Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Picking up 3170DS tomorrow

So we're heading to Des Moines, IA in the morning to pick up our motorhome from RVDirect. Then we turn around and make the 1000 mile drive back home, stopping for two nights along the way. Hopefully the PDI goes well with no major issues.

Anyone have any tips for the PDI or the drive back? Other than a short test drive, I don't have any experience driving something this large, so I'm a tad anxious. I guess I'll have plenty of opportunity to learn over the next few days.

Anyway, looking forward to joining the rest of you Sunseeker owners!
henders98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on taking delivery of your new MH! If possible consider staying in the general area for the first night. Will a staff member be willing to take you out and give some tips for driving & parking?

I'm sure you will do just fine. Get some rest and enjoy being the owners of a new MH.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #3

You'll do fine driving! We picked ours up in DesMoines in March and drove 300 miles (having never driven a class C) . Just take it easy. You don't have to be the fastest on the road. Watch your mirrors for trucks passing you as they will push you a little. Very quickly you will get use to it and it will be second nature-nothing to worry about.

Our PDI was great. Went through everything then let us just explore a little and ask questions. Everything was well prepared. We actually did not find anything that needed correcting.

Have a great trip.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Be sure to check the roof, our fron cap was poorly caulked and already had an area that could have caused a leak. We also found NO caulking on half the baggage doors and none on half the rear marker lamps, the person must have been distracted or fighting a mean hang over. Also, check the bunk slide with the Schwintech system, we had a torn seal and the slide was poorly adjusted.

Just a few suggestions ontop of the normal PDI items that include full systems checks and so on.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We returned from our trip yesterday and really love the motorhome. The PDI went fine. Only thing we noticed on the ride home was that the bedroom slide seemed to squeak when we encountered less-than-ideal roads. You could hear it from the driver's seat. It seemed to be coming from the far corner near the rear of the coach. The sofa/stove slide didn't have this problem. Any suggestions with that?

Driving it wasn't bad at all. We drove about 4 hours that first night before stopping to get some sleep, and by that next morning when we got back on the road, I felt 100% more confident in handling it.

We already have our next camping trip planned in two weeks. Can't wait.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #6

Congratulations on your new RV. Sure you will love it.
extreme90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

Is your 3170 with the bunk beds or the computer desk? I just bought the one with the computer desk and will pick it up Tuesday. I am having trouble finding anyone else that has the 3170 with the computer desk. I want to compare notes!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #8

Sorry, mine is the bunk model. My local dealer had a Forester with the desk option that we walked through. Would be quite nice if you didn't need the extra beds.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
2013 Sunseeker 3170DS FD

Keep an eye out for the brake lights!

Mine just lost all the bulbs on the rear brake lights including signal function. Tom Raper's mechanic said all the bulbs were bad.

Also, check the seals around the rear lights. I also noticed that the rear light housing on multiple Sunseeker vehicles appear to have been installed upside down. That or the housing manufacture wants the buyer to read their name upside down on the rear light housing.
Swing Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #10

Congrats on your purchase, we just picked up a bunk model last week. Now we're trying to figure out how to squeeze in some weekend trips.
jk143893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk143893 View Post
Congrats on your purchase, we just picked up a bunk model last week. Now we're trying to figure out how to squeeze in some weekend trips.
Where there's a will there's a way....usually. Driveway camping is good too since it can refresh your memory before hitting the road.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #12

We just picked up a 3010DS two weeks ago and completed our maidian shake down trip. It was a 500 miler and we mainly had two issues. We had a small squeak that was being generated from the U-Shaped table. I took that down and no more squeak. The second was the Megnadyne GPS re-boot problem that I'm starting to learn about.
bmstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags