Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Anacortesians

I find it hard to believe, in our litigation-oriented society, that nobody has sued the water heater manufacturers for scalding injuries because the heater thermostat isn't adjustable to suit user preference and is usually much too hot.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I find it hard to believe, in our litigation-oriented society, that nobody has sued the water heater manufacturers for scalding injuries because the heater thermostat isn't adjustable to suit user preference and is usually much too hot.
As far as I know, they all ship with a 130 deg fixed t-stat.
Have been for some years.
We get more posts here asking how to turn up the heat than how to
turn it down.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
As far as I know, they all ship with a 130 deg fixed t-stat.
Have been for some years.
We get more posts here asking how to turn up the heat than how to
turn it down.
I would guess the reason for the temp set at 130° is to make the limited amount (6 gal) go farther. Our 45 gal electric at home is set to 145° by choice.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
I read on one of the forums that the Atwood mixing valve can be adjusted. The thread delt with repairing and cleaning the valve. The adjustment is sealed with silicone or epoxy that has to be dug out to tear the valve apart.

I'll try to find it.

Rick

Edit: found it, it was on the sister site.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/atwo...ir-105558.html

Rick
Rick,
THANKS! That is awesome. (I'm glad there were other posts here. Editing doesn't make a thread "newer".)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #25

We babysit our grandkids and when washing their hands, they know to only use the cold water tap. If hot water is to be used then they have adult supervision. They always have one of us watching them. This is the way it is when here at the house or in the 5er.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
We babysit our grandkids and when washing their hands, they know to only use the cold water tap. If hot water is to be used then they have adult supervision. They always have one of us watching them. This is the way it is when here at the house or in the 5er.
Smart grandparents.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Steve Jackson

I don't know if it's possible maybe they can put a safety device similar to those on water coolers with hot water. A safety button has to be pressed first before the hot water will dispense.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
I don't know if it's possible maybe they can put a safety device similar to those on water coolers with hot water. A safety button has to be pressed first before the hot water will dispense.
Really?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Or replace the taps with a single lever faucet. That may help reduce the possibility of having "hot" on only.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Or replace the taps with a single lever faucet. That may help reduce the possibility of having "hot" on only.
Good idea especially for those with children. I like them better also.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #31
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Really?
Really, the new generation water coolers have the safety feature. But I do like the idea of the single lever faucets.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Really, the new generation water coolers have the safety feature. But I do like the idea of the single lever faucets.
And the cost would be prohibitive IMO. I sure wouldn't want to have to press a button to get hot water in addition to turning a faucet. Love the KISS principal for everything.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
Steve Jackson

Quote:
And the cost would be prohibitive IMO. I sure wouldn't want to have to press a button to get hot water in addition to turning a faucet. Love the KISS principal for everything.
Understandable it was just a thought that popped into my head. It would be a pain.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #34

Quote:
You can also buy a faucet that has 2 valves under the sink to mix hot and cold how you want it, then up above is just one knob.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
That's what we have on our kitchen sink and I find I burn myself more with that one than anywhere else. It doesn't help that it's 100% opposite hot/vs/cold in the direction that you push/pull the temperature selector than our kitchen faucet at home.

With the bathroom sinks, daughter does turn the cold on and then add hot to it. The kitchen is a bit more obtuse.

Either way, I'm definitely going to look at playing with the winterization valves to adjust the heat down slightly. Bringing it more inline with my home water heater.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's what we have on our kitchen sink and I find I burn myself more with that one than anywhere else. It doesn't help that it's 100% opposite hot/vs/cold in the direction that you push/pull the temperature selector than our kitchen faucet at home...
You can just switch the hot & cold water lines underneath the sink and correct that. Doesn't even take a wrench.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
You can just switch the hot & cold water lines underneath the sink and correct that. Doesn't even take a wrench.
And sometimes the answer is painfully obvious. Thanks- hadn't thought about that. I'll climb under there next trip.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #38

Mine is so hot on electric that the outside pressure relief valves leaks. Thats how I noticed it. Switch to propane and it is fine.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #39
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Mine is so hot on electric that the outside pressure relief valves leaks. Thats how I noticed it. Switch to propane and it is fine.
That seems abnormal and something that should be looked at. I think there is a temperature gauge that shuts off the heating element. It sounds like there are separate ones for electric vs. propane. Could it be that your electric one is malfunctioning?