Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Mega Member

Pumpkin Leak

I have a 2004 Sunseeker 3100 that I bought used a few months ago. When I first got it, I noticed there was a lot of oil/film on the differential/pumpkin underneath. I did not notice much if any dripping though. I called the ford dealer and they said it likely was not a problem, but to clean it off and keep an eye on it. We just got back from a 2 week 2,000 mile trip and today I noticed a small drip on the ground and an some oily fluid on the pumpkin---mostly at the bottom around one bolt. It did try to tighten that bolt---but it really did not budge. So...the $64.00 question: is this small leak a concern? Do I need to have some major repair?

Thanks!
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

Follow the oil trail up I doubt that the bolt at the bottom is what's leaking, it more likely the input seal. If it is the seal just keep an eye on it, if it only leaks a drop here or there then let if go. Once it gets to the point where you start seeing oil on the underside of the MH too then it's time to have the seal replaced.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Commercial Member

You mean the $640 dollar question?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarner View Post
I have a 2004 Sunseeker 3100 that I bought used a few months ago. When I first got it, I noticed there was a lot of oil/film on the differential/pumpkin underneath. I did not notice much if any dripping though. I called the ford dealer and they said it likely was not a problem, but to clean it off and keep an eye on it. We just got back from a 2 week 2,000 mile trip and today I noticed a small drip on the ground and an some oily fluid on the pumpkin---mostly at the bottom around one bolt. It did try to tighten that bolt---but it really did not budge. So...the $64.00 question: is this small leak a concern? Do I need to have some major repair?

Thanks!
If it is the cover - could be whom ever did maintenance to it didn't seal it right either.

If it was me I wouldn't let it go and take care of it before it causes a major issue later on but that is just me.

Like stated before - check to see if it is coming from the front side where the drive shaft connects or of it is just the cover leaking.

If its the cover leaking - that's an easy fix - get the specs on the gear oil weight (synthetic) and a tube of RTV sealant ( I usually use the gold) - never had a problem on my dodge

Drain the rear diff into a pan, remove cover and clean of the sealing area and make sure it is dry and clean of grease and oil
Seal the cover all the way around including around the bolt holes and carefully put the cover back in place - then put the bolts back in it and finger tighten - then say 10 minutes or so tighten the bolts to their Torqued spec and fill to its proper level ( my dodge has a rubber cover you pull off the cover and fill to the edge - not sure on the Chevy though)

If its where the drive shaft connects - I think it's called the yolk seal - not as easy as the diff cover because it has to come apart to replace that seal

Hope that helps some
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote