Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Refrigerator failure...

As we were preparing for our 2nd jaunt out in our new Sunseeker (3 day road trip - geocaching, hot springing, sight seeing - Painted hills/Alvord desert/Steens, etc), we started the fridge a couple days ago to cool it down. We had added some non-critical items (chocolate - Yum!) All was working fine until today.

The lovely N was adding some food items, and commented "this stuff doesn't feel as cold as it should be". Hmmm.

I checked the breakers and found all was ok. I toggled them off, then back on just to be sure.
Note: A "popped" breaker may appear to be in the on position - the handle moves slightly toward center when it has interrupted the circuit. Make a note of it!

Testing found we didn't have 12 volts at the fridge even though the unit was plugged into shore power. 110 showed it was working by the plug-in meter over the sink, and my additional panel-mount 12V meter in the control panel showed 13+ volts.
Note: Even if plugged into 110VAC, the refer still requires 12V for the control board. Make a note of it!

Back tracing, I found the bundle of wires under the fridge, but they looked ok though there was several crimped connections there. I've already found a number of bad crimps in other circuits, so suspected that might be the issue.

Next, I decided to check for blown fuses. I walked down the line of 15A fuses in the panel, pulling each one by one, checking for a fried element. I then re-inserted the fuses. No red "fuse blown" leds were on.

No luck. So, I walked back down the line pulling all 15A fuses as I suspected a non-visual break, and shorting out each set of terminals while the lovely N watched the refer. The switch was on, so it should have lit up when I hit the right fuse sockets. Oddly, the 12V circuit for the refer is not marked.

No luck. Sigh.. what the heck is wrong with the fridge, a day before a trip?

I walked around the corner to the side door, and noted the house power was off. Why, that should be on! I turned it on... and guess what? The fridge came on! But - it the check light was on, in addition to the power light. I still had all the 15A fuses out and several red "fuse blown" indicators were glowing brightly... hee hee. I re-inserted all fuses, but didn't pay attention to the one that turned off the check light... oh well. Problem solved.

Why was the switch off? I had turned it off earlier in the day because that's a convenient way to shut down all the lights in the coach when I'm doing projects. The main shut-off doesn't disconnect the charger part of the charger/converter, so the batteries continue to be maintained (along with the chassis battery). Even though we were setting up for a trip, I turned it off purely by habit.

Note: The refrigerator control board is "controlled" with the main shut-off. Make a note of it!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #2

Been there done that, but only once so far . Have a safe trip.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

On our 2011 model 3100 Sunseeker, the refrigerator gets its 12 volt supply from the same fuse as the furnace. It was only marked "Furnace".
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #4

Thanks - I'll test the furnace fuse on ours. The furnace is under the refer but it could be wired to another fuse as well.

Tags
refrigerator