Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #21

When we started (in 2011 )..we. bought a slightly used 2010 Puma 26rlss TT...One issue in 1 year sold it..,,then bought a new 2012 Keystone 299 rks 34 ft 2 slideout 5ver (twice as ...much money ) 5 issues.total..last year we sold the Keystone and bought ..a new 2014 Prime time Crusader 325 ..3 slideouts ... 10k more ...15 issues and counting...in fact..back to the dealer the 3rd time right now ...for the A/C
Old 07-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Weezer.
I used his own words.

If you'd like I can reference them for you.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #23
NELA

Turbo,

I'll take your word for it, but I'll give you a scenario;

I can call my sister (or even myself) an old hag, but if someone else calls her (or me) the same thing, it's a totally different thing.

We all (or the overwhelming majority) own Forest River products. A new person coming here might not KNOW he called his FOREST RIVER product a POS and that you're just repeating what HE said.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Sure hope this thread/forum does not sink into "class warfare" cuz this old man will be outta here in a flash!

Survived too many years to read this kind of stuff!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Y'all play nice, ya hear !!

This thread is really close to being closed. I have already had to do a little cleaning in the aisles, plus flagging this thread as a "hot topic".

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #26

Glad to get the conversation going. I have a daughter currently living in Mishawaka and working at a hospital and her husband works in Elkhart for the Railroad. When you FROGS are to Goshen, get off I-80 and explore the area. Go visit the river front in Mishawak..... drive down Hiway 20 through Middlebury and see and visit the slower lane of life with the Amish and their horses and carriages and the people. I spent a week earlier this spring and explored (even Goshen) the area, from South Bend to the Ohio line. One event is great, but also explore a little.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #27

I do want to note: that I have been camping right now.... from the 3rd to the 14th.... (state park with WI-FI) my wife and I have been saying time after time during this week that we love our unit more and more..... but we do add... as long as everything works. We have fixed and killed every bug we could find and the slides are working as they should before this trip and we are happy with her. We have camped around 25 days this year and have Reservations so far for 15 more and may pick up some more days if we can before the end of the year. I don't like high maintenance women and I don't like high maintenance stuff. I treat my wife as a queen and feel humbly inadequate when things don't work or go wrong. I do what God gave my carnal nature to do..... wine and more wine... with my cheese please.

My apologies to Turbs. He may not realize it but I admire him very much.

My POS is growing into a Rose....

Blessings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I do want to note: that I have been camping right now.... from the 3rd to the 14th.... (state park with WI-FI) my wife and I have been saying time after time during this week that we love our unit more and more..... but we do add... as long as everything works. We have fixed and killed every bug we could find and the slides are working as they should before this trip and we are happy with her. We have camped around 25 days this year and have Reservations so far for 15 more and may pick up some more days if we can before the end of the year. I don't like high maintenance women and I don't like high maintenance stuff. I treat my wife as a queen and feel humbly inadequate when things don't work or go wrong. I do what God gave my carnal nature to do..... wine and more wine... with my cheese please.

My apologies to Turbs. He may not realize it but I admire him very much.

My POS is growing into a Rose....

Blessings
Ok now I smiled
Forgive and forgot.
I apologise for being rash and inconsiderate.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Bv carmel time?

After reviewing my post, I'm thinking so....

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
the post after "1." is SO wrong. Do we REALLY want those of us who own nicer RVs putting down those who maybe can't afford one of the same price or class?

Do we really want to engage in calling someone else's RV a "POS"?

First I apologize

Second I think I may have either been misinterpreted or misstated my case. I apologize again for being unthinking before I hit send.

What I was trying to communicate is something that I do to completely understand yet, but am beginning to realize; that being that there are different build levels in RVs. Please all, I am not trying to be class conscious here or be better than thou I guess my communication methods have failed me - I am usually more tactful.

What I seem to be observing - and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong! Is a continuum of quality and quality assurance among the brands. Am I correct or not? Please educate me.

Again if I have offended anyone please accept my most humble and abject apologies. My comments were not directed toward you or the RV you own, they were directed toward the industry and dealerships.

I am embarrassed and mortified that my post was misinterpreted because of my inept wording. Again, please accept my apology.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
the post after "1." is SO wrong. Do we REALLY want those of us who own nicer RVs putting down those who maybe can't afford one of the same price or class?

Do we really want to engage in calling someone else's RV a "POS"?

I am SO sorry Weezer! I did not meant to say that the camper model was a POS but that the camper ITSELF was a POS because the dealer was derelict in their PDI

Again I apologize for being so unclear

Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #32
Incheon, S. Korea

Why does it have to be this way?

I see the quality issue all over in many different forums. I know about the forums because I had such significant quality issues on my "inexpensive" pop-up. I didn't have an opportunity to do a PDI in-person because of my location (South Korea).
I assumed that it would be similar in quality to my 2007 Starcraft. Big mistake. BIG MISTAKE.
I found these forums because of my problems. I was very noisy. Coachmen did get me the parts I needed, but I still had significant problems. Coachmen doesn't sell my model of trailer anymore and has significantly reduced the number of popups it sells. Market demand or reputation problems? I don't know.
Somerset is apparently dying a slow and painful death because of quality control. The bigger FR brands have depth to sustain them, but a lot of them started as the acquisition of dying companies by FR.
"Just go to Goshen." Why should someone have to drive all the way to Goshen? Why don't dealers make sure they product they are selling is in a saleable condition? This is an industry-wide problem.
It does, however, seem to be getting worse IMO. Search for axle problems if you want an example.
My rant is over. Am I nuts?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Whoa....I must have missed some stuff. This thread got its very own warning label.

I think I'm normally the one that is brash and impatient. Just glad to see I'm not the only one that can get overly "passionate" about something.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #34

Back to the OP's questions....we had some issues after our shakedown trip, which were immediately taken care of by our dealer. We had a mystery odor that took multiple trips and should have never been so difficult to solve. A Forest River rep was the one to suggest a fix (on the phone), which worked.
We approached these things much like a "punch list" after a major construction project or new home build. We were annoyed at the time, but the company stood by its product and took care of it.
We loooooove our current Sunseeker 3170, use it most weekends from April to October (plus a week at Christmas) and are very happy. Love the layout. The materials. And even the storage amount.
Happy camping!
Reinita is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #35

Very Impressed

WOW....I counted four apologies for words that may have been taken out of context or hastily written posts. My faith in this forum just went up.

Renita.....we too love our 3170 for all of the reasons you have stated. I still break out in a sweat and get really anxious when something isn't right. However, this is happening less and less and we are learning more and more about the infrastructure of the unit. That helps a lot because our confidence that we will work through a problem is helping us deal with things better.

There is NO DOUBT, we remain concerned about the service provided by our dealer...They are so wonderfully successful that they compeletely enjoy their over-run maintenance operation as it is a cash cow and if the result is frustrated customers.......they will say I am sorry then we get back in line (like good little RVers) and wait for the next available service advisor to stare at us with a blank stare as we describe our on-going frustration......

So I am smiling more and more on this topic as i am using this forum and learning from the school of hard knocks and becoming increasingly independent....Life is Good.
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #36

My thoughts

My thoughts are this. I bought a 2013 3170 DS last year and have driven the wheels off of it. There are things that make me wonder what the engineers were thinking, but overall it is a great unit. It always starts, the slides always work, the genset fires right up. The quality of the cheap materials is kind of funny when you consider how much money we pay. But like I said...we have driven the crap out of it and will keep on rolling. Hate the jackknife sofa!
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
3170, quality