Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #11

It is always a bad thing to get water damage. even a little bit will cause mold in the walls.
Over 75 units were destroyed in Sussex NB a few years back on the lot when the river came up.

I would be very persistent in the fact that you will be sick using it and since they will have to gut the entire unit its not cost effective for them to do so.

the insurance company will not risk medical claims for something they neglected to do and look at the bad reputation they are already getting by their not writing it off - wanting to repair it to save a few dollars.

Find someone neutral - like the manufacturer and get their view. Also find someone with a good (not decent) moisture meter and take readings. We saw several trailers at a local auction that had black mold on teh wall to ceiling lines and moisture count off the scale and they sold to a dealer in Newfoundland for thousands. They were all junk and i got sick just looking inside.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	104565  
Attached Images

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #12

The water did not get into the engine or the inside of the motorhome (that I know of now anyway!). My dealer took pictures of the underside and it looks real bad with the visible rust. Progressive's person who looked at it told the dealer he would total it also and took additional pictures to show the agent. I am told now that they have emailed the pictures with a description to their "RV experts" to see if they have suggestions on how to fix it. I cannot imagine what they would know that my dealer would not know. I think they are stalling as my policy says total value replacement so they would write a check for 78K. Meantime I am sitting around doing nothing as we had a 2 month trip planned. I must have my motorhome by mid June as I am volunteering 3 months at a COE park in northern Arkansas. Time is ticking!

Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknviv View Post
My Sunseeker was in a flood while parked in storage and had 2 1/2 feet of water. There is a water line 2/3 up the first step. Everything in the outside bays had water along with the generator, propane tanks, and the electrical box located on the left by the first step on the inside of the coach. Everything Underneath was damaged along with my automatic levelers. There is a huge amount of rust and my dealer says because of the way the walls come down and attaches to the outside bays they cannot get to every place to remove the rust without removing the upper part of the coach so they want to total it. My insurance company, Progressive, is looking for ways to repair it so they do not have to total it. Also my dealer says there is mold on the walls behind the bays plus the rust as it also sat in the water. Do you think this can be repaired completely?
Where does the storage yard fall into this picture? Did they warn you you were in a flood prone area? Surprised the insurance company isn't going after them.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrle View Post
Where does the storage yard fall into this picture? Did they warn you you were in a flood prone area? Surprised the insurance company isn't going after them.

It probably falls right here or something along these lines.

Tenant assumes RESPONSIBILITY for any loss or damage to property stored by Tenant in the
premises and may or may not elect to provide insurance coverage for the same. OWNER DOES NOT
MAINTAIN INSURANCE FOR THE BENEFIT OF TENANT; WHICH IN ANY WAY COVERS ANY LOSS
WHAT SO EVER THAT TENANT MAY HAVE OR CLAIM BY RENTING THE STORAGE SPACE OR
PREMISES AND EXPRESSLY RELEASES OWNER FROM ANY LOSSES AND/OR DAMAGES OR RIGHT OF SUBROGATION FOR LOSSES TO SAID PROPERTY CAUSED BY FIRE, THEFT, WATER,
RAINSTORMS, TORNADO, EXPLOSION, RIOT, RODENTS, CIVIL DISTURBANCES, INSECTS, SONIC
BOOM, LAND VEHICLES, UNLAWFUL ENTRY OR ANY OTHER CAUSE WHATSOEVER, NOR SHALL
OWNER BE LIABLE TO TENANT AND/OR TENANTS GUEST OR INVITEES FOR ANY PERSONAL
INJURIES SUSTAINED BY TENANT AND/OR TENANTS GUEST OR INVITEES WHILE ON OR ABOUT
OWNER’S PREMISES.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

It came to me that at least here the vehicles title would now need to be branded as a "flood recovery" . Say goodbye to resale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It came to me that at least here the vehicles title would now need to be branded as a "flood recovery" . Say goodbye to resale.
I think that's correct here in PA. If its not totaled they have to note the title as flood damaged and if it is totaled and then auctioned for resale it would then have a salvage title noted as flood damaged.

Evidently LA has no such provision? I'm sure no one would know the rules more than the insurance companies.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I think that's correct here in PA. If its not totaled they have to note the title as flood damaged and if it is totaled and then auctioned for resale it would then have a salvage title noted as flood damaged.

Evidently LA has no such provision? I'm sure no one would know the rules more than the insurance companies.
I do not know if they would care even if they do know. Their goal is to clear the claim. You'd be stuck with the aftermath when the insurance does its report to the state. Then they will send a letter saying your titles been branded.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I do not know if they would care even if they do know. Their goal is to clear the claim. You'd be stuck with the aftermath when the insurance does its report to the state. Then they will send a letter saying your titles been branded.

Oooops, should of been clearer. I didn't mean that from the standpoint of them knowing the rules and the OP to follow their lead

I meant it from the standpoint of them knowing exactly what they can and can't do such as what they can get away with so to say. They are going to do, or attempt to do, whatever benefits them the most from a financial standpoint within the law of the particular state.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
When I was in the marina bussiness we delt with quite a few "sinkers". The rust that you are seeing is not just from being in the watr,it is a result of the electrolytic action between th pos batt terminals an ground. Everything that in anyway is connected to the ground terminal will "plate off(like reverse electroplate)" to anything that is connected to the hot side.The water is the electrolyte.The more "active" the metal,such as zink hardware,aluminum,the quicker the destructive process. It will continue untill the batterys are totaly dead or the unit is removed from the water.Anything with an electrical connection will be junk.

Depending on the length of time it was submerged,any steel could suffer what is known as :nitrogen embritlement" from the electrolytic pricess.Bearings,springs,even the frame if it sat long enough.A friend of mine back in toledo owns a metal pickeling shop where they clean rusty metal with a process similar to what happened here. They use a sacrifical anode attached to the steel at key points to reduce the embritlement process.
Pretty cool tidbit. Thank you.

Bruce
Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #20

Flooding over the axels = totaled. Mold is already growing inside the walls

CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, sunseeker