Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #41

Got the okay from factory to get alignment done and they will reimburse,can't ask for more than that. Let me give a plug here to Kelly,sales manager at Rv Wholesalers. This is my 3rd Rv in 5 years and each and every time I buy he beats every deal I get. And,beats it handily and never brow beats me about the prices I have. And his personal service after the sale can't be beat. I was texting him this past weekend on his time off and he responded back.

I have yet to see what the 5 star tuning will do.Mike the owner answered all my questions and sold me the unit on Sunday his day off. It's just rare to see these services now a days.
Kernsstmarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #42

10-4 on rv wholesalers, am closing on my rig Tuesday
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #43

Before spending money on stabilizers, sway bars, etc take your E450 motorhome to a big truck alignment shop and get it aligned. Take the alignment specs from this blog site and give to the alignment guy. When they tell you they will need to replace the standard ford bushings to meet the spec, say, thank you and hand over the credit card. With or without reimbursement, best single expenditure to improve the handling.
After the next long trip, June, my 3170 will be back to the shop for an alignment check now that the steering has gotten worn in.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #44

We have a 2013 3100 with about 8000 miles. Honestly I am pretty happy with how it drives. It tracks pretty straight with just one hand (actually just a couple fingers) on the wheel. When a truck passes I generally use two hands just out of caution. I've driven the thing probably about 50 different days and have really only had to fight it a time or two. So, what say others, is it worth improving given that I'm fairly happy? If so, what and how much? Thanks!
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
We have a 2013 3100 with about 8000 miles. Honestly I am pretty happy with how it drives. It tracks pretty straight with just one hand (actually just a couple fingers) on the wheel. When a truck passes I generally use two hands just out of caution. I've driven the thing probably about 50 different days and have really only had to fight it a time or two. So, what say others, is it worth improving given that I'm fairly happy? If so, what and how much? Thanks!

I am thrilled you unit drives so well. All I can say is during the 3 hour journey from the dealer I questioned what had I bought. It was white knuckle the entire trip. It was truly a safety issue. After research and reading this blog, I had it aligned. I was thrilled on the 20 mile trip from the truck shop because the family was waiting for me to get home for the trip to Disney World. It drove beautifully.. I could not be happier. Oh, I did submit the bill to the dealer and got reimbursed for the alignment. I have done no additional work.
The alignment with bushings was $238 parts and labor. Took about 3 hours.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #46

Garrett I 100% feel your pain. I installed the safe t plus today and inflated bags to 85 lbs, tires to 75 and 80 with no difference. I have it scheduled tomorrow to get alignment according to specs posted. Taking a 140 mile one way trip Friday and hopes that fixes it. I run a Couple Ford dealerships and we also loaded the 5 star tuner today. I'll report back on Monday and let everyone know how it went. Hoping the shift patterns changed a lot and would like to see small increase in MPG( getting 6.1 at this time with 970 miles on it). Had a 2000 Pacearrow before that I could eat a Hardys bacon double while driving the mountains in West Virginia doing 70 with one hand. So needless to say I'm alittle disappointed to spend $64,000 to get what I have right now
Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernsstmarys View Post
Garrett I 100% feel your pain. I installed the safe t plus today and inflated bags to 85 lbs, tires to 75 and 80 with no difference. I have it scheduled tomorrow to get alignment according to specs posted. Taking a 140 mile one way trip Friday and hopes that fixes it. I run a Couple Ford dealerships and we also loaded the 5 star tuner today. I'll report back on Monday and let everyone know how it went. Hoping the shift patterns changed a lot and would like to see small increase in MPG( getting 6.1 at this time with 970 miles on it). Had a 2000 Pacearrow before that I could eat a Hardys bacon double while driving the mountains in West Virginia doing 70 with one hand. So needless to say I'm alittle disappointed to spend $64,000 to get what I have right now

You will be amazed what a good alignment will do to the feel and handling. Your mileage definitely is on the low side unless you are pulling a heavy toad. Also I have seen some people feel they need to run in Tow/haul mode all the time which you don't have to do and it kills fuel mileage.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #48

Quote:

VERY interested in the 5star tuner. Have been looking at it on line but a little reluctant to purchase for several reasons. Please let us know if there is an improvement in MPG.
Does the tune harm the ford warranty?
On your mileage, you should get at least 8mpg without a toad. I do with my 3170. Just added a toad so, I will soon learn the damage.
Let us know your results. Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #49

Okay here's a 120 mile report. Absolutely love the 5 star tuning. Not enough miles to check fuel economy. No noticeable increase in power. BUT on the small hills we encountered there was a noticeable difference. The annoying down shifting was completely gone. So I believe when I head to Myrtle Beach the 1st of June I'll be glad I went with the purchase. The drive ability is still a issue. safe T Plus installed,alignment to specs ,all pressures set......absolute nightmare still. Never experienced anything quite like this. Every gust of crosswind blows me completely across the white lines. Requires constant attention to the road?? I'm running out of things to try?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Okay here's a 120 mile report. Absolutely love the 5 star tuning. Not enough miles to check fuel economy. No noticeable increase in power. BUT on the small hills we encountered there was a noticeable difference. The annoying down shifting was completely gone. So I believe when I head to Myrtle Beach the 1st of June I'll be glad I went with the purchase. The drive ability is still a issue. safe T Plus installed,alignment to specs ,all pressures set......absolute nightmare still. Never experienced anything quite like this. Every gust of crosswind blows me completely across the white lines. Requires constant attention to the road?? I'm running out of things to try?

Let us know how the sway bar replacement goes. Been reading on this. Is supposed to control sway, wind push. Etc. just something else for you to try. Let us know about the MPG.
Please pose the part numbers for your safe T plus. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #51

Quote:

Did you align it to meet Ford Specs or the specs listed by Brian on this forum? The Ford specs are very broad and sloppy. The specs listed on the forum are still acceptable to Ford because they are within Fords wide tolerances. I believe the key is to get the proper cross camber and caster setting difference between the left and right sides. For some reason the chassis does not like the camber and caster settings the same for each side.

These settings seem to work well with the standard front and rear sway bars and however if you changed the bars these settings may not work as well.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #52

ATVer

Have you had your front end aligned to the talked about spec. I have a 2013 3010ds with 3900 miles. I would like it to not wonder on the road as much as it dose. I contacted the dealer where I bought the new rig at to see if they would do an alignment for me. They will not call me back. I would like to see forest river help with this after spending so much money on are new motorhome. We are going out to Colorado next month and I do not want to counter steer all the way out and back. Any help or advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Dale.
bikeit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #53

Mine is aligned to very similar specifications. When I bought my RV in Dec 2011 this info was not on the forum. I knew within 5 miles the front end wasn't right but interestingly when I took it to an alignment shop and they test drove it said there was nothing wrong and that was the way Fords drove. I said humor me and lets get it on the rack and get some numbers. Turns out except for toe which was a little out it was within the rather broad Ford specs. I then worked out with the tech some adjustments we thought might make it better. It made a world of difference and it drives almost like a car. No more bump steer and heavy feeling steering. When Brian posted the specs he had heard worked well, they were very close to where mine were set. Since that time several people who have used these specs have posted good results.
All my costs were reimbursed by FR but with 4K miles you might be too late. Most RV dealers don't have alignment capability but you need to use a shop that has experience with Fords. The 50 year design old twin I beam suspension used on our rigs is not something every shop has a good knowledge about.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #54

I aligned my according to specs on here. I must say even with the Safe-T Plus I'm very dissatisfied. I've got 14 days to get it figured out before I head to Myrtle Beach.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #55

e450 the drifter

I understand what you are saying, I have driven medium and heavy trucks most of my life. The way this unit drifts around on the road makes you wonder what is going on.

From the posts I have read you need to put some miles on before you do the alignment.

I called forest river today they told me a different story, they said I can get a alignment send them a bill and they might or might not pay. I just have 3000 miles and in storage building most of the time. I am not sure what I am going to do. Thanks for your input Dale.
bikeit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #56

I have a 2nd alignment scheduled for next Tuesday. I'm willing to pay to make sure first one is specs I wanted. So I'll let you know tues night
Old 05-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #57

On our trip north I'm stopping in NC at a trk alignment
shop I have has been recommend. Get it done
right

Phelpo
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelpo View Post
On our trip north I'm stopping in NC at a trk alignment
shop I have has been recommend. Get it done
right

Phelpo

Let us know how it goes and the name of the shop.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #59

ATV had his done at:

Line'em up wheel alignment
goldsboro nc
919-580-9980

talk to Mike
Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #60

Can somebody please repost the alignment specs that everyone is talking about?
Thanks!
randomblitz is offline   Reply With Quote