Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Please educate me on tow dollies

I want to tow my 2013 Honda CRV behind my Sunseeker. I am considering a tow dolly or towing flat. It seems a tow dolly is cheaper but then I have to deal with it when not in use. So for those have done both, what are the plusses and minuses of each method?

Also, I assume the dollies need brakes? Do they have electric brakes like most other trailers? I assume I would need to get a brake controller installed as well? Is the Ford chassis pre-wired for the controller?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can tow an all wheel drive with a tow dolly. Maybe yours is a fwd. if it is, I know there are some dollies that have surge brakes, which would make it pretty easy. We have a 2001 crv and flat tow it. We use a blu Ox bar with a patriot brake system. I bought them barely used on Craigslist.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #3

We just bought a 2012 CRV AWD to eliminate the tow dolly. We have used a dolly to tow a PT Cruiser for a couple of years. Check your car's specs.

Dolly - if you have a front wheel drive car, the start up costs are less and you have car flexibility. Many tow dollies have brakes, either electric or surge. We selected one with surge brakes so we we didn't have to mess with the controller wiring. Hookup is not hard but we have to crawl under the front of the car to install the safety chains. Cost was $1,200 for a used Demco Kar Kaddy SS.

4-down - once you invest in the setup, hookup and disconnect are easier (no direct experience other than watching others). Our setup costs will be about $4,000 for parts and labor, including some wiring in the MH.

Conclusion - either works, it really depends on your car and budget.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

The Ford chassis is prewired for electric brake controls if you end up going that way. I installed a brake controller but use it for pulling an ATV trailer as my tow dolly has surge brakes. Tow dollies usually take more effort to hook up the car but if you do a lot of towing put less wear and tear on the car as pretty much all the systems except the engine are still being used on 4 down. Also we don't even tow unless the trip is more than several hours. It's just simpler and easier for my wife to just drive it. Stops or getting gas is less of a hassle without something under tow and you can't really back up with either method.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

Dealing with the tow dolly is a royal pain in the butt once you try to stow it. We towed our HHR with a Blue Ox tow bar and never had any problems. Which ever way you go you're going to need extra braking. Surge on the dolly or something like brake buddy for four down. It's much cheaper and safer than prematurely wearing out your motorhome brakes.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

The biggest disadvantage of a tow dolly to me is if you get caught somewhere and have to unhook to turn around. Huge process compared to unhooking your toad and temporarily hanging the cables on the MH bumper.
RandyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #7

Tow Dollie

I have an eze tow tow dollie with hydraulic disc brakes which requires no wiring or braking device for my CR-V (I pulled a 2007 and now a 2014 CR-V). The dollie is all welded construction and weighs only 500 lbs and comes with sure grip metal ramps, an extra wheel and tire, and LED lights. I modified the safety chain hookup that now only takes a minute to hook and unhook without getting under the car. I pull with a FR Georgetown XL 377 and traveled 10 states without any problems. Keep the straps tight, the steering wheel unlocked, and the emergency brake disengaged. Cost around 1,600 to 1,700 plus shipping. Weight capacity is 5,000 lbs allowing the ability to pull most any front wheel drive vehicle.
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #8

Tow dolly will let you tow any front wheel drive vehicle and is very convenient for that. We didn't know what we were going to tow so it worked for us. Much more of a pain loading vehicle especially in the rain. Ramps get wet and difficult to get vehicle up on dolly. You only want pull through sites with tow dolly. You don't want to unhook and push dolly around before backing in a spot. You can move a tow dolly around but mine was fairly heavy and a pain. My 4 down setup cost $3000 that included brake system. It only takes a few minutes to hook up or unhook. I won't go back to dolly but to each their own. Many newer vehicles that used to be 4 down capable are now not, be sure to do your homework. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #9

rparker, I have the same dolly. Love it, well built, light and easy to use. Loading a Honda Fit is a snap. What modification did you do to safety chains? They're the worst part of loading. Still can unload in less then 3 minutes.
Tommy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker3040 View Post
I have an eze tow tow dollie with hydraulic disc brakes which requires no wiring or braking device for my CR-V (I pulled a 2007 and now a 2014 CR-V). .
That is the dolly I am looking at if I go that route.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

My CR-V has two iron tow loops welded to the frame near the front bumper. I bolted two heavy chains to the dollie with clamps on one end that connects to the loops on the CR-V. It takes just a few seconds to connect each one. I can also adjust the links on the chain.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #12

Looks like they have made some new improvements since I got mine about 3 yrs ago.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #13

I have both. Flat tow a Tacoma Prerunner. For the dolly I have the choice of 2 different cars. Depends on which vehicle we take. I have the Roadmaster Falcon 2 with the Roadmaster Brakemaster with breakaway (air over hydraulic) for the flat tow. My dolly has surge brakes. Hooking up the flat tow is not quick as need to hook up the tow bars, then hook up the safety cables (x2), then plug in the air for brakes, then clip on the breakaway cable, then plug in the electrical (for running lights/brake lights), then set the Brakemaster inside the vehicle clipping it to the floor, then hook to the peddle, then plug in the air. Do all the same for unhooking. Not quick but can do most with only bending over or getting on a knee. Now hooking up the dolly is drive it on, then put on the tire straps (x2) and tighten down, then plug in electrical for lights, then must get down on a knee(s) to hook up safety chains. I prefer the flat tow, but I think the dolly is easier but then you have the problem of what to do with a dolly when camping. Perhaps I just have the wrong flat tow system and others are easier.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #14

I went with a Tandem Tow Dolly so we can carry either the golf cart or motorcycle and our Fiesta. To help deal with tongue weight and maneuvering around I removed the stock jack and added the Trailer Valet. It is incredibly awesome I have a pretty good incline on my driveway and can crank it down the hill and park on a dime exactly where I need it.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat