplate, and down the cable to the external port. Unfortunately, you cannot route the signal from one input to the other. (without a little modding, that is)

The way the amplifier is built, it has 2 (or 3, you can see 3 in the image of the back of my amp) inputs which are amplified, then delivered through the output port on the faceplate.

If you want to watch TV outside, you'd need to unhook the inside TV, then (temporarily or permanently) run a coax from the output on the faceplate that is normally connected to your inside TV to your outside TV.

As that cable is routed from the outside port to a port on the back of the amp, you could re-appropriate it to use it to feed the outside TV:

The black coax is the outside input port, where the gray is the input from the antenna.

Help that hopes!

--Bruce.
There is part of this, that is not correct.
The ports on the back of the booster are not ALL inputs. One port goes to your outside TV connection as an output and performs in exactly the same manner as the output port on the front of the wall plate/booster.

To the OP... you should have a coax coming from the wall plate/booster, going to your outside TV connection. (not the park cable connection) If so, you should be able to use a TV outside just like you do inside.

See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard_02.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	129027  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

Thank you very much
Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #12

Very interesting. The image shows how mine was wired from the factory. I never used the park cable so can't verify it was working, but per that graphic, the park cable was mis-wired.
I have only 1 TV.

Therefore, I stand corrected regarding inputs/outputs.

There are 4 F connectors on the unit:
1) Faceplate -> to Set #1
2) Board <- from Antenna
3) Board <- from "cable" (park cable)
4) Board -> to Set #2.

Question: Is the OP's Set #2 cable routed to a second TV inside the coach, or to the outside wall?

In any event, had I tried to use the cable for it's intended purpose, or for the 2nd Set as wired, it would not have worked:

However, I can see where the single cable in my 2250 can be used EITHER for a park cable (input) or a connection to an outside TV by changing it from the center connector to the right connector. (as mine was factory wired).

Interesting!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #13

My cable to the second TV has a splitter behind the outside TV jack, so the second TV out actually feeds the outside TV and the second TV in the rear of the coach. I discovered the splitter one day when I had a kitchen drawer pulled all the way out and could see the back of the outside entertainment center (radio) where the coax jack is also located.

Tags
cable, door