Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

owners of 3010ds and 3011ds how does your rig drive?

I'm curious to the ride and handling of the new f450's, say 2011-2014.
Have you had to add and add'l handling suspension parts to
improve the handling?

Like shocks, sway bars etc.

Thanks in advance to these owners.

Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #2

Mine is a 2013, drives like a lumber wagon towing a billboard. Ok, not that bad. No mods, just be very carefull. Crosswinds and semi-trailers give me the most problems.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

thanks Mike, When I had my Newmar 35' gaser the only thing that
was a problem was box trucks. Semi's not that much of a problem

Phelpo
Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Hills... Even small ones sends my rig into fits of overdrive. We just bought the 5star program after friends recommended it. Once all this snow goes away we can install it. Coming from a 3500 van and travel trailer, I think our rig handles well for its size. Drove from WDW to Myrtle Beach in a wind storm and really had to man handle it but not any more than with the trailer
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswing60 View Post
Hills... Even small ones sends my rig into fits of overdrive. We just bought the 5star program after friends recommended it. Once all this snow goes away we can install it. Coming from a 3500 van and travel trailer, I think our rig handles well for its size. Drove from WDW to Myrtle Beach in a wind storm and really had to man handle it but not any more than with the trailer
KSwing60 keep us updated on the installation of the 5star tune. Interested to know what your opinion of it is.

Rzbot
Rzbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswing60 View Post
Hills... Even small ones sends my rig into fits of overdrive. We just bought the 5star program after friends recommended it.
Was that with tow mode on or in cruise control. I found with my unit, either on when being passed by semi's will cause downshifting, sometimes to 2nd gear.
The 5 Star will allow you to modify your shift points so you can break-away from the Ford program.

To the OP; there are other mods you can do to stiffen the steering sway or rear axle sway. One easy adjustment to reduce rear end sway is to inflate the air bags to around 85-90 psi. It will make for a rougher ride but the coach won't sway nearly as much as it would with 60psi or less in the bags.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Do a search in this forum on class c alignment there is some custom alignment specs that work wonders for class c f450 . also an aftermarket steering stabilizer is a good upgrade and like bgilly said increased airbag pressure helps.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

thanks for the replies, but I'm asking those who own these rigs now
how is the ride/sway from the factory. I have added add'l suspenions
on my previous gasser.

Thanks again

Phelpo
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #9

Phelpo, sorry to not have been helpful directly to your unit. I felt that any coach equal to or greater than your 3010 (Ford F450 is what you mentioned in your post) would be helpful.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #10

Just took mine out this weekend locally. I traded in a 1994 30foot class A on Chevy frame for 3010 on a e-450. It has a ton more power and is a 100% better ride. I am very happy. I have nothing to complain about. Rock solid IMO. i dont miss the rocking feeling at all.

My only complaint is the drivers side cabinet doors over the couch area dont open far enough. Easy fix.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

gbilly, no problem......I'm just trying to get a heads
up before taking delivery of my 3011ds in late
april/may. Knowledge is king and I love these
forums. I finally got to measure a e450 windshield
so that we can pre make our windshield cover. taking
delivery 1000 plus miles away does have it disadvantages.

Phelpo
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

Alignment is key to Fords handling well. IMHO the 60 year old twin I beam design is not a good as the Chevy double A frame but will be replaced when the new Transconnect chassis makes it into motor homes. When I took delivery I knew within a mile of driving, it wasn't right. It had terrible bump steer and heavy feeling steering over undulating road surfaces. When I took it to an alignment shop they test drove it and said it was normal for Fords and not to waste money on an alignment. I said humor me and lets get the numbers. Turns out it did meet Ford's specs which are quite broad. Anyway the tech was willing to work with me and we installed adjustable upper bushings and came up with some changes which made a world of difference. Turns out they were close to what was posted here earlier. Between alignment and ride height setting of the air bags you should end up with something that drives and handles car like with minimal to no sway from passing vehicles. If you need an alignment FR will reimburse you for the charges or at least they did for me with my dealers help.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #13

I was confused about where the alignment specs are posted. They are on a currently active Forester Forum thread.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
BEFUDDELED MEMBER

13-3010
Weigh the rig loaded for the road including 20 gal fresh water, 20gal blk or grey , full fuel. You will find you are within 10 to 15% of max gaw front and rear which will require the Tires at 80# and air bags at 90# for sable ride . Even in 50 -70 mph winds broadside and quarter winds I can maintain 65mph while holding the steering wheel up to 90* left or right depending on wind direction and maintain lane even while being or passing semi's. No other suspension or steering mods necessary.
Just my experience in the mountain south and northwest and gulf coast to Fl.
Not fun driving in those conditions but not WHITE KNUCKLE driving either
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #15

I just drove my 2012 3010DS 450 miles on cruise and tow/haul through 30-40mph side gusts with no particular problems. Even my four granddaughters (all under age 12) didn't complain about any swaying.
lshields01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #16

Installed the 5Star tune upgrade and what a difference. The transmission shifts much better. No more high RPMs. Going up hills it downshifts one gear at a time instead of dropping down two gears. After doing the install there was a check engine light. Read the diagnostic code and it was a RAM error. Contacted the vendor and the next day sent out a new tune program that resolved the check engine light. Overall we are very satisfied with the results and the customer service. Have not filled the tank after our last trip we went about 250 miles on a half tank of regular gas.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #17

owners of 3010ds and 3011ds how does your rig drive?

Kswing60 which tune are you using, towing, performance or gas milage? Also are you using regular 87 octane fuel with this tune?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #18

I have a 2014 3010 on the E-450 chassis. There is a lot of sway at highway speeds, especially when I get passed by big trucks. I haven't tried adjusting the air bags yet, as the valves are too short for my air pressure gauge to get a reading

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #19

Tm, how fast were you traveling? 62 mph is about best for
mileage, what about air pressure? You need these kind of
dialed in to get the best ride
Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #20

Using 87 octane. It comes with a custom tune for towing and without