Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #21

Buying used or new sunseeker

We have a 2013 Sunseeker 3010 we bought it new though rvdirect.com. We looked at a similar used 2010 Sunseeker 3010 at a dealer he wanted $70,000 for it. We bought a new 2013 which had almost every option for $6,000 less than a 3 year old used one. You can visit their website see the full price with options and request a selling price. They respond quickly ( in about 2 hours) the discount was about 35% less than retail. They don't hassle you with phone calls they just emailed me with follow up purchase info. Even if you don't buy from them you know a price you can buy it for. You can review the MSRP price and equipment on units they have in stock. Sunseeker is a good unit we were impressed with such things a fiberglass roof compared to rubber roofs which are prone to tear if a tree limb hits them. Good luck also the Sunseeker and Forester are basicly the same but there are many more Sunseeker dealers than Forester dealers.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #22

That's good to know about more Sunseeker dealers. So would a Sunseeker dealer necessarily turn away a Forester customer? Or would they not be permitted to do warranty work?
smarks1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks1632 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about which Forest River C class to buy? Sunseeker vrs Forester? We are looking at new.
I have been told that the only difference, besides the price, is that the Forester has a little better light fixtures, cedar lined closet,and hidden cabinet hinges. Not enough difference for me to pay over $2000 more.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
We have a 2013 Sunseeker 3010 we bought it new though rvdirect.com. We looked at a similar used 2010 Sunseeker 3010 at a dealer he wanted $70,000 for it. We bought a new 2013 which had almost every option for $6,000 less than a 3 year old used one. You can visit their website see the full price with options and request a selling price. They respond quickly ( in about 2 hours) the discount was about 35% less than retail. They don't hassle you with phone calls they just emailed me with follow up purchase info. Even if you don't buy from them you know a price you can buy it for. You can review the MSRP price and equipment on units they have in stock. Sunseeker is a good unit we were impressed with such things a fiberglass roof compared to rubber roofs which are prone to tear if a tree limb hits them. Good luck also the Sunseeker and Forester are basicly the same but there are many more Sunseeker dealers than Forester dealers.
Which RVDirect location did you buy from? We have been getting quotes from them and would buy from the Des Moines location. Were you happy with how you were treated, both before and after the sale? It's kind of scary to make this large of a purchase online, but we can save up to $20,000 off what the local dealers will sell for.
Thanks
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #25

We bought a 3170 rental. It was in the rental fleet for one year. It had a ton of miles. 25K+. But it was less than half the price of new. Just something to think about. We have had no problems with it at all. Changed all the fluids myself when we got it home and everything looked real good. I even got the tires recalled this summer so I have 6 new tires.

It runs strong. I pull a 24' trailer with 2 side by sides one full sized four wheeler and one kids quad with all our fuel and gear and it does great for what it is.

Stove rattles, shades if not all the way up or down. Shower door and screen door rattle and of course everything you don't pack well.

I love new, but until we we decide this is more than a hand full of trips a year. We can't complain and we love our Sunseeker.
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks1632 View Post
Not sure if this is the proper thread, but one of my concerns in getting a class C is the amount of noise that will be heard while driving from everything in the motor home rattling, vibrating, etc. Like dishes, cups, pots and pans, stuff stored in all the overhead compartments...

I have always been pretty anal about squeaks and rattles in my cars and trucks so I'm concerned about the "symphony" that may be present and uncontrollable in a Class C.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this and what they may have done to mitigate the noise...other than turning up the radio really loud ;~)

Thanks!!!
i bought inexpensive felt squares at walmart, put them between anything glass - plates, mugs, all the pans that i nest . . . quiet as can be . . . silverware i've rubberbanded together if it's an issue . . . hope this helps!
memere0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I do not want to buy a brand new class C, well I do but my funds say otherwise. I am considering a used coach, maybe up to 5 to 7 years old. But I am concerned that if I buy an older coach that I will run into problems with the appliances, water heater, generator, etc.
On a side note, how well do these things handle the big mountains out west, like the Rockies? How well do they tow a toad like a Honda CRV?

Thanks.
To answer your primary question about problems with appliances, etc., we have a 2011 model 3100 that we bought new in September, 2010. We have used it 35,000 miles and over 350 nights. I've had no problems with appliances, water heater, generator, A/C, refrigerator, slide, or anything else. I replaced the igniter on the stove top. That's it. I've had some minor problems like cabinet door lifts that failed and the stovetop hood vent flap. There are threads in this forum on modifying the Hengs brand flap. (The Hengs brand vent is junk - later ones are different.)

I've towed our 4,000 pounds Pathfinder in the Rockies several times. I've towed it in 95+ degrees on more than a 7% grade for more than 10 miles. It maintained 45 mph in 3rd gear at 3500 rpm with the cab A/C running with no problem. The coolant gauge never moved.

As for tires, there are threads in this forum about Michelin's recall of their tires with certain date codes and the size that is used on Class C's . If you purchase a motorhome with those tires, Michelin will replace them for free. Don't forget to look at the spare. It would be covered, too.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #28

Thought I was the only "dummy" to keep my travel trailer and buy a 2009 Sunseeker 3100SS. The TT is a 2011 Earth Bound Golden Ridge. If you look at a FR Aviator Wright Flyer they look like they were inspired by Earth Bound. Earth Bound went out of business. Mine has a dry weight of 4900 pounds for a 30 ft TT. No wood, aluminum inner and outer walls and composite roof and floor.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #29

Good answers to question. I bought a new 2014 Sunseeker 2860 in march of last year. Took it on many trips including out west. Performed fine in the mountains. I also tow a utv in a 12 foot trailer and it runs like it isn't there. Although I did have a Trailer brake installed. I agree we looked at forester it had a padded ceiling, extra cabinet and cedar closet, full body paint. It was 5000 more we paid 67,000 +tax at a show in Cleveland. Not worth extra money. One thing I would say is a motor home is more complicated than first glance. I am very mechanical and it is still challenging sometimes and a lot of research on this forum. What I am saying is a lot of people are not mechanical and own motor homes and it is easy to screw things up without knowing it. As for would I buy another forest river? Absolutely once you learn the ins and outs it is easier to fix things. Oh Ya the rattling. It is an issue. I was able to fix some of it with rubber mating and such. Stove is the worst but it is fixable.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #30

Yes a shock how noisy it can be! Pack well- I stuff towels in the cupboards and between dishes. Oven racks can be noisy. Our biggest rattle is the screen door. 2013 3010ds. Spooks our dog sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
skreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #31

I ordered this, looks like it might solve the rattle coming from the stove top. http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000EDUTX6/r...088100_TE_item
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #32

Hi There,

I bought a 2013 SunSeeker with 947 miles on it last year to use for short term housing. A year later we have settled in North Carolina and want to sell it. The MH has 11,090 ,miles on it. It is a 2650s model with all of the bells and whistles including Big Foot jacks, 2 tv's, satellite and receiver which has never been used and other goodies. I travelled from Ky to New Mexico and had no problems. Please let me know if there is any interest out there. Thanks.
esbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #33

New to the forum and to the lifestyle. Found a 2007 Sunseeker that is perfect for what I have in mind (extended solo time; I'm a professor so I get several months a year where I don't have to be butt in chair). It's got 45k miles, which concerns me, but the previous owners bought from this dealer so they've been around it all the while. Anything I should demand of them? They're asking $34k.
aroseinmktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #34

I should add it's a 3160.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #35

aroseinmktg, I purchased a 2008 3100SS last August with 50K for less than they are asking for the 2007. Have them certify, e-test ( saved me $1000 in work that had to be done before transfer) , certify the LPG system as I think it might need re-certification next year based on the age of the unit. The seller might try and tell you certification and e-test is your responsibility, but it all depends on how the offer to purchase is written. I wrote the testing & certification into my offer to purchase. Pressure test on the water system would also be a good idea.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #36

Great info. Thanks. How have you liked yours?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #37

It's been great. we got out to Presquille & Algonquin a couple of times Sept/Oct everything worked well. We replaced the mattress just for our own comfort. I did not like the hatch for the power cable in the rear lug compartment as you had an approx. 4"dia hole for critters to come through when you were plugged in so I had a proper cable hatch put in. A couple of other minor repairs were needed but nothing major. Added a vent cover over the front power vent as rain came in onto the cab over bunk if open. Suggest you look at getting a 50' power cord extension the 25' I bought was too short in some cases. BTW were are you located?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #38

Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said, I'm new to the lifestyle, so it'll be a big learning curve, I'm sure.

I'm in SC now and will be in KY starting this summer.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #39

OK , thought you were in Canada since you referenced mileage as 50K I was thinking KM or 30,000 miles. Based on being in the US, $34,000 is too high to pay for a 2007, closer to $30-31K in my opinion would make sense
Old 02-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #40

Ah, no, it's about 45,000 miles.

Tags
sunseeker