Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Outside 120VAC Plug on Sunseeker 2860DS

Is there an Outside 120VAC Plug on Sunseeker 2860DS that I didn't find on our recent trip to Vancouver Island BC? Besides the plugs in the outside kitchen.. Maybe one under the MH somewhere? maybe under left side of entrance door in the electrical box so it would be hot with shore power as well as generator power?

If not where is the most easy place I could access a 120VAC junction box to put one under the MH. I do not want to install in any compartment that I would have to leave open to plug something in but would install one inside a compartment at the same time also if handy.

I'm a electrician so that's not a problem with a safe install.

Thanks

Ron
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #2

If you get no better suggestion, maybe you could put a receptacle in the compartment with the shore line and run an extension cord through the shore line hole. On our 3100 it would be easy to add a breaker and run a cable to the compartment but I don't know about your model.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #3

Maybe you could find a place to cut through the curb side wall and put a receptacle there like they do on other models. Take a look at some other models.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Commercial Member

there should be one just to the left of the entry door. Not sure what year yours is...but there should be "white" hinged covers. (2) banks of (2).

One bank of 2 is an exterior 120v receptacle. The other is coax and 12v I think.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #5

RamblerGuy and BC... I have 2014 2860DS..

Yes that's the logical place... lots of empty fused places I'm pretty sure. And, I can make sure its shore power and gen. powered.

BC that's the first place I looked but checked again just now. Lots of cables going into the switchover box but no separate junction box at all. Not a real good place to mount a box right there. close to front of rear tires are they supposed to be there on the 2014 2860DS?

Thanks

Ron
Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Commercial Member

1. All 120v plugs get hot with gen or shore power. They're designed that way. The outlet I am referring to is on the exterior sidewall just behing the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	61190  

Old 08-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #7

Nothing on either side of couch door or anywhere on couch skin and pretty sure none in the storage compartments. There is one inside the outside stereo door.. but no way to close the door with anything plugged in. And leaving door open would expose the stereo to the elements
Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Ok. Maybe it's newer then. Can't use the one in the outside kitchen? Should be able to tie into that and add another if you're handy.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #9

Its a 2014 Sunseeker 2860DS... The restriction is not leaving any of the compartmental doors unlocked/ or open. I need 120VAC access without any of the lockable doors being open. I really haven't had time to look for the best spot to tap into, but I'm guessing it will be the service box in the entry to the MH. I don't have my book handy but I think there are some unused circuits in there. I know there are several in the breaker box under the bed
Old 08-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Commercial Member

That service entry at the doorway is all 12v.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #11

The outside receptacle on some of the sunseekers 2860DS is where my outside stereo radio/cd is now. the stereo has a 120VAC receptacle in it... Which doesn.t work for me. as door would have to be kept open, But mystery solved!

I was afraid of it not having AC in it, but thought it was where all the transferring is done so thought it might. I'll check and see if the outside stereo outlet doesn't have a bunch of other loads on it and tap into it. It would be in an OK spot there under the couch.

Thanks

Ron
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #12

I have the stated outlet Brian mentions by my entrance door but I seldom use it. I instead carry a 25 foot extension cord and plug it in the 20 amp outlet on most campgrounds power pedestal. In this way I keep my total power load down through the coach.
Most of the time, that 20 amp outlet on the pedestal is a gfci but if it isn't I have gfci dogbone that I use.
I toss the extension cord under the coach to the entrance side to plug in rope lights and sometimes a box fan.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #13

I agree, but a few weeks ago we were on Vancouver Island BC fishing for a couple weeks and all they had was a 30A receptacle, no breaker, no 120VAC U ground 15/20 amp. We brought a small 7 cuft chest freezer with us for ice for our toddies and to freeze our catch (which was full coming home with 2 couples fishing). Luckily the people next to us were in a pickup camper and were also some of our friends so we plugged into their 120VAC external receptacle on their camper. I thought the Park had standard 50/30/and 20A U ground pedestals (they said), but they didn't! I have a lot of different adapters but couldn't make the grade. You can only carry so much. So that wont happen again!

Thanks

Ron
Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

i have 2014 2860 with kitchen and tv not the stero cd on the out side mine has the 2 plugs
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #15

My 07 2860DS outside outlet is is wired into the 120v at the rear of the fridge.

A lousy wiring connection combined with a cable cut too short led me to it.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #16

BC
FYI here is a picture of the outside Jensen stereo/CD player. Not only is the 120VAC receptacle here as I stated above there is also a 12VDC outlet with a 5 A reset on it. I am surprised that its not a GFI but it may be fed from one upstream. I'm trying to remember if all the receptacles are GFI protected. Also it's hard to see but the right bottom screw holding the GFI in was probably tightened to much and cracked the receptacle. A specialty receptacle like that might be hard to find. one plugin not useable and non standard mounting holes. LOL

Anyway mystery solved for all you that have a 2860DS with outside stereo. I will say though its not very good for someone wanting to plug into 120VAC outside as you cant close the door on the stereo and could ruin it if it rained. I will be putting a receptacle outside when I get the time.

Thanks,

RON
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker_Stereo_20140823_104336.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	61292  
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
Commercial Member

All you need to do is put one of those little cord ports in the door of that stereo.

Tags
sunseeker