Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Rear slideout on 3170DS sliding out at angle

The rear slide (w/ bunks) on my 3170DS (2010) started going out at an angle. I had to pull it from out side while my wife was inside pushing the button. I've read about shear pins a little but any help/input would be welcomed. It is like the rear motor is lagging behind the motor near the fridge. No sounds different than normal.

I have an appointment with my local RV shop but would like to take a shot at fixing it first. I'm not even sure if it's corkscrew style or hydros.

Thanks.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

The slide is a schwintec slide made by lippert search on this forum and you tube and you will find lots of information. Also go to lippert site they have videos and diagrams and that should help you decide if you want to try and fix it yourself.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #3

Don't think schwintec has shear pins go to YouTube look at video on slides

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

There was a blog about motor timing. As I understand the swientec slide has 2 stepper motors meaning, the little brain counts the revolutions. I understand to run the slide out and hold the button for about 30seconds after it stops. Run it in and hold the button for about 30 sec. Do this a few times. This should reset the revolution count and even things up. Now, I hold the button in for about 10 sec after the slide stops. Give it a whirl as long if no other issues are present.
There are no shear pins.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #5

This is great info, thanks guys.

The timing on mine could be an issue although one side goes out 4-6 inches and then stops as the other side keeps going. I obviously stop it at this point and have my wife push the button while I push it out from the inside which works. It's like the motor is going bad or the voltage is bad to that motor.

Does anyone know where the slide-out controller is located at on the Sunseeker (2010)? I've read with the shore batteries so I'm going to check that when I get home.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

If it's a 3010, it's in the center under the bed.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

On my 2011 3170 it is mounted in the first storage compartment behind the rear wheel on the passenger side. it is mounted to the roof of the storage compartment.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Mines like Knockando's . Its in the compartment with the water filter... Look up.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #9

Did you get slide fixed? Let us know what was wrong and the fix.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #10

No fix yet. I forgot to mention the slide retracts with no issues, just the issue on extending. Can that rule out the motor going bad?

Thanks for the replys, I did find the slide-out controller but was confused at that point since no lights were lit. Do they only light up with possible error codes when the attempting to extend/retract? I pushed and held down the button on the controller and got a solid red and a solid green. There was no flashing so I'm not sure when I should see the error codes or maybe I don't have any.

Attempt to "re-time" motors:
1. Slide the slide all the way out (pushing out near the rear wardrobe) and held the button for 20-30 seconds. Once again it stops at 4-6 inches on the wardrobe side not the bunk side. There were some sounds near the top by the motor on the side I've been having issues, almost like clicking.
2. Slid the slide in and held the button for 20-30 second.
3. Attempted to slide it out and the same stopping after 4-6 so I ruled out the motor timing issue.

I have an appointment on 8/20 if I don't get it fixed by then. Anxious for any other ideas from you experts
Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

I found this in the Schwintek In-Wall Troubleshooting Guide (pdf), sounds like I need to watch the status lights while activating the extend/retract switch:

Only one side moving
The Schwintek In-Wall™ Room Slide has a separate motor to operate each side of the room. Does only one
side of the room move a short distance (two to four inches) and stop?

Do status LEDs light
Consult the RV manufacturers documentation for the location of the Room Slide Controller. When the room
slide direction switch is actuated, do the status led’s light up? Check this in both the extend and retract
modes.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

Having the same issue on my 3170DS. Would be interested in what repair service says.
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #13

Rear slideout on 3170DS sliding out at angle

Check out youtube. There is a video addressing the problem you describe.
Search for
I could not get the link

Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out System - Retiming

Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #14

Here is the link

Old 08-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #15

I had similar issues on my 2011 3170 bunk slide and ended up removing the slide room and replacing the slide assembly and adding 4 rollers. What I found out while doing this is the older 3170ds only has one roller to support the slide room and the newer ones have 4 rollers witch can bee seen by extending the room and looking under the slide from the outside. The rollers are to support the weight of the room not the slide assembly. The other main problem I found is there is not enough material for the screws to grab to hold the gear track to the room witch leads to loose and broken screws witch in turn leads to the gear tracks moving and putting a bind on the system causing the room to stop. After repairing my slide problems with my motors disconnected I can push my slide in or out easily by myself and when the system is running my motors sound like they are hardly under any strain. I am probably the only person on this site that will say I actually think that the schwintec slide is a good product. Imo the problems arise in the installation of the system at the factory.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
I had similar issues on my 2011 3170 bunk slide and ended up removing the slide room and replacing the slide assembly and adding 4 rollers. What I found out while doing this is the older 3170ds only has one roller to support the slide room and the newer ones have 4 rollers witch can bee seen by extending the room and looking under the slide from the outside. The rollers are to support the weight of the room not the slide assembly. The other main problem I found is there is not enough material for the screws to grab to hold the gear track to the room witch leads to loose and broken screws witch in turn leads to the gear tracks moving and putting a bind on the system causing the room to stop. After repairing my slide problems with my motors disconnected I can push my slide in or out easily by myself and when the system is running my motors sound like they are hardly under any strain. I am probably the only person on this site that will say I actually think that the schwintec slide is a good product. Imo the problems arise in the installation of the system at the factory.
We have a 2016 3171 and I only see a couple of white rollers. What color are your rollers? Thx, Ben
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #17

ben
My 2015 3170DS has three rollers under the passenger side slide. We have developed a crack under the roller closest to the entry door. It is about 10 inches from the outside frame of the slide. The crack runs front to back of the coach and is about 4 inches long.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #18

I have had schwintec systems before on a large deep slide never had a problem used it over two years never done anything to it never a loose screw worked flawless
Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad View Post
ben
My 2015 3170DS has three rollers under the passenger side slide. We have developed a crack under the roller closest to the entry door. It is about 10 inches from the outside frame of the slide. The crack runs front to back of the coach and is about 4 inches long.
Bama, that's not good. Are you getting anything done about?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #20

Appointment with CW next week. Will post details Close to my 1 year warranty.

Tags
3170, slide, slide out