Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

Radios in new sunseekers

Hi again. I have a 3170 who's dash radio died does anyone know which radio is being used. Do not need gps so if anyone replaced the original from a 2013 etc. Which did you go with. Thanks
scoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Thread title asks about new Sunseekers; text seems to ask about 2013.
Assuming 2013, I believe Forest River was using Magnadyne radios in that timeframe (like the one in our 2012 Solera). I replaced ours with a double din Kenwood. Had to splice a lot of wires, but has worked great for us.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

Sorry typo. I have installed car radios in the past. But none with dvds. Was it easy to determine which wires from radio went to vehicle? Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Been a few years, but as I remember the wires were mostly labeled. I had the wiring diagram from the Magnadyne instructions (available on line, as I remember) and the Kenwood instructions. Anything not labeled I figured out from the diagrams and labeled myself. Made sure the wires were all labeled before I disconnected them from the Magnadyne.
Worked correctly with no wiring problems.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Link to Magnadyne M4 LCD owners manual. Wiring starts on page 54, I think:
http://app.magnadyne.com/dashboard/a...ual_Manual.pdf
Old 05-24-2018, 01:13 AM   #6

Thank you for your responses. Guess I will be going shopping tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

Magnadyne AM/FM Radio/GPS/DVD/CD/clock/Bluetooth etc in my 2013 Forest River 2300 SunSeeker motor home.
I am not happy with it.
Poor radio reception. Digital read out for stations is off, it won't pick up local FM stations, GPS lacks the voice prompts of my Garmin with Life Time Maps, I can't get the Blue Tooth to work with any phone I have tried and the clock time wanders off by itself every so often.
I was able to get the CD/DVD player to work however.
A stand alone battery radio and DVD player with my Garmin GPS stuck on the Magnadyne screen works just fine and I use an Bluetooth earpiece to connect my cellphone if I'm driving alone. I must say, the Magnadyne screen does provide a good contact for the suction cup on my Garmin GPS
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #8

Radio in Sunseeker

I own a 2017 Sunseeker 31. I'm on my third radio and the unit is back to the dealer for another one. They keep cutting out while we are driving. thanks for the information on a replacement radio. Also they are replacing my refrigerator for the third time. Dometic claims they never had a problem with the freezers. I guess I'm the lucky one.
fgdemarzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

I have a 2014 3170 and my Magnadyne just died. I will be doing the Kenwood change once I have the time and funds. I know its all a money thing but you would think FR would upgrade to something better. The biggest pain in the arse is not being able to play movies for the kids while we are traveling. I hooked an external DVD player up to the TV but the speakers in the ceiling is still thru the Mag unit.
TNshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #10

TNshawn: Yes, " We've Never Seen That Before!" seems to be the default response. I've had similar responses with two vehicle manufacturers until all the complainants were pointed out to them on the on-line forums dealing with their product.
Good thing we now have this internet tool to expose some of this and prevent some of this "First Time We've Seen This!" nonsense.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Chief tinkerer

2017 SunSeeker here. Just for discussion sake, we now use the phone Google map and listen to music through the phone Amazon Prime music. There are so many advantages, including being able to use voice control through Google Assistant app that I never knew existed until they were on the Toad we recently bought.
Our in dash unit is coming out of the SS when I get a “round to it”, replacing it with a non GPS, non DVD unit that has Android Play / Apple play built in. Maybe this Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver with Bluetooth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF9W0GU..._0ybcBb0HRXB7V

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Lake Kid View Post
Magnadyne AM/FM Radio/GPS/DVD/CD/clock/Bluetooth etc in my 2013 Forest River 2300 SunSeeker motor home.
I am not happy with it.
Poor radio reception. Digital read out for stations is off, it won't pick up local FM stations, GPS lacks the voice prompts of my Garmin with Life Time Maps, I can't get the Blue Tooth to work with any phone I have tried and the clock time wanders off by itself every so often.
I was able to get the CD/DVD player to work however.
A stand alone battery radio and DVD player with my Garmin GPS stuck on the Magnadyne screen works just fine and I use an Bluetooth earpiece to connect my cellphone if I'm driving alone. I must say, the Magnadyne screen does provide a good contact for the suction cup on my Garmin GPS

The poor Radio reception is because FR hooked the radio to the antenna under the cap of the MH,,, instead of using the antenna on the roof !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, sunseeker