Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Poor Quality Construction of 3170ds

Has anyone else been experiencing poor quality construction of the Sunseeker 3170ds? When i say poor quality i mean small things, such as the cabinet doors falling off, interior lights not working, etc. i just bought a new 2014 3170ds and pretty much have had it with Forest River. I havent used the motorhome once and ive already had 2 cabinet doors pull out of the wood when trying to open them and the long cupholder behind the couch has fallen out of the wall. And inside one of the exterior storage compartments, the inside edge of the frame has started to pull apart from the wood. Also, i opened the awning for the first time and there are two small tears in it. A brand new machine shouldnt be having these problems. And i cant seem to find a way to contact Forest River about it either.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #2

Bring all of these to the attention of your dealer. Warranty claims start with the dealer.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #3

It's the nature of the beast when dealing with the RV industry. If you didn't check it before you bought it, you either learn to fix it yourself or bring it to the dealer.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

Agreed it's the nature of the RV industry. It's not like buying a car but more like buying a new house. You should spend a couple hours going thru it to find all the issues during the prepurchase walkdown just like you would do with a new house.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #5

absolutely no way to go thru everything in 2 hours. We went in we thought prepared for the walk through, and missed a lot of items that needed repair. we brought up a small rip in the leather couch and was told the company wouldn't warranty it... I said" warranty, you're kidding I brought this up before the sale" they ordered the part but we haven't got it yet and that was months ago.... The couch company just can't seem to understand what part is needed we are told... service after the sale, you got to be kidding!

We like the MH, but the quality of workmanship is to be desired, the excuses are not even believable.. And, the dealer doesn't care, they have our money. Its just the way it is!

And to top it off, I get a letter from the person who sold us the unit asking if we have made up our mind on buying a MH from him / the dealership. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.... It is what it is... You tend to just give up after a while or you would never get to drive it.

This isn't my first RV, but may be my last new one, I'm getting to old to deal with people who don't really care about service after the sale. You might as well buy a nice low use, used rig, you get about the same warranty LOL

Enough said... It is what it is!
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #6

Well, for whatever reason, this industry has a customer base that accepts this as "Part of being an RVer". In any other industry, an unacceptable level of manufacturing quality and and pathetic "after-sale" support and service would lead to a decline in the profitability of that company. The issue is that the industry is a virtual monopoly (or perhaps oligopy) and the dealers are permitted to sink to the lowest common denominator.....Consumers are virtually helpless to impact this.

The ones who are not impacted are the ones who "expect this as a natural character of the industry" and those who are handy enough (and enjoy it enough) to fix that which is wrong.

Since I do not fit into either of these categories, it requires me to scream long and loud and get contacts at the manufacturer. In fairness, that is not why I signed up for the RV life...it was to and bring less stress and relaxation to our lives.

From where I sit, this is ridiculous but acceptable for two reasons.....Our family loves the lifestyle AND we have invested a ton of money into this lifestyle and have to rationalize the headaches associated with it......The alternative is to bail and we are not prepared to do that......Most of us aren't which is precisely why things never change !!!!!
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

We do have a long time member here who works at Sunseeker. I am sure he will read this and try to find out what is going on with your warranty claims.

A reminder to the OP, and others, we are not affiliated with FR, we are just a bunch of folks who use (and for the most part) LOVE our Forest River product. There are some members who work for FR who have joined for various reasons (the biggie is that they are RV'ers too who use the product) and can sometimes help other members.

They are here because they want to be and help (or not) because they want to. While the squeaky wheel may get the grease at the dealership; here it seems to get the reverse effect. "More flies with honey" so to speak.

Having an "ear" at the company is helpful and those who chose to "out" themselves are potentially setting themselves up for abuse; so if you do get a PM or a reply from a rep, remember he or she is not your personal whipping boy. They really are trying to help you.

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #8

We have a 2011 Sunseeker 3100 that we bought new, ordered to our specifications. We've only had minor problems. After our two shakedown weekends the dealer fixed everything. That's the only time we ever took it back, even though it's only 5 miles to the dealer and they are great to work with. Everything else I've done myself.

Actually, the only problems I remember are one or two loose hinges (used larger screws to fix), piece of junk overhead cabinet door lifts (replaced with a better grade for about $3 each), and the 12-volt/phone line receptacle pulled out of the wall (used an old-work receptacle box for a better attachment to the wall). Everything else has been minor parts or normal maintenance (stove top igniter, battery water, water filter, adjusted water heater igniter electrodes, cracked roof vent lid, etc.).

I've read horror stories on this forum with long lists of poor quality or broken stuff, and poor service, and I sympathize with all those people. I guess we were lucky and I am thankful for it.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMezzoprete View Post
Has anyone else been experiencing poor quality construction of the Sunseeker 3170ds? When i say poor quality i mean small things, such as the cabinet doors falling off, interior lights not working, etc. i just bought a new 2014 3170ds and pretty much have had it with Forest River. I havent used the motorhome once and ive already had 2 cabinet doors pull out of the wood when trying to open them and the long cupholder behind the couch has fallen out of the wall. And inside one of the exterior storage compartments, the inside edge of the frame has started to pull apart from the wood. Also, i opened the awning for the first time and there are two small tears in it. A brand new machine shouldnt be having these problems. And i cant seem to find a way to contact Forest River about it either.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Some of this sounds like lot damage - damage that occurred after the coach left the factory.
On a dealers lot these units are viewed by dozens of people over a weekend. I witnessed some kids pulling on the false screen of a fireplace on a upper model class A. The fascia finally gave way. All this while the parents were walking around peering in the closet and bathroom.

My awning and one slide topper had a tear in it. The dealer did have some trees with low hanging branches on his lot so it likely happened when the coach was moved around on the lot. Fixed under warranty.
There is no perfectly built RV but Forest River makes a good unit. I have doubts that that any FR employees deliberately secures a cabinet to fall off within a month. They might occasionally grab the wrong size screw for the job or even drop a few that get found by the owner a year later but that's the nature of any assembly.
Keep in mind that some of the items are not FR built such as light fixtures and generators. These appliances may have their own inherent problems that are no fault of FR - they just install them.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Thank you bgilly...I was just about to post that.

I was at a show and watched a guy try to open a shower door. Opened the plastic latch and tugged on it (it's magnetic and did not open so he thought maybe he latched it) flipped the plastic latch again, this time tugged harder. Plastic latch snapped off, went flying right past where I was sitting. He turned and walked out...not a word.

DMezzoprete. I'm not saying that is the case...but just like a car all those people test driving and walking through can very easily cause issues. The cupholder behind the sofa doesn't surprise me, I've seen people put their hand there to try and get up from the couch.

In any event....whether it's Forest River missed issue or lot damage. Just contact your dealer, alert him to the issues and make an appointment to have them repaired. None of those items sound like they should prevent you from using the unit.

As for warranty...if you buy a car and need some warranty work, who would you call? Dealer is the first stop. You also get coach net free for the first year....so if you are out an about away from your dealer, call coach net and they can direct you to the closest service center.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #11

The quality is not 'poor' by the standards set by the manufacturer, it is standard. Standard, by the mindset of manufactured obsolescence. The after market industry is huge because of the (cheap) low cost parts put into the units, industry wide. Just like a good wife can be high maintenance, your camping unit to keep her from falling into manufactured obsolescence must have a lot of maintenance and TLC. If you do not have the mindset that you will forever make repairs to your unit, you will be sadly surprised. If you do not have the skills or money to do or pay for repairs, then your love affair with your unit will be short lived. Some times it is best to set her free than live with the heart attack that will come.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #12

Brother Les

I agree with your post but it does put an exclamation on the basic point i was trying to make.....

Standards should be set by the marketplace with manufacturers struggling to meet those standards not by the manufacturers.

Don't get me wrong...I think Forest river makes a good product but it is a reflection of the manufacturing driven market. BTW....their service people are EXCELLENT...(can't say enough)

We seem to have sunk to the lowest common denominator on the dealership section of the supply chain with no pressure from consumers who accept this in the marketplace to raise the "standard" of quality and service. In the Automotive market...the consumer sets the standard and the manufacturers fight with each other to meet or exceed.....if they do not deliver...the consumer goes to a dealer/manufacturer who will

I do relaize that there are some RV dealers who deliver outstanding service but it seems to be a common theme that the sales divison is excellent and the service department can be perceived as an after-thought.

And before i am lectured ...I LOVE my Sunseeker and am prepared to deal with things as i have observed them.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sign up for the goshen rally and the techs whom built the unit will gladly fix everything you need right there on the spot.

Last date to register is the 15th of July.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #14

This is why I get fatigued participating on forums like this. People's skin are onion skin thin.....the fact we are not face to face causes us to say uncivil things to people we do not even know.......Who cares if someone does not see the value of the Goshen Rally...so what if someone does. We were having a discussion on the industry standards and some people's frustrations with navigating through this and now we get into a urinating match about whose RV is Bigger......really?????
Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
We do have a long time member here who works at Sunseeker. I am sure he will read this and try to find out what is going on with your warranty claims.
<SNIP>

They are here because they want to be and help (or not) because they want to. While the squeaky wheel may get the grease at the dealership; here it seems to get the reverse effect. "More flies with honey" so to speak.

Having an "ear" at the company is helpful and those who chose to "out" themselves are potentially setting themselves up for abuse; so if you do get a PM or a reply from a rep, remember he or she is not your personal whipping boy. They really are trying to help you.

Herk
X2 what Herk says - I wish every FR Brand had a senior management rep on this board!

(Translation) - Rally - meeting up with the folks you chat with daily on this Forum, play some cornhole, drink some adult beverages, and meet the folks you have come to know on the "net" face to face.

Have meetings, good times, learn a few tricks and tips, see the Amish countryside and maybe get a few good deals at the Flea market or vendor Rally specials

That FR is willing to throw in free maintenance & repair is a bonus and good on them.

Sure I'll spend a week outta my camping year doing this - YMMV.

I think I have come to 2 conclusions:
  1. I have noticed that a lot of the complaints about quality seem to be coming from the , ahem, value-priced brands and model ranges. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just realize that a 30' value priced camper is NOT going to have the same quality or luxerious components as a top-of-the line brand. It is silly to expect so; you DO get what you pay for. This is best illustrated in the FR MH line: Compare a Berkshire to, say, a Georgetown.
  2. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE DEALER! REALLY! If your dealer sold you a POS camper brand new off the lot with a zillion defects , they were NOT doing their job (nor were you- remember that little thing called a PDI?) The dealer SHOULD have inspected your rig and caught all those defects and fixed them before you ever set foot in the unit to look around and say "I want!"
OK, Friday afternoon and it was a contentious day at work so I will get off my soapbox now.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2 what Herk says - I wish every FR Brand had a senior management rep on this board!

(Translation) - Rally - meeting up with the folks you chat with daily on this Forum, play some cornhole, drink some adult beverages, and meet the folks you have come to know on the "net" face to face.

Have meetings, good times, learn a few tricks and tips, see the Amish countryside and maybe get a few good deals at the Flea market or vendor Rally specials

That FR is willing to throw in free maintenance & repair is a bonus and good on them.

1. I have noticed that a lot of the complaints about quality seem to be coming from the , ahem, value-priced brands and model ranges. Nothing wrong with that mind you, just realize that a 30' value priced camper is NOT going to have the same quality or luxerious components as a top-of-the line brand. It is silly to expect so; you DO get what you pay for. This is best illustrated in the FR MH line: Compare a Berkshire to, say, a Georgetown.
  2. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE DEALER! REALLY! If your dealer sold you a POS camper brand new off the lot with a zillion defects , they were NOT doing their job (nor were you- remember that little thing called a PDI?) The dealer SHOULD have inspected your rig and caught all those defects and fixed them before you ever set foot in the unit to look around and say "I want!"
OK, Friday afternoon and it was a contentious day at work so I will get off my soapbox now.
Bv carmel time?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Sign up for the goshen rally and the techs whom built the unit will gladly fix everything you need right there on the spot.

Last date to register is the 15th of July.
is there still room ?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
is there still room ?
absolutely!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
NELA

C'mon, do we *really* want to get into a tit-for-tat based on the price of FR products? this forum is open to folks with anything from the Berkshire down to the rPods.

BamaBob, example:
Your unit has an MSRP of 44.2K
Les's unit has an MSRP of 41.7K

really?

I AGREE and I've said it MANY times here that an owner's satisfaction with their RV is made or broken by the DEALER. They are your FIRST contact when there are problems and if they don't follow thru, of COURSE the owner is then dissatisfied and instead of blaming the dealer many blame FR.

DO your research before buying! Choose your DEALER wisely, and only AFTER you've done your research.

As far Goshen goes? (shrug) it's for some, and for others not so much. If we didn't have a brand new unit fully covered for two years, and had a problem we'd probably be headed that way in a couple of weeks.

We're not in that position. I do believe it's an AWESOME public relations venue for Forest River. I've even referred to it as Mecca for Forest River owners. And those of us who choose not to go (or don't need to go) should not be discrediting the Rally OR those who choose to go.

Let's just please not sink to "class/price discrimination". Not every one can afford a 5er, and certainly not a MH, but that doesn't mean they have no right to expect quality workmanship. Then there are those who could probably afford a MH but *prefer* something smaller.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #20
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

the post after "1." is SO wrong. Do we REALLY want those of us who own nicer RVs putting down those who maybe can't afford one of the same price or class?

Do we really want to engage in calling someone else's RV a "POS"?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
3170, quality