Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

Random questions on SUNSEEKER

Hi everyone,

I am writing to you seeking your advice.

I have been offered two 2013 SUNSEEKER 3170 DS Class C motorhomes. One of them has a front cab bunk window and the other motorhome does not.

My questions are:

1-Do all of these two motorhomes prevent water leaks? If yes, which one is better in doing so?

2-Do both of them have fiberglass body?

3-Both of the motorhomes have manual side mirrors. Is that normal for SUNSEEKER and FORESTER class C motorhomes on Ford chassis?

4-Both motorhomes are equipped with an Onan 5500 generator (as both have 2 air conditioners). Is that type of generators too loud for a relatively small rig?

Thank you very much.
RV LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

It would take me less than 1 second to opt for the one without the front window. Stands to reason that the fewer holes, the fewer the chances for leaks. Wall bodies would be the same.

On ours, the mirrors fold flat against the side windows manually, the top mirror is power, and the bottom mirror (the curved one) is manual.

I didn't even know that a bigger generator and two AC's was an option on Sunseekers. Sounds weird. As far as noise levels, it would depend on how you were using it (in a crowded campground, on vacant land, all night, only a few hours to top off batteries, etc).
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

Number one source of water leaks in any (new) class C is front bunk window. Fiberglass front end cap is great.

I also question the two air conditioners in a Sunseeker. That would make it a 50 amp unit. Have never heard of one. Onan 4k generator is quiet and not even heard above the sound of an air conditioner running.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

Thanks paulmlac and RvBill3.

So, if I end up buying the one with front cab bunk window, is the chance for leaks considerably higher? How to deal with it before/when it happens?

What type of body do SUNSEEKER 3170 DS Class C motorhomes with a front cab bunk window have?

The generator is not loud if you are inside the motorhome. But it makes noise if you stand close to the vehicle from outside. I feel that camping in very quiet areas is not an option. Is not that normal for Onan 5K?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

Your shouldn't have any trouble with leaks on a new unit. Just inspect window seals and caulking regularly (yearly?).

All Sunseekers are fiberglass exteriors including the roofs.

Generators may not be appropriate at some campgrounds during quiet hours. While they can be heard nearby, they are not that loud. We don't use ours much, but try not to use it overnight when parked close to others at campgrounds.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #6

As to your "considerably higher" question, there's not a percentage higher number that one could point to.

Think about it this way... There's virtually no benefit to having a window on the front. But there's a lot of unnecessary risk.

Or this way... Go to RVTrader dot com or RVT dot com. Search for new Sunseekers. See how many have front windows. I, personally, haven't seen any. Actually that applies to other new brands beyond Sunseekers too. (But then again, as I mentioned above, I've never seen a new Sunseeker with 2 AC's or the bigger generator either).

I would suggest looking at seams every 6 months too.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #7

I am in my Forester #3051S with front cab-over bunk and two windows. My location is the North Carolina Mountains until Nov 1st. Since my arrival July 1st it has rained almost everyday including an all night rain last night. So far my bunk windows are dry with no signs of leaks.

The only window I got just a few drops of water to the inside was the small kitchen window. This only happened once and looking at the design I can understand how this can take place on a driving rain.

What, I would not order are the skylights if I had a chance. Plus no real need for the bunk windows either. But my Forester was a Dealer stock unit.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I like the front fiberglass cap for wind noise reduction as well. Windows let heat in. You still have the side windows for ventilation.

Who is offering dual A/C's? I thought we only did a couple of those for Saudi Arabia.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #9

Thanks Paulmlac, RvBill3, and trwmodela for your inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Who is offering dual A/C's? I thought we only did a couple of those for Saudi Arabia.
You are right. I am from Saudi Arabia Two A/C's are a necessity here. We pay around 1800 USD extra for this with an upgraded generator.
Can I get a SUNSEEKER or a FORESTER in the US with this option?
Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #10

My 3170 has been nothing but great. I have the bunk windows and on cool nights, the grandkids will open them up. Never has leaked. 2 AC units, only have one and have a 4k gen. Quite inside, no so much outside.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV LOVER View Post
Thanks Paulmlac, RvBill3, and trwmodela for your inputs.

You are right. I am from Saudi Arabia Two A/C's are a necessity here. We pay around 1800 USD extra for this with an upgraded generator.
Can I get a SUNSEEKER or a FORESTER in the US with this option?
Thanks.
Not that I am aware of. We only build them for a dealer in Saudi Arabia.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #12

Thanks Garrette and bclemens for your contributions.
Just one more question: how long does 5500 Onan run?

Tags
sunseeker