Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Mega Member

Power Stabilizer with Generator

When running on generator I get an occasional surge and slight modulation in the meter that measures the voltage output. I've had it to the shop, but the tech says to expect this and that it is fine. I am always concerned that even if these are slight, that it can damage my AC and other components. I was curious if anyone had ever used something like the Hughes RV Autoformer RV2130 - 30 Amp--which helps to 'stabilize' incoming current---in line between the RV generator and the RV electrical input. I could easily plug the Autoformer into the plug that provides the power when on the generator and plug the coach into Autoformer.
Any thoughts? Thanks.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 AM   #2

I installed my surge protector/power monitor (hard-wired) after the transfer switch, so that it protects both shore power and generator power sources. Also the meter provides feedback on what the generator is doing as far as volts, cycles, amps being used, etc.

That leaves the transfer switch "unprotected" from surges, etc., but I am willing to risk that in return for protecting the electrical system from problems with the generator as well as shore power.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #3

What is the range of voltage during operation? What does it surge up to, and for how long? Does it ever produce low voltage? If so, how low and for how long? What is the normal, constant voltage?

Bruce

Tags
generator, power