Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I'd like to do this in my Georgetown for the ceiling lights in the bedroom. Currently my wife has to reach the switch on the ceiling light itself to turn it on. I can see how to run wiring for the switch in the hollow wall but how much trouble is it to get the wiring from the ceiling light mount point to run along the ceiling to the wall? Do the wires have to be externally attached or is there a way to have them pass through the ceiling panels.

John James
The short answer is "it depends". You are right, it's easy to pull wires in the hollow inside walls, but the exterior walls have no voids as they are solid foam. Other than routing a wire from inside to out, there's no way to use exterior walls to route wires.

You asked about the ceiling, and here's where the "it depends" comes in. While working on the overhead in ours, I installed a light in the bunk area. I found FR had glued up blocks of foam and ran the wiring in channels. The wiring is also glued in. Yet, there are open channels running fore and aft, but whether they run full length or are offset is not known. I struggled with routing a wire back to the light as you see here:

Even though the wire was immediately above the fixture. Fortunately, the wire was routed forward for the entertainment center that I had removed, so I looped it back to the fixture. I couldn't use the wire as routed right above the fixture as it was glued in place.

I found there is a small space between the top of the foam and the plywood backing on the roof, however. In my case, I might be able to route a wire across using that small space.

That all said, I'm relaying my experience with our 2016 2250 Sunseeker. I have no idea how yours is constructed. You might want to drop the fixture to see if there is a passage between the roof plywood and the foam block.

Routing aside, the wiring is easy - route a pair from the fixture to the switch. Wire both to the switch. At the fixture, cut the colored wire (as the white is common/ground, typically), and splice each wire from the switch to each end of the wire you just cut. Now you'll have a wall switch to control the ceiling lamp.

I can draw up a schematic, if you would like.

Hope that helps!

2016 2250LE/Chevy
Formerly: 2000 Four Winds 26Q/Ford, '96 Kit Sportsmaster 22' 5th wheel, '91 Sunlite truck camper, Wildernest flip-top canopy
brucemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I have never seen a 12 volt light switch with back light,,, would be a great thing !!!
You can even buy the base and face plate separate, their part number is 12305 for a black one like mine in my camper, but available in white or brown also. then you could put in other switches several of which are lighted. This is more expensive option but not horrible to get what you really want

Maurice, LA

2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
1973 Layton 23' (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote

light, switch