Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #1

Question about Convertor Heat Pump Operation on 3010DSF

Last night it was like 28 degrees where I was camping and I hadn't turned on the propane and decided to just use the heat pump. It worked great keeping us warm. However, when it shut off, then turned back on, which was once every 20 minutes or so, the converter under our bed would click. So it would click maybe 3 or 4 times then start the heat pump. .it was not consistent. Is this something to be worried about? I have a surge suppressor hooked up the the shore power and it was reading ok.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
GM

Just remember that if you're not using the furnace you are not heating the utility bay. Heat pads will help...but only on the back and gray, not the water filter.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #3

Yes I still had the Coach winterized. Any advice?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
GM

Not really. I think BigJohn mentioned something about this as well.

FYI, I don't think the converter is under the bed on the 3010. It is located outside in the utility station, its just the breaker box under the bed...or maybe the clicking can be heard from outside as well. Just trying to confirm the source of the clicking.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not really. I think BigJohn mentioned something about this as well.

FYI, I don't think the converter is under the bed on the 3010. It is located outside in the utility station, its just the breaker box under the bed...or maybe the clicking can be heard from outside as well. Just trying to confirm the source of the clicking.
When my heat pump starts the first time, it starts just like the air conditioning. Every time after that it attempts to start three or four times before it runs. I believe the clicking is coming from the thermostat, followed by the fan trying to start. If I increase the temperature setting on the thermostat by one or more degrees, it will start normally. Then the next time it starts it will "stutter" again three or four times before starting.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

Same exact problem. I have mine over at the dealer being checked again this week.

Have you had yours to the dealer?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #7

In my opinion, if it's 28 degrees outside your heat pump's efficiency is so low it is better to leave it off and just run an electric space heater. You're only getting about 1 BTU of heat for 1 BTU of electricity, just as you would with an electric heater, so why run your heat pump and wear it out? You can set thermostat to run the fan only to distribute the heat if you need to. The lowest temperature I run the heat pump in our 3100 is 40 degrees. In addition to the low efficiency, it frosts up at low temperatures and has to run in the defrost mode often.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

You are right, someone pointed that out to me today and I wont do it again.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Same exact problem. I have mine over at the dealer being checked again this week.

Have you had yours to the dealer?
My dealer is too far away to take it in for that. I only run the heat pump occasionally when temps in 40 to 50 range.

Sounds like we have a problem FR ought to be looking into. Let me know if you find out anything .
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

I'm not hopeful but I will report back as soon as I hear.