Old 07-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #31
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
the post after "1." is SO wrong. Do we REALLY want those of us who own nicer RVs putting down those who maybe can't afford one of the same price or class?

Do we really want to engage in calling someone else's RV a "POS"?

I am SO sorry Weezer! I did not meant to say that the camper model was a POS but that the camper ITSELF was a POS because the dealer was derelict in their PDI

Again I apologize for being so unclear

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS

Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #32
Incheon, S. Korea
Why does it have to be this way?

I see the quality issue all over in many different forums. I know about the forums because I had such significant quality issues on my "inexpensive" pop-up. I didn't have an opportunity to do a PDI in-person because of my location (South Korea).
I assumed that it would be similar in quality to my 2007 Starcraft. Big mistake. BIG MISTAKE.
I found these forums because of my problems. I was very noisy. Coachmen did get me the parts I needed, but I still had significant problems. Coachmen doesn't sell my model of trailer anymore and has significantly reduced the number of popups it sells. Market demand or reputation problems? I don't know.
Somerset is apparently dying a slow and painful death because of quality control. The bigger FR brands have depth to sustain them, but a lot of them started as the acquisition of dying companies by FR.
"Just go to Goshen." Why should someone have to drive all the way to Goshen? Why don't dealers make sure they product they are selling is in a saleable condition? This is an industry-wide problem.
It does, however, seem to be getting worse IMO. Search for axle problems if you want an example.
My rant is over. Am I nuts?

Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #33
Whoa....I must have missed some stuff. This thread got its very own warning label.

I think I'm normally the one that is brash and impatient. Just glad to see I'm not the only one that can get overly "passionate" about something.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #34
Back to the OP's questions....we had some issues after our shakedown trip, which were immediately taken care of by our dealer. We had a mystery odor that took multiple trips and should have never been so difficult to solve. A Forest River rep was the one to suggest a fix (on the phone), which worked.
We approached these things much like a "punch list" after a major construction project or new home build. We were annoyed at the time, but the company stood by its product and took care of it.
We loooooove our current Sunseeker 3170, use it most weekends from April to October (plus a week at Christmas) and are very happy. Love the layout. The materials. And even the storage amount.
Happy camping!
Reinita is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #35
Very Impressed

WOW....I counted four apologies for words that may have been taken out of context or hastily written posts. My faith in this forum just went up.

Renita.....we too love our 3170 for all of the reasons you have stated. I still break out in a sweat and get really anxious when something isn't right. However, this is happening less and less and we are learning more and more about the infrastructure of the unit. That helps a lot because our confidence that we will work through a problem is helping us deal with things better.

There is NO DOUBT, we remain concerned about the service provided by our dealer...They are so wonderfully successful that they compeletely enjoy their over-run maintenance operation as it is a cash cow and if the result is frustrated customers.......they will say I am sorry then we get back in line (like good little RVers) and wait for the next available service advisor to stare at us with a blank stare as we describe our on-going frustration......

So I am smiling more and more on this topic as i am using this forum and learning from the school of hard knocks and becoming increasingly independent....Life is Good.
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #36
My thoughts

My thoughts are this. I bought a 2013 3170 DS last year and have driven the wheels off of it. There are things that make me wonder what the engineers were thinking, but overall it is a great unit. It always starts, the slides always work, the genset fires right up. The quality of the cheap materials is kind of funny when you consider how much money we pay. But like I said...we have driven the crap out of it and will keep on rolling. Hate the jackknife sofa!

MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

3170, quality