Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Plain Old Member

I've looked at that RV roof deal before. Kind of stashed it away in the memory bank for, if all else fails and I really wanted to keep the MH long term. Wonder why nobody's tried this in production yet? I'd love to see one in person.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gcampers View Post
It's funny you mention the spray in bedliner. Coulda you imagine how rock solid these roofs would be with line X? I wonder if that comes in polar white? Lol. I'm glad you're having fun with yours and problem free.
Probably not practical but, Rhinoliner comes in many different colors. Your favorite school color. Wonder what it would weigh? Just thinking out loud.
I have line-x in my GMC. Tough as nails.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #23

Haha! Even though I'm from FL, I'm a TN Volunteer fan. How would TN orange look?!
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #24

Newmar Factory & Fiberglass Roofs

I was at the Newmar Factory this past summer. The Dutchstar is their most popular diesel pusher and at the time I owned a 2010 model. During the factory tour I found out a fiberglass roof is an upgrade on Dutchstars. My unit did not have the fiberglass roof. I saw the large one piece fiberglass roofs stacked and ready to be installed. Also, all of their luxury coaches get a one piece fiberglass roof. $800K King Aire's!

Their work force is mostly Amish and Mennonite. Their work ethic and attention to detail was impressive. I also got the chance to meet Mahon Miller the owner of Newmar and inventor of the RV Slide!

So, I was happy to find a fiberglass roof on my new 2013 Forester #3051S. This to me is an upgrade and a longer lasting then other roofing materials. Now downsized to my first Class "C" and getting ready for a four month trip.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Haha! Even though I'm from FL, I'm a TN Volunteer fan. How would TN orange look?!
Well, I was thinking Clemson Orange, would look awesome and so confusing with the VOLS orange.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #26
Commercial Member

I don't know about you trwmodela..but I'm always a little concerned with the Amish running all the electrical.

Maybe that's why the Mennonites are there

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I don't know about you trwmodela..but I'm always a little concerned with the Amish running all the electrical.

Maybe that's why the Mennonites are there
Wonder why? They have 12V battery powered tail and signal lights.....
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #28

Quote:
I was disappointed too. Although, the thought of parting with our unit for weeks to get a roof isn't appealing either.. There isn't really a good outcome to be had. I'm trying to put things in perspective, and not fight over a motorhome. We chose FR, nobody forced us. We'll do some searching for a replacement, but as for us, Forest River products will not be a choice.
Reading all of this has my wife researching other brands. We liked Thor and also REALLY like a canadian brand called Triple E
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #29

As you know there are others working the line besides Amish and Mennonites. I took two tours over a four day period and talked to several employees. But my plans of going full-time in my Newmar Class "A" has changed. So, I am keeping my house and trying the Class "C" RV's.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #30

Jim, you should look into Nexus class C units. I have heard really good feedback from folks who own them. They have a much smaller production line so I hear they do top notch work and customize units for the owners. I didn't choose them before because they are not sold on lots, and I assumed that a local dealer who sells primarily FR products would see to it that FR stand behind the product. Well, you the story since you've been reading. I think the key is finding a unit that doesn't need to frequently be in the shop for warranty repairs. I would happily pay a few more bucks to get that.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Just to be clear, I was only kidding about the Amish.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
Plain Old Member

Nexus does have its pluses. Similar if not same thin material on the roof, except they wrap theirs over the side opposed to having the aluminum radius. Hadn't heard of any cracking on theirs, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Tons more FR's on the road, so obviously we'll read more about them. I wasn't crazy about the wheel base to length ratio as they have a shade more overhang, however, they will have the suspension lifted if you want. Good people, and I've been watching them grow, but time will tell. When I was up there, they were just fixing to start doing their own laminating. Also toying with the idea of a class A.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #33

You should look at the Thor ace . We were very impressed.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #34

Yes, we looked at those. They are nice. Our dealer sells those like crazy. I'm going to meet with dealership owner to discuss how they would handle buying back my unit to move into something else. We'll see how they handle it.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #35

Totally agree that FR should replace, but 'cover' patches like premabond and truck liner don't penetrate the cracks. I would recommend one of the low surface tension/low viscosity epoxies that will (sorta super GerRot) that would penetrate down into the cracks.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #36

That's good to know. I'm not going to put anything on it. If it leaks on out trip someone else can deal with it under warranty when I get rid of it. There decision to let it go was not mine, so they can do extensive repairs later if needed. My goal is to get rid of it before those damages occur.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
Plain Old Member

4Gcampers, what's the latest on the roof cracks. Got any worse, traded it?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #38

Well BigJohn, we have been on the road for three weeks going to the Grand Canyon. We should get back home to FL today and park it for awhile. We did get some big rains in Louisiana night before last, no obvious leaks. Once we're home I'll continue to try to get someone at the factory to get some answers or response. I have to take the rig to the dealer and leave it to fix other issues that broke along the way...water heater, water pump, TV mount, etc. I'll keep you posted
Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #39
Plain Old Member

Thanks for the update. I really hate yall are having all of the problems. Our Class A just about took me out of RVing due to all the problems, but my wife kept commenting on letting just 1 RV kick my butt, so I kept going. My priority levels in life have always been God, Family, then Rving, so it ranks high and I can't just give it up. Traded to this one only to have problems, just fewer and different. Fixing to trade again, but this time for full timing and space reasons. I think you may have mentioned possibility of a Class A at one point. Just do extensive research and homework which I know you will. We sunk over $100k in our class A only to have LOTS of problems. Made us really sick. Guess we thought since it cost that much, the problems would be less. Well, if I made a list of cost of RV vs. problems, the more they cost the more and worse problems they've had. And most of my problems have all been due to construction, not third party components. Had to eat around $18k to trade it, at 7 months old. Probably will have to eat about $15k on this one just to unload it, but that's just a guess. Either way, I hope and pray yall can either get this one ironed out or get one that will have minimal problems where yall can return to the reason you got into this in the first place. Sometimes it's worth to take a hit on one to get what will make you happy. Good luck and we wish yall well.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #40

It sounds like our priorities are very similar. I promised the wife I wouldn't let these RV issues spoil our family time. Now I just laugh when something new happens. We stopped at three dealers along our route to try to fix issues. Two wouldn't do FR warranty work. I hope our dealer back home will back is as promised when we ordered it. The class A that we could afford could likely have the same types of issues. Can't afford a Newmar or allegro. It sure would be nice if the dealer and FR would offer to order us a replacement.