Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
Same here Joe. MSRP was 36 and change and it was listed at 25. Was built only 3 weeks before we bought it. The bonus was we purchased at a small local dealer only 35 miles away. Granted there is a lot of competition along the IN/OH border from Cincinnati up to Richmond. The bummer is that Indiana personal property tax is based off of the MSRP, not the sales price.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
Forest river will only provide you with the names of those who are authorized to work on your Rv, its up to you to find one that will service it. Since FR only responsibility is to provide service at its facility or pay for authorized work off site, they will not find a place for you. Make sure that the savings you are getting make up for local service, I assure you that if you buy from a national dealer and want local service you will be at the back of the line, if at all. Rv dealers are not required to service the brands that they carry, service is provided as a perk for their customers.
Purchasing from a dealer has value, and I believe they are entitled to a profit but I just don't want to overpay for a unit. No different when purchasing a car. I found all of the post helpful and now I can go and work with the local dealer to get a fair price for both of us.

rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou
I look at it a little different.
My objective in a negotiation is to cut out the other guy's heart and eat it.

He will not be selling that unit at a loss. If I am too low he will send me packing with no call back. THAT has never happened yet. They want to move that unit and will eventually meet your price if it is at ALL reasonable (30% off retail on an RV is certainly reasonable and you can get even better at certain times of the year - like the last month of a quarter and especially the last week of the last month of a quarter). MANY good books on how to play the "car/truck/RV negotiation game."

JUST BE CAREFUL. After he agrees to your "price", then they start trying to add profit on the back end of the sale by giving you a high interest loan, fancy stuff "YOU MUST HAVE" (like paint "hardeners," "better tires," Extended warranties, over priced "add ons", etc).

There are some great threads here too.

How can one dealer sell for so much cheaper?

How can MSRP prices vary so wildly

Also read Confessions of a Car Salesman

WELL worth your time

Also Confessions From the Dealership Service Department --

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Interesting reading. It is always mind boggling to think of how much is tied up in inventory costs at a large dealership that they have to acct for. Interest rates and carrying charges are not nearly as high as they used to be but still would be significant. I bought an RV in 2008 from a smaller family owned dealer ship who had an inventory of 50 to 60 units. While I was negotiating the deal he told me he had no floorplan. He said he owns everything outright and as soon as the unit leaves the factory he pays the full amount which I guess is not very common in the RV industry.

ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote