Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Problems With New Sunseekers?

We purchased our first Moho this past December, a Sunseeker 3170df. Being that we are from Pennsylvania, we weren't able to use the rv through the winter. We were able to get in and out and find problems slowly as the weather got better. So far these are our issues, and we still haven't taken it anywhere yet!!!
1-Tub surround cracked (BIG crack)
2-Water filter housing broke off its threads.
3-Marker light covers fell off (one before we picked it up, the other must have been on the ride home).
4-Water feed line to the toilet sprays water as soon as you hook it to a water source. (This was especially frustrating as we were trying to get ready to go camping soon and now we can't put water to the system)

We have had 3 different 5th wheel campers over the last decade and never had close to this many problems. Our dealer is 2 and 1/2 hours away so it makes in very inconvenient to get repairs done! I guess that is something I didn't worry enough about since we had very few issues with the last 3 campers....

Has anyone else had this many problems with a brand new Sunseeker or Forest River motor home? Did I make a mistake on purchasing a FR product?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #2

Except for the marker light issue they sound like freezing or cold weather issues. Was it winterized correctly? Tube surround also may have broken due to severe cold this winter but it shouldn't have.

A motorhome is like a house on wheels so just like buying a new house you will likely find a number of issues.
I had a number of issues that I just fixed myself. Didn't need any expensive parts like you will so it wasn't worth the gas and time to get it back to the dealer. Things like mis-run water piping, improper anti-sail adjustment of the slide toppers, oil leaks on the Big Foot jacks, air conditioner duct blockage by trash, missing fuse in the engine to coach battery charge control circuit, severely mis-aligned hood, leaks in outside lights that caused bulb failures until I figured out it was a leakage problem, and various cosmetic or sloppy installation items. This forum is a great source of information to identify issues you may not yet know you have and find out how to fix them.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

The dealer winterized the unit in the fall, and I am guessing they didn't do a thorough job. It worries me what might pop next when we are out on the road with no way to fix the problem.

I can probably fix the toilet water feed, it looks like pex tubing and the local hardware has those parts.

The dealer fixed the tub surround, but it's not nearly as nice as the factory job.

Thanks for your feedback ATVer!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #4

We also had our water filter plastic cover crack off this winter. We also had a marker light fall off. We have had our 2450S for one year and have had almost 30 items too be fixed under warranty. After one full year all is finally good. We bought ours in Pennsylvania and had in delivered to KY.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

No offense, but I hope I don't have 26 more problems to get through. We have about 5k miles of trips schedule this year and I don't want to be fixing stuff every time I want to go somewhere.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

How disappointing to encounter these types of issues before you even use it. Yes we have a 2014 3170D and we had several AV issues (replaced switch box, sub-woofer as well as in-dash DVD/radio/GPS system. We also had some power issues with the conversion to the 12V system.....However, infrastructure has been very solid.

I would be furious with the dealer and have them supply a brand new unit due to their incompetance with winterizing. So obviously when you bought it you could not do a run through of the plumbing system...Could you not have seen the crack on the tub?

Very frustrating but I am sure once you get the plumbing sorted out your difficulties will be behind you.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #7

Sunseeker Problems

Wow, I can't believe the issues you are having. We took delivery of a 2014 2860DS in February and I live in Ohio where we had the worst winter in 26 years. Unit was winterized when we received it. In fact the dealer took 2 hours to show us how everything worked when we picked it up. Unit was washed and inside the garage when we arrived. Has been sitting in our driveway ever since. I have had no issues except I have 1 rear running light that the bulb keeps burning out. Have not had it to the dealer yet. Already took it to Florida and have about 3500 miles on it. Sounds like you have a bad dealer. I will say the 2 hours was informative but there was also a lot of things left out, especially about the AV system and GPS.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

I have a 2012 Sunseeker 2300 And I just discovered that my water filter housing was cracked at the threads. I know it was properly winterized. I blew out the pipes and put ran plenty of antifreeze into the lines. I think it just cracked due to the very cold weather we had in Ohio the year. I just bought a new filter housing and will de-winterize it tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

The dealer did a pretty thorough walk through with us and we aren't new to RVing, just the motor home part. The crack in the tub surround either wasn't their when we walked through it or was much smaller, but it originated in the area where the screw holds the shower head holder.
The dealer sent parts for the water filter cup and the toilet valve (which most definitely was frozen) and I was able to replace both of them myself. I am just not happy with what appears to be a shoddy winterizing by the dealer. It makes me cringe to think what might happen after a few thousand miles driving now.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Unfortunately good dealers are hard to find for anything. Sounds like you should learn how to winterize. It's not that hard and doing it once will pay for any equipment you may need and you will know it's done right.

Tags
sunseeker