Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Replacing WFCO Converter

Always been able to get great answers here so have another question...

2013 Sunseeker 3100SS. Batteries had gone bad so I switched the 12v batteries for two 6v deep cycle batteries yesterday and everything seems to be working fine....I just raised the step 3/4 of an inch to accommodate the larger size batteries.
Now looking to upgrade from the existing WFCO 55amp power converter installed in the rear storage compartment to an IOTA DLS 55amp/iq4 4 stage smart charger.
I think I see where the power cord for the existing converter goes into the wall of the storage compartment, but not sure where it plugs in. Any ideas? Thought I'd ask before I start pulling things apart.

Also, for anyone that's replaced their converter, is this a fairly easy install?

Thanks!
kmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmergen View Post
Always been able to get great answers here so have another question...

2013 Sunseeker 3100SS. Batteries had gone bad so I switched the 12v batteries for two 6v deep cycle batteries yesterday and everything seems to be working fine....I just raised the step 3/4 of an inch to accommodate the larger size batteries.
Now looking to upgrade from the existing WFCO 55amp power converter installed in the rear storage compartment to an IOTA DLS 55amp/iq4 4 stage smart charger.
I think I see where the power cord for the existing converter goes into the wall of the storage compartment, but not sure where it plugs in. Any ideas? Thought I'd ask before I start pulling things apart.

Also, for anyone that's replaced their converter, is this a fairly easy install?

Thanks!
Well its an easy install but why the iota? That is still an all automatic system. Most prefer the charge wizard type from PD. These are also a direct fit into the bottom end of the wfco. No need to mount somewhere away or in back of the power center.
2020 Ram 1500 classic 5.7l hemi 3:21 rear 8 speed
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

I got this replacement..

PD4655MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155 (Includes 4600 Remote)

And to make these perform optimal you should replace the wire from batts to converter with a larger size. 4 gauge possibly...
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 05-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #4

2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 05-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
Well its an easy install but why the iota? That is still an all automatic system. Most prefer the charge wizard type from PD. These are also a direct fit into the bottom end of the wfco. No need to mount somewhere away or in back of the power center.
Probably just lack of knowledge, lol. Wasn't aware I could just add the charge wizard. When I read about the IQ4 component of the IOTA it had sounded as if it performed the same function with the bulk, absorption, float and maintenance stages.

So if I hunt around there's going to be an outlet somewhere to plug this thing in at? The current converter is installed about 1 foot away from the fuse panel which is beside the bed above the rear storage.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
So if I hunt around there's going to be an outlet somewhere to plug this thing in at? The current converter is installed about 1 foot away from the fuse panel which is beside the bed above the rear storage.
If it's about a foot away, the install is actually more simple than what lawrosa showed. In your case, it SHOULD just unplug from a 20amp outlet. If it doesn't, it's hard-wired to a 20amp breaker. When replacing the latter, you should first install a 20amp outlet (using 12 gauge wire) and then the new converter will plug into it.

I swapped my WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics. I later had to upgrade the PD when I went with lithium batteries. Here's a picture from that swap:

It's really just unplug the converter, disconnect the pos, neg, and ground wires. Maybe unscrew it from the floor. Put the new one in its place. Be careful that you get + and - correct.

If I can do it, a trained monkey could.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Probably just lack of knowledge, lol. Wasn't aware I could just add the charge wizard. When I read about the IQ4 component of the IOTA it had sounded as if it performed the same function with the bulk, absorption, float and maintenance stages.

If the current converter is about a foot from the fuse panel that dont make sense. The charge portion should be at the bottom of fuse/breakers like my wfco. Since its the same 55 amp model I would assume.

Possibly someone replaced it already?

The PD unit and iota are similar. But the iota is automatic. The PD is automatic too but has a button you can push to force it in bulk mode. This is handy when charging.

If your batts are only slightly discharged and its getting in the PM, you can run your generator for say an hour and push the button for bulk 14.4. The iota would probably just charge at the 13.6 voltage because as I stated.. Automatic with no control..

But if you got it, I hear they are good as they do bulk at the higher 14.8 mode.

There are other modules you can get for them now with different charge algorithms.
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 05-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
If the current converter is about a foot from the fuse panel that dont make sense. The charge portion should be at the bottom of fuse/breakers like my wfco. Since its the same 55 amp model I would assume.
Nope, not all WFCO converters are built into the distribution panel. My first camper was separate; this camper they're together.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Nope, not all WFCO converters are built into the distribution panel. My first camper was separate; this camper they're together.

Interesting...
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Interesting...
I can only say that because I was equally surprised the other way around. I thought all converters were separate until I was waiting for delivery on this rig and asked someone to tell me what converter it had for replacing it purposes. He said it would be hard to do because it was built-in like you showed. (Turns out, it wasn't so hard- but still not as easy as a separate unit entirely.)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:

Possibly someone replaced it already?

The PD unit and iota are similar. But the iota is automatic. The PD is automatic too but has a button you can push to force it in bulk mode. This is handy when charging.

If your batts are only slightly discharged and its getting in the PM, you can run your generator for say an hour and push the button for bulk 14.4. The iota would probably just charge at the 13.6 voltage because as I stated.. Automatic with no control..

But if you got it, I hear they are good as they do bulk at the higher 14.8 mode.

There are other modules you can get for them now with different charge algorithms.
Thanks for the explanation so I understand a bit better on the differences.

We purchased our Sunseeker preowned so maybe the converter had been replaced. Really have no idea.

Going to try and attach a few photos.
The photo of the converter shows it mounted on the wall of the rear compartment (have already removed the protective cover that was over it.
The box where the fuses are doesn't seem as large as some I've seen and doesn't seem to have a lower area where I've seen converters installed (like yours).
The carpeted wall to the left of the fuse box is the wall to the rear compartment on which the converter is installed on the opposite side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180524_145202.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	173195   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180524_145249.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	173196   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180524_145433.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	173197  
Old 05-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #12

So I'm guessing and hoping maybe that if I remove the panel where the fuses are maybe I'll find an outlet.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
Always Learning

That red and black wire are the 12v outputs. There should be a power cable on the backside of that converter that goes somewhere.

Here's the installation manual:
http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ion-Manual.pdf
Old 05-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That red and black wire are the 12v outputs. There should be a power cable on the backside of that converter that goes somewhere.

Here's the installation manual:
http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ion-Manual.pdf
Yes, there is a power cable on the backside. Where it plugs in and if there's an outlet are the million dollar questions :-)
Old 05-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Yes, there is a power cable on the backside. Where it plugs in and if there's an outlet are the million dollar questions :-)
LOL, yeah... just git a big hammer and git 'er done!
Old 05-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #16

Did you get the iota yet? If stand alone like that you have more options for better control of charging..

Get the 14.8 deck mount here with wizard...

9200-14.8 Volt Deck Mount

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9260...l#.WwcqMEgvyUk
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 07-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #17

Yep, had already gotten the IOTA. Tried taking the distribution panel off to look for where the outlet may be for power but I think the wires were to tight and I couldn't pull it more than a couple of inches.
So, I enlarged the hole where the existing battery and power cables went from the storage compartment. Turns out there was a 120 outlet on the reverse side of the distribution panel and I was able to reach my hand in from the storage bay, unplug the old and plug the new one in. It's worked wonderfully the last month or two with the new 6v deep cycle batteries.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #18

Just a simple question... what is wrong with the WFCO and why upgrade it?
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #19

My OEM WFCO was not a smart 4 stage charger, and because I'm hooked up almost 100% of the time, it boiled out my batteries........or tried to. Changed to a 4 stage smart converter, and not one drop has gone out of batteries since.

That'd be MY reason.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My OEM WFCO was not a smart 4 stage charger, and because I'm hooked up almost 100% of the time, it boiled out my batteries........or tried to. Changed to a 4 stage smart converter, and not one drop has gone out of batteries since.

That'd be MY reason.
Thanks!
sask is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, wfco