Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
Senior Gold Member

Roadmaster 4750 Tow Defender

I am having Blue Ox tow bars installed on my Sunseeker DS towing a 2018 Toyota Corolla iM and was thinking about buying the Roadmaster 4750 Tow Defender protective screen for lack of a better word. This model fits Blue Ox tow bars apparently but both people who rated the Roadmaster 4750 Tow Defender said they had to drill a couple of holes to make it fit. Anyone had experience with these and what holes were needed?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Why not consider the Protect-a-Tow mentioned in THIS thread? You'll save about $200.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

I have the Tow Defender and am very happy with it. This is from the instruction sheet " some Blue Ox and
Demco baseplates vary in width. If you find that the shoulder bolt adaptors do not line up with the pre-drilled holes
in the support tube, you must drill new holes in the support
tube "

I am towing a 17 Corolla which is similar. There are a couple of quirks you need to learn....pushing the ignition button one time (if you have push button start) unlocks the steering wheel. If you should have reason to open the drivers door again after closing, it will lock the steering and you will need to go thru the procedure again.

Also, when you push the button to place it in the accessory position to provide 12 volt power to the power port for a Brake Buddy or similar braking system, it will time out in twenty minutes and cut off the power supply to the power port. You will need to purchase a heavy duty power port extension cord with alligator clips to hook up directly to the battery and run it thru the door or have a continuous power supply installed inside the vehicle. If you purchase an extension don't buy a cheap one from Amazon. I got mine from West Marine and it is heavy duty.

PM me if you have any questions.

Bill
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:42 AM   #4
Senior Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Why not consider the Protect-a-Tow mentioned in THIS thread? You'll save about $200.

Between our winter trip to and from Arizona and our summer travels we are clocking about 7000-8000 highway miles per year pulling a car, I want something really tough.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:19 AM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

And the testimonials of those on its website who have used it to travel the ALCAN aren't enough? Okay. [emoji849]

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
And the testimonials of those on its website who have used it to travel the ALCAN aren't enough? Okay. [emoji849]
Haven’t committed to any system yet but the Protect A Tow system in addition to being cheaper does look like lighter build and I not sure how compatible it is with the Blue Ox Avail tow bars.
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

From what I've seen, it looks to be more how compatible it would be on motorhome/toad. I have a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and I'll be ordering the Protect-a-Tow soon. Plan on using it once in May and then again for a trip in June.
I'll give my report on the thread I indicated earlier in this one.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
Between our winter trip to and from Arizona and our summer travels we are clocking about 7000-8000 highway miles per year pulling a car, I want something really tough.
Have had the Protect-A-Tow on for 3 years and 25K miles with no rock hits, have never seen one easier or better IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow_Setup.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	201816  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker