Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Recommended hitch carry rack for motorcycle?

Greetings from Roanoke, VA.
We have a 2006 Sunseeker 3100LTD RV that we travel with. As of now we do not tow another vehicle and are exploring the possibility of using a hitch mounted platform/carrier for my 1986 Honda Helix. The bike weighs 350lb wet and I'm not worried about it being out in the weather while going down the road. I've ridden in rain and worse over the years and getting it wet or dirty is not a problem.
I've done a little research and recognize my lack of knowledge. I know there have to be folks out there who have crossed this road and might have some words of wisdom to share as to brand and experiences in using them.
Any ideas or suggestions?

From the factory reps, can the hitch on the 2006 Ford E-450 chassis 3100LTD handle the weight? What would be needed to enable it to carry the bike and carrier?

Thanks,
Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Theoretically. But just remember we test dead weight like that at 10 times the weight. If it is a 5000lb hitch, the tongue weight is rated at 500 lbs. 3500, 250 lbs.

On normal driving you would be OK...but hit some big bumps? that is a lot of weight cantilevered out there.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to judy3972
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Theoretically. But just remember we test dead weight like that at 10 times the weight. If it is a 5000lb hitch, the tongue weight is rated at 500 lbs. 3500, 250 lbs.

On normal driving you would be OK...but hit some big bumps? that is a lot of weight cantilevered out there.
What would be the max weight you would recommend?

Phoenix, Az.
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Missing Link

Here you go. http://www.discountramps.com/carriers.htm
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I think you're fine if you just follow the tongue weight specifications...just realize that is not a guaranty. I would shy away from off-roading it.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #6

Motorcycle storage

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the lack of reply from me. Been busy researching things. I checked out the Discount Ramps and they led me to the Versahaul Sport RO for my Helix since it has a long (64") wheelbase. | Versahaul
I also found a lighter and less expensive version at Northern Tool and they had 3 possibilities motorcycle carrier from Northern Tool + Equipment

I'll probably go with the Northern Tool Ultra-Tow aluminum carrier since it weighs less than the Versahaul product and will put less strain on my hitch.

Thanks again,
Chris in Virginia

Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
Thanks for the replies, sorry for the lack of reply from me. Been busy researching things. I checked out the Discount Ramps and they led me to the Versahaul Sport RO for my Helix since it has a long (64") wheelbase. | Versahaul
I also found a lighter and less expensive version at Northern Tool and they had 3 possibilities motorcycle carrier from Northern Tool + Equipment

I'll probably go with the Northern Tool Ultra-Tow aluminum carrier since it weighs less than the Versahaul product and will put less strain on my hitch.

Thanks again,
Chris in Virginia
You may also want to check etrailer.com. Orders over $150 are free shipping. I have had good luck with them.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

If 5000 lb. hitch is 500 tongue weight how is 3500 = to 250 lbs. Im confused boss
vacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Whoops...that should be 350. Fat fingers.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #10

I have a sunseeker 2900 and i carry my honda helix with us for long trips. My mcy carrier is rated for 500 lbs. Never a problem, I don't even realize it is back there. Just make sure the scooter is tied down well, don't skimp on the tie downs. Also check the tension of the tie downs after going a few miles, they loosen up sometimes. Make sure your tail lights are visible, I have a set of magnetic rear markers I put on the carrier to make sure people can see my brake/signal lights.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #11

Another Helix!

Mike,
Wow, another Helix rider!
What year Helix do you ride?
What kind/brand of carrier are you using?
I decided on the steel carrier from Northern Tool, bought on sale for $110, the tie down straps from them also, $10 for the set of 4. I'll probably upgrade them soon, but they handled the trip quite well. My wife wondered why I was checking the bike and tiedowns frequently, to the point of rocking the whole coach when I checked for movement. This carrier has a ramp to push the bike up on and roll down off. After this trip I decided I'll be adding expanded metal to the ramp and platform to make it easier to roll those dinky donut tires on and off. Good idea on adding the magnetic tail lights. My tail lights are visible with the bike loaded, but I'm pretty anal about safety so I had thought of adding the additional taillights also. Something else to think about...
Here are a couple photos of the rig.

Chris in Virginia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3971.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	16964   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3922.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	16965   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3927.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	16966  

Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #12

My Helix is a 1995. It is actually my wife's. I have a 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400. She just started riding this year. I used to be into sport bikes, untill I had some hip surgery 2 years ago. Now the scooter is just too darn comfortable! I'm attaching a pic of my carrier, not sure the brand. I bought it used for 90 bucks. I also put yellow flags on each corner, hard to see it at night w/o the bike on it. Running your shin into it once taught me that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-25_06.35.52.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	16989  
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #13

I also added small wheels in the back, makes it easier to move around.....
Old 07-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #14

Wheels

Mike,
Good idea to add the wheels to the carrier, would make it easier to move around when off of the coach.
The Helix has been noted to be one of the most "comfortable" bikes to ride.
Some call it a La-Z-Boy on 2 wheels with its feet forward design. A service manager at a local bike shop once said it was "a souped up lawn mower engine on 2 wheel barrow tires".

Chris in Virginia