Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Propane Tank Upgrade

Has anyone tried upgrading or changing the propane tank on a Sunseeker to one that is larger than 8 gals?
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

If you don't mind my asking, Why? We find that a full tank lasts us half the summer or more. We camp often and run the refrigerator on propane when traveling, cook on the stove and use the oven, and hook up the grill to the propane also. Granted, running the furnace is the largest use of propane, and we don't do that very often. Also use electric to heat water most of the time.

There are extend-a-stay adapters available from Camping World to allow use of portable tanks. They are designed to use with removable tanks like trailers have, but with a little plumbing work on the gas line, they can be used with a fixed tank like Sunseeker. Other threads on the forum have discussed them with pictures.

Don't confuse 8 gallons with the 20 pounds of a standard portable tank. You have lots of propane for everyday use.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
... Why? We find that a full tank lasts us half the summer or more. ... Granted, running the furnace is the largest use of propane, and we don't do that very often. Also use electric to heat water most of the time.

...Don't confuse 8 gallons with the 20 pounds of a standard portable tank. You have lots of propane for everyday use.
I'm sure someone will let me know if my logic is flawed with my response.

As you mention, and I agree, 8 gals of Propane is enough for approx half of the summer. I am looking at trips taken from late fall through mid-spring.

When temps drop below approx 28 degrees F water tanks etc freeze. Since the tanks and plumbing are in heated compartments the furnace is required to keep these tanks warm and prevent (I hope) freezing. Instead of having to get the propane tank filled at a camp ground etc... during mid-trip I would prefer to take enough propane for a week long journey. I have a 500 gallon tank that runs my house and my propane cost is lower when filled by my propane service vs a campground refill.

Also, an 8 gallon propane tank on the SunSeeker equates to approx 35 pounds of propane. Upgrading to a 20 gallon tank will add approx 51 pounds to the overall weight (not counting the weight difference of the larger tank) of the coach. I can handle the weight difference.

Before someone mentions the Artic Pac, the documentation I have seen says there must be fluid in the tanks to use the artic pack so if you are connected to sewer and keep the grey tank open the Artic Pac should not be used. Now, is that right or wrong I do not know.

Bottom line - Why? For convenience, safety and a cost savings over time (although it may be small).

I guess my question back is why would I want to carry a portable propane tank if I can replace the existing 8 gallon tank with a 16 or 20 gallon tank. Replacing the existing tank would provide more propane without the storage concern of a portable tank. As a note, my grill at home is connected into the 500 gallon tank so I'd have to purchase the portable tank along with the extender.

Dave
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

We dry camp most of the time, the 8 gal. propane tank runs low quickly. I shut the hot water tank off for the night, but still we use over half of the tank in a week, especially if I warm up the camper to get the chill/moisture out at night. I usually top off the tank after every week long camping trip. For longer trips, I did the plumbing and bring an auxiliary 20 lb. tank.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

sorry for getting off topic but while everyone is mentioning "plumbing changes" to the propane lines......I have a 2009 sunseeker add I think it would be fairly easy to add a propane line to hook up a gas grille. The line is flexible coming off the tank before connecting to black iron pipe. It looks as though a tee at that connection would work to get a line out. The pipes, hoses and fittings I can figure out, but do I need a regulator? Anyone have experience with this? or should I not bother?
bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #6

8 gals is too small, IMO. On the one model I checked, there was only room for slightly longer one, but even say 12 gals would be an improvement. Yeah, if you don't use the furnace, it lasts a long time. But if need the furnace....
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #7

In regards to the water heater tank. When I winterize it should I leave the anode in or out?
zaine2451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaine2451 View Post
In regards to the water heater tank. When I winterize it should I leave the anode in or out?
Once the tank is empty you can thread the anode back in. Leaving an opening to the tank's interior is an invitation for bugs to set up housekeeping.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Old Enough to Know Better

You can get as large a tank as you can fit into your current space. Manchester makes tons of them for the RV industy. Unfortunitly they are not inexpensive.
Once you know your max size contact your LP dealer and see if he will order it for you.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

I am beginning to think that the actual 80% capacity is 9.8 gals, not 8. But I don't have the RV to measure it.

Probably this one:
http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/dis...roduct_id=3758

They have others which might fit.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #11

Need to be careful, if attached to vehicle. It will
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Commercial Member

That should be correct. We use a 12.25 Water Capacity tank. Some mfgs list this in their specs, expecting you to do the math.

Our 9.8 is LP Capacity not tank size

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #13

We have camped many times in cold weather. The coach tank will last only 3 or 4 days and nights if the weather is below freezing.

We use an Extend-a-Stay kit with a grill gas tank. It takes 5 or 10 minutes to connect or disconnect. A downside is that it takes four different size wrenches to do it. One plus for the kit is that if you can't find a place to refill the coach or grill gas tank, grill gas tank exchanges are everywhere now. Also, if you plan to stay in a place for several days, you don't have to drive the motorhome to the refill location.

I turn the coach tank off when I am using the grill gas tank so I will always have gas for the refrigerator when we are going down the road, and for the furnace if we stop for a while. Naturally, the grill tank always runs out gas at 3 AM! (By the way, if you run out of gas you'll have to rest thermostat before the furnace will restart. If it fails to ignite it will lock out after three tries. Ours reset by turning it off, then back on. Yours may be different.)

Of course, swapping grill gas tanks costs more than having the tanks refilled, but the few dollars are insignificant compared to the hassle of running out of LP.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That should be correct. We use a 12.25 Water Capacity tank. Some mfgs list this in their specs, expecting you to do the math.

Our 9.8 is LP Capacity not tank size
Mr. Clemens,

Please lobby Forest River to make a larger LP tank available as an option on class C's. It costs around $100 for the Extend-a-Stay kit and a grill tank, so that gives a starting point for the value. We all know that it creates some work to engineer this option, stock two sizes and issue build orders, but you do that now with air conditioners/heat pumps, the dual battery option, cabinet doors, etc. It would be a benefit for those of us who use our motorhomes all seasons. We've used our furnace in the winter in the south and in the Rockies in June.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #15

I would agree that they need to consider dry camping and at least have the option for a bigger tank. Ours runs out fairly quickly even in the summer. We are gone every weekend and never have hook ups. Between the fridge, water heater, and stove I get about 6 days before we refill.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
Commercial Member

We have talked about it. We really want it on Solera (with LP gen) but weight is an issue right now. We're trying to cut some weight, but not quite there yet.

I'm pretty sure a bigger tank fits (on most models) if you want to retro one, but again we try and find one size that fits all. We would more than likely want it to be standard as opposed to an option so we can stock one size.

Just a word of caution. We had a rental dealer request a tank that was DOUBLE size compared to our existing. As always, the unknown domino effect takes place and come to find out there are Ferry restrictions on tank size (big mess). So we ended up splitting the difference. Unfortunately that was a non-standard size and causes supply issues.

I will bring it up again and see if we can go up one size.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
I am beginning to think that the actual 80% capacity is 9.8 gals, not 8. But I don't have the RV to measure it.

Probably this one:
RV Surplus

They have others which might fit.
During my last LPG fill the tank was almost empty and it took 7.8 gals to take it to 80 percent so I believe the 8 gals max is accurate.

Thanks for the link and I'll check it out.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Average Joe

I filled mine from 1/3 and it took 6.5 gallons. Gauges are just estimates.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #19

I don't think manufacturers give a lot of weight to dry camping. Probably understandable if you go by the typical user. But there is a market advantage waiting to be claimed.

The water and waste tank sizes are quite good on Sunseekers, kudos for that! So yeah, a bigger LP tank would be nice.

Then on to the 12v system!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #20

As a retired Fire Chief, don't mess with the propane. Its one of the most dangerous fuels out there. I am glad to have a small tank on the RV. If I could eliminate it, I would.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank, upgrade