Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #21
Commercial Member

I'd say it was the lights if we hadn't been running them for a year now. I have yet to notice any interference. It's got to be something more than that.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #22

I took the worst one off and powered it by a tool battery. It definitely gives off RF, but without the RV wiring it doesn't carry too far. More to come as I mess with it.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #23

Hey all, I get noise from my LEDs as well. Particularly the ones closest to the radio. I've install a 12 v noise filter/suppressor on the power supply to the radio. I also installed ferrite chokes on all light fixtures. NO difference. I just live with it now.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Hey all, I get noise from my LEDs as well. Particularly the ones closest to the radio. I've install a 12 v noise filter/suppressor on the power supply to the radio. I also installed ferrite chokes on all light fixtures. NO difference. I just live with it now.
Then your noise isn't coming by way of power/ground distribution, it is through your antenna. Did you think to put a choke on it? Many of the antennas used on RVs have very poor cabling with only the most minimal of shielding. Speakers can also transmit the noise so if you have a ceiling speaker near an LED fixture and you are getting noise, you may need chokes on your speaker wires too!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
geotex, thanks. From what I've seen on various cords before, both + and - go through the choke, right?

If by any chance you can show a link to one that you think is the right size for a 14-2 DC cable, please do.
Yes, you snap them over the entire cable. Regarding size, take a look here after you measure your wiring (I can't say for sure because the OD of 14-2 can vary depending upon insulation type and rating and if you also have jacketing:

Ferrite Cable Cores- Snap On - Laird-Signal Integrity Products - Cores for Cable and Wiring | Online Catalog | DigiKey Electronics
Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #26

I know my antenna isn't grounded. But I need to get up on the roof to remove the antenna to ground it. When doing so, I'll also add the chone.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #27

geotex, do I care about the impedance or test frequency?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
geotex, do I care about the impedance or test frequency?
In an ideal world, the impedance of the choke is considered in the design of the circuit. Since we're working with several unknowns, it's not really practical here. You may need to do a little trial and error - such as putting a choke at both ends of a wire run - but because the chokes are relatively low cost it's an approach that's not too out there.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Rockwood techs replaced 8 fixture in my Fifth Wheel last summer. All caused interference on TV.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, radio