Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Putting in larger black tank?

Have a 2011 Sunseeker 3120. I like this rig except for the small tanks, especially the 31 gallon black tank. I can't go more than than a couple of days when dry camping before it's full. Same for the grey tank. I've got this idea about somehow putting in a larger tank(s). Has anyone attempted this or seen any article on this. My wife wants to sell it because of this. Thanks, Randy
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Don't know about adding larger tank, would have to pull underbelly to see if there is room. However, I'm more surprised that youvfill a 31 gal black tank in a couple days. We frequently camp with no hookups. There are two of us and we can easily go 4 to 5 days and not fill up. Our camper has a 38 gal tank, so not much larger. If you are going by the monitor panel they can be notoriously incorrect, especially the black tank that can get gunk on the sensors. Can always shine a flashlight down and do a visual level inspection until you get a better feel for the real level. Just food for thought.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Always Learning

My wife, I and daughter were "filling" our black tank every other day to every 3rd day based on the monitor panel. When dumping the tanks a lot of stuff came out. The last couple of trips that we've had- I've waited longer until the toilet actually started burping at me when we would flush and we've been able to stretch that another day or two. But, we have a 42 gallon black tank.

Tom's right - you need to look inside the underbelly of the camper to see if there is room. Your alternative is to get a macerator pump and big Blue Boy tote and pump the black water into the tote (which, with a macerator pump, can live in the back of your truck so you don't have to roll the thing or deal with the weight).
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #4

2013 models have larger tanks at 39 gallons so there is room for them. However it's not that much bigger and I don't know if there is enough space to slide them in after the unit is built.

I have a 2012 3120 with the smaller tanks and always thought if I found them to be too small I could add additional tanks in the rear storage compartment that goes all the way across. Gray tank would be a simple plumbing job but the black tank should use a grinder pump to transfer to the extra tank.

If you need more fresh water that could be accomplished by adding another tank on top of the current tank under the rear bed.

The other thing I don't understand is how you can fill both tanks when dry camping since the total available waste tank capacity is 60+ gallons and the fresh water tank capacity is only 44 gallons. Are you sure the tank monitors are working correctly?

Also if you want much larger tanks you will likely have to go up to a large Class A as the Sunseeker tanks are typical of Class Cs and smaller As.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Site Team

how are you filling up a 30 gallon black tank in a couple of days?

we almost only dry camp and our black tank is only 25 gallons. we can go for 3 straight weeks before we have to dump our black tank.
but our black tank is only for the toilet, not for shower or sink.

does your black tank have shower or sink water drain into it? that's the only way i can see your black tank filling that fast.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #6

I had the same issue years ago with the wife and kids. To solve the issue I educationed them on flushing with little water, quick showers only using water to wet yourself and to wash the soap off, and washing dishes with very little water. It is a learning transistion. You can also let them dump the tanks, that will reinforce conserving water.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #7

My unit has I think the 38 gal black tank, I do not use the sensors being they are normally wrong. We have gone for 5 days without dumping. I keep trying to extend the time each trip. So I guess I do it by day's not buy the sensor. I still had to add water to fill the tank. I took a flash light and looked down the sewer pipe, still did not see any water in it then after 5 days. That's a lot of sewage it takes to fill it up. We always just use a 1/4 bowel to flush. after we flush we add a 1/4 bowl again of water.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

31 Gallons, I would say something other than the toilet is emptying into your black tank. Either that, or you guys are doing some super long flushes.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
how are you filling up a 30 gallon black tank in a couple of days?

we almost only dry camp and our black tank is only 25 gallons. we can go for 3 straight weeks before we have to dump our black tank.
but our black tank is only for the toilet, not for shower or sink.

does your black tank have shower or sink water drain into it? that's the only way i can see your black tank filling that fast.
We're the same as Dan......something seems odd that you would be filling a black tank that quickly.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #10

I would have to agree with the crowd that says something else is going on with the black tank. Ours is a 30 gallon tank on our 06. When we go to nationals it's me, the wife, and 2 kids, we go 5 to 6 days before we have to dump.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
Have a 2011 Sunseeker 3120. I like this rig except for the small tanks, especially the 31 gallon black tank. I can't go more than than a couple of days when dry camping before it's full. Same for the grey tank. I've got this idea about somehow putting in a larger tank(s). Has anyone attempted this or seen any article on this. My wife wants to sell it because of this. Thanks, Randy
You seem to be filling that puppy up pretty fast - when is the last time you really seriously COMPLETELY flushed your tank? Methinks you may have some goo collecting on the bottom of the tank. Fill the tank up to 1/2 with just water & drop in 2 or 3 of the tank cleaning packs. close everything up and go for a 20-30 min drive making several turns (the idea here is to slosh things around and mix the chemicals up GOOD.

Wait a day or two or three. Go to a dump station and fill your black tank, then drain. Bet a LOT of GUNK comes out!

Get a tank rinsing attachment for your sewer (unless your unit has one built in). Rinse your take - bet MORE gunk comes out

Lesson Learned: ALWAYS use those tank cleaning packets - at least every other time you dry camp.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #12

How much beer are you drinking????
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #13

Hmm, lots of comments. I'm beginning to think the tank may be gunked up or something. It's a 2011, but I bought it used a few months ago. I'll try your suggestions on cleaning the tank. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #14

If chemicals don't work to clean out your tank, use ice. Throw 2 bags of ice down the toilet and go for a good drive. The movement and melting of the ice will scrape the tanks clean.
chrissocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Hmm, lots of comments. I'm beginning to think the tank may be gunked up or something. It's a 2011, but I bought it used a few months ago. I'll try your suggestions on cleaning the tank. Thanks for your input.
Since you bought it used who knows whats in there. You could use an inspection scope to check out the tank if you have access to one. In leau of that you could use a bright flashlight and mirror on a stick to look around through the toilet. If there is a lot of crud in the tank you should be able to see it easily.
It has got to be rare but I once saw a tank at an RV shop that had collapsed. It looked like it was sucked in and they had no idea what caused it.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #16

Ok, try this to check the "goo" in or not in your tank. While home, turn your garden hose on to full a one gallon jug up timing the fill. That will give you the rate of flow, or in other words gallons per minute. If you calabrate a five gal pail even better. Then with your black tank empty, fill it through the toilet until its full. Do the math. Check it against your black tank spec, and you will have a good approximation how full of "goo" you are!
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissocha View Post
If chemicals don't work to clean out your tank, use ice. Throw 2 bags of ice down the toilet and go for a good drive. The movement and melting of the ice will scrape the tanks clean.

Chris,

This is a BRILLIANT idea!

One thought for Randy though - what is the ambient temp in your area? If you are in the South this will work well if it is 10 below where you are, well, not so much
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #18

we are a family of 4 and can easily go 4-5 days on the black water. I agree with ATVer, how are you dry camping and turning 44 gallons of fresh water into almost double the waste?
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
since you bought it used, there's no way of telling if there's stuff in there that wasn't flushed out UNLESS you do a visual check.
a lot of us simply open the toilet gate and shine a flashlight down into the black tank.
we do this because the idiot tank level lights never are accurate, which is probably why you think the tank is full.

if you've never actually looked down into the tank, DON'T rely on the idiot tank level lights, they are worthless after you use the tanks for awhile when the RV is new. especially if the former owner never flushed the tank often, never kept water in the tank or simply left stuff in it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #20

True, I am relying on the idiot lights, it shows 2/3 full when it's empty. I'm assuming its full when the light shows full.