Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

question about water heater

We have a 2011 Sunseeker 3010DS and have a question. What does the water heater switch on the inside convenience panel do? I know our salesman told me, but I can't remember how it is supposed to work and can't seem to find the book.

Thanks! This forum is awesome. :-)

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #2

From my memory, the one on the inside of the camper starts the propane side of it, the one in the side panel starts the electric side, or it's the other way around. When you have both switches on, it recovers faster as you use hot water. I know in our travel-trailer, if we are running both sides of it, my wife can shower, and I go in a few minutes later and still have hot water. Of course we are conserving water too. (Get wet, cut water off, lather up, then rinse as opposed to running water during the entire shower.)
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If there's only one WH switch in the control panel, it'll be for the propane side of the WH. The switch may also be labelled DSI (direct spark ignition) and should have a small, red fault light.

The electric side of the WH is controlled with a small on/off switch (with a hairpin) under the access panel outside. The switch is behind the burner's gas train making it hard to see and access. There's also a dedicated 120V breaker for the WH in the campers power control center.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #4

Switch on control panel is LP gas operation. Switch outside is electric operation. I do not know for the life of me why both switches aren't on the control panel. I'm sure someone will have a reason but it still won't make any sense to me.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Switch on control panel is LP gas operation. Switch outside is electric operation. I do not know for the life of me why both switches aren't on the control panel. I'm sure someone will have a reason but it still won't make any sense to me.
I hear ya...hated this setup on our former TT, now with the 5'ver both switches are inside...nice

Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

Atwood heaters, both switches inside. Suburban heaters, electric built into heater (outside), thus only need for gas switch on panel inside.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #7

Thanks! I think we figured it out. We ran out of propane and I think it tried to relight three times, then shut off. We had to turn it off and back on to make it work on propane again. There is a switch inside the water heater door on the outside as well.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #8

Now remember, as Dave and Monica stated above, that little switch on the outside behind the panel is for the electric side of the water heater. The one on the inside out the camper is for the propane side. As I said above, if you are using both, you recover hot water faster.
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
We have a 2009 2860, and everyone is correct. Inside is propane heating the water, outside is electric. Both being on heats the water faster, but not very noticeable if you're already on electric (in our experience).

The reason the electric is outside AND upside down (clicking down is the on position) is b/c turning on the electric without water in the water heater will burn out the electric heater in about 8 seconds. Ergo, it's made less convenient to provide one last safety measure against burning it up.

The propane being turned on without water in the water heater won't cause such permanent damage. This is all according to the dealership mechanic who gave us our walk-thru.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Graduate Member

For the OP - You know, i don't see any explanations that just flatly said - you can heat your water in the water heater one of two ways. Propane or electric. Your water heater will work on either (or both).

On propane, it may take a few tries to light as the propane lines can get air bubbles during your down time.

Personally, we use the electric in order to save our propane. So we turn on the switch on the outside, and almost never use the switch inside. Totally personal preference.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote