Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Post dumping

We are wondering why do you smell the dump while driving after you have dumped. We have a 2250le and I use the proper chemicals but we end up smelling it all the way home. Ideas? Thank you!
Absnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #2

could be the chemical you are using or it's not getting everything out that needs to come out / cleaned.
what chemical are you using?

Do you re-add checmicals after you dump or leave it empty when you drive home?

Might be worth adding some sort of a tank cleaner and or try a diffrent chemical

You will get many diffrent opinions on the chemicals

I like the TST Orange - its cheap and it works
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #3

Yeah I am leaving it empty. Using a powder pack. Was warned about build up.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absnova View Post
Yeah I am leaving it empty. Using a powder pack. Was warned about build up.
this is what I would do if it was me but you will get many opinions on what to do.

I would be using a liqued instead of a powder for starters.
Odorlos or TST Orange Liqued form

I would look into installing some sort of a Tank washer like a Tornado to assist in cleaning the tank - the way I do it is when the Tornado is hooked up to the water and running I close the valve and let the tank fill with some water then re-open the tank - I also have a clear elbow or straight tube on the end of the hose so I can see exactly what is coming out of the tank - clean or dirty and keep opening and closing the valve until I do not see any more traces of toilet paper or poo.

If you have a way to clean it at home and use your house's main clean up hole you might be able to clean it good at home before your next trip.

you can also do the bag of ice trick - put a little water in the black tank and then dump a bag or two of ice and then drive it around for a bit to try and break up what ever is built up in the tank and then dump it out
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #5

We use the Geo method and have the clear elbow and tank flusher (factory installed). Several on the forums use this method and no chemicals. Search the forums for more discussions.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I try never to keep my holding tanks "empty" I always leave 2 - 3 gallons of water (not sewage) in the tanks after dumping. With the turbo-flush this is relatively easy as after the tank has run clear for a minute or so (tanks anywhere from 15-20 minutes of flushing), I close the shutoff valve for 10 - 15 seconds about 10 potatoes); then turn off the turbo-Flush.

I always then go into the camper and put 1 CAPFUL of Liquid Calgon and 1 laundry load of liquid laundry detergent into the black and gray tanks. I also run about 10 seconds of water to flush the Calgon and Detergent out of the traps.

The detergent helps break up any kitchen grease that makes its way into the gray tank. After 3 years of camping using this method, hookups and "dry", and have only noticed smell from the roof vent once. (I waited too long to dump when we had guests and the black tank filled quicker than I thought).

At "End-of-Season" I use 4 OZ of RV-Digest-It and full tanks of clean water for a minimum of 72 hours and then dump/flush. The unit is then put away with a few gallons of water and the Calgon/detergent treatment.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

After dumping I always add 2 to 3 gallons of water along with the proper chemicals back into the black tank. You should also keep a some water in the toilet bowl to keep the seal wet. If you are doing these two things you shouldn't be smelling any odors at all.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #8

Also, was the motorhome new or used? When we bought our first used one the previous owners did not do a very good Job of keeping tanks clean! We had a horrible odor that would get into the camper when we drove it. It took us a good week of using chemicals, fill tank all the way to the bottom of the toilet, let it sit all night, drain, rinse, and repeat! We finally got the tank clean and the odor was gone. We have been using Calgon and laundry detergent ever since with no problems. I do what Herk does in between trips. As far as winter goes I put antifreeze down there but never water in our climate, Ice can do funny things and I don't want my tank to split.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #9

Like many replies, leave some clean water in tank and add chemicals. I would also look into installing a roof top cyclone. Its only $ 20 @ walmart and seems to work for me.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #10

Thank you everyone for the help. Being new rv users with our 2012 rv we want to keep is clean for many years. Sincerest thank yous.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #11

The 360 Products RV Vent is the tops for venting. Never a smell from the inside of RV and great at venting even if NO wind. Really a cool design, easy install. Check it out here
https://360productsnorthamerica.com
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad