Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #1

Rattles

I have been trying to locate the causes of various rattles that I hear while driving. I have eliminated the ones from the microwave and the range top. I am fairly certain that the most annoying one comes from the shower door.

It is supposedly a glass door with three partitions. I suspect it is something like plexglass. It slides to open and close. The latch does not hold it tight against the shower frame which may be the source of the noise as the door hits the frame. The three partitions may also be banging against each other.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I am about two weeks into my 30 day full warrenty and if there is something the dealer can do that would be good.

Thanks,

Bobby
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 AM   #2

The latch on mine broke twice in the early days of ownership, so I looked for a different solution. I had mounted a towel bar over the toilet. I took a mini-sized bungee cord and stretched it from the towel bar to the top roller on the door. This holds the door in the open position. No rattles and the door does not move in transit.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 AM   #3

Rattles? Funny u post this. I have the DH in the back as I drive to pinpoint the noise.. sometimes not where it appears.. recently 2 cups touching, a pen rolling, microwave dish, shower door.. makes the trip fun hahaha

O yea- beer cans tapping against each other in the fridge. 1 of which developed a pin hole.. mess. Did not know except the DH kept accusing me of having a beer because she could smell it. 2 hrs later notice a wet floor below the fridge

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Shower Door Latch Mod

On our 2012 Solera the latch on the shower door would not stay latched, resulting in the door slamming back and forth while driving, and knocking the rollers out of the track. Dealer attempted to set the door cocked top-to-bottom so the latch would engage (bad fix - and did not work). I glued (with GOOP) a short piece of 1/4 inch drip hose to the door where the latch connected. Fixed - did the mod in 2012, still works perfectly. Over 200 nights camped and ~50,000 miles driven since with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	081012-1015.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	88116   Click image for larger version

Name:	081012-1017.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	88117  
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

Had same problems: broken latches , opening and slamming closed while on the road. Dealer kept forgetting to order latch for third time. Finally used bungee to hold open while driving. Problem solved.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

Took out my glass door and partition.
Rod and curtain- saved quite a bit of weight also.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #7

stove top, dishs, but for me is the door i put a door grill in seems to be the maker now
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

screen door
skreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreps View Post
screen door
X2.

That's the biggest source of noise in our coach. We fold up a piece of paper towel and close the door on the paper towel to stop it from rattling.

Also the blinds on the windows. They need to be about 2-3" down.
If they are all the way to the top, they rattle.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

My screen door is really the only thing that rattles if I have packed things up properly.
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #11

My rattle update:

I tried the bungee cord suggestion but noticed the towel bar was moving so I abandoned that method before it came out of the wall.

I couldn't find pool noodles as someone suggested to help with rattles. so I used some pipe insulation foam tubes. Not as stiff as pool noodles but it did help a lot. I ran the pipe insulation horizontally across the shower door just under the top frame and above the lower frame. amazing difference.

However they do fall off after awhile so i will try to secure them with some sort of clamp.

I am also thinking about using some leftover trim wood which is stiffer than the pipe foam. and I can probably cut some notches in the ends to help secure them to the glass frame.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

I always have problems with the Tequila bottles rattling as we leave on trips above the door,but it takes care of it self on the way home. Things have a way of working itself out
Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have been trying to locate the causes of various rattles that I hear while driving. I have eliminated the ones from the microwave and the range top. I am fairly certain that the most annoying one comes from the shower door.

It is supposedly a glass door with three partitions. I suspect it is something like plexglass. It slides to open and close. The latch does not hold it tight against the shower frame which may be the source of the noise as the door hits the frame. The three partitions may also be banging against each other.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I am about two weeks into my 30 day full warrenty and if there is something the dealer can do that would be good.

Thanks,

Bobby
Maybe something like this could be made and installed? This was on a previous MH of ours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0299.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	89055  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #14

The dinette table squeaks horribly on ours between the table top and the little stop piece of wood mounted on the wall. Going to put a strip of rubber on the bottom of that wood!
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #15

I don't know if any of this will be helpful, but these are some of the things we did to eliminate rattles and squeaks when going down the road. Our TV was the biggest source of irritation. The metal bracket was producing a horrible high pitched squeak as it rubbed against itself. The photos show our remedy. Also the shower doors rattled, so we stuff two small towels in between the doors and track. The drawers under the theatre seats didn't rattle, but they always came open whether they were empty or had items in them. We secure them with the same elastic bicycle rack straps that we use to hold the TV in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5416.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	89686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5415.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	89687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5395.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	89688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5413.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	89689  
Old 09-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I always have problems with the Tequila bottles rattling as we leave on trips above the door,but it takes care of it self on the way home. Things have a way of working itself out
A trick I learned from my old boating daze was to slip the bottles in an old (clean) sock. Stops the rattle, helps stop breakage from rattling together, and helps keep it cold if it comes out of the fridge!

bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreps View Post
screen door
OK, it turns out as several of you said that the major rattle was from the screen door. It took my daughter riding in the dinette seat a millisecond to identify the location of all the noise.

My solution was to attach a thin piece of rubber at the two points where the door touches the screen door. I used double sided adhesive tape. the previous owner had a strip of rubber glued to the spot where the door mechanism hits. I replaced that with some door way insulation left over from sealing up my house.

The dealer realigned the shower door so it closes without a gap. And I put some round foam insulation along the bottom channel to eliminate some noise from the door.

Thanks guys,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #18

So the door started to rattle again. I am waiting for some warmer weather to address the issue.

I had some adhesive backed insulating foam on the screen door latch where it touches the main door. That worked for awhile but must have become compressed. It was also a little too thick and sometime the door was fully shut and would come open while moving.

I may try electrical tape or duct tape next.

I also noticed there is some play in the latch mechanism. If can develop a solution to eliminate that play I feel the rattles will be minimized or gone. All the screws are tight, I check them occasionally .

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.