Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
Plain Old Member

I'm not sure of your wishes on the existing unit, but I would be persistent in getting the whole roof skin replaced. It's really not that big of a deal. I've seen them being done at the factory service center. I really think if you can get the right people, that is what will happen. There is no way I'd let anybody do a bandaid fix on a new unit. Sealant or eternabond is not a fix and should not even be mentioned any more. If I haven't sent you the service center contacts I dealt with, I can PM you. They took care of me and set me up in a really nice hotel for a week up there. Although they prefer you deal with your dealer, I just went directly to them and never involved the dealer. Dealer had already tried to BS me once, which is all it takes for me to X them off the list. And I was just testing their knowledge like I do sometimes, asking questions I know the answers to. Sent a list, discussed on the phone, set up an appointment and away we went. I hope this is an option for you as they do pretty good work up there, at least what I saw.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #42

We finally made it home from the Grand Canyon! As we pulled into our driveway our 32" Jensen LED died and has decided not to turn on again. All i could do was laugh. I'm do glad it worked on our trip for the kids!
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #43
Plain Old Member

Glad y'all made it home safe. Can't help but laugh I reckon. Been there with the "what's next" thought. I'm a firm believer though that for every bad thing or things that happen, something very good is around the corner. It's always worked like that for us. I've got several of those stories, and things always turn around and we're blessed 10 fold.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gcampers View Post
We finally made it home from the Grand Canyon! As we pulled into our driveway our 32" Jensen LED died and has decided not to turn on again. All i could do was laugh. I'm do glad it worked on our trip for the kids!
Check the power cord. ASA is really good about handling warranty issues on those TV's. My power cord had a defect that took a few days to show up...but the connection failed and would not power up.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #45

Power Cord

Bclemens,

I'm actually on our 5th power cord. There is some kind of design flaw, and for the safety of others I would bring this to someones attention as i think its a fire hazard. I emailed ASA the same. They wont replace them under warranty since i'm not a dealer, and my dealer has no clue how to get one..so, I ordered three online from jensendirect.com. I have taken all of them apart after they fail and the same thing is present. The plug heats up while watching TV, causing it to melt over time inside. A tension spring inside slips back once the plastic melts and the TV loses power. I brought three extras on our long trip and I have one working one left. It's a once plug per trip for me. when i was at the dealer the last time, another owner of a 3050 smelled smoke in his camper then, the TV went out. Same issue.

I was hoping that was all of the issues with my TV this time, but I put a brand new plug in, still not working. when my wife turned on the light switch under the dinette cabinet, a pop was heard in the subwoofer under the bench seat and the TV powered off. Now when you turn the TV on, it flashes, then shuts down again. all fuses are good. I must have some 12 V issues that fired the TV to add to my long list.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post

Probably not practical but, Rhinoliner comes in many different colors. Your favorite school color. Wonder what it would weigh? Just thinking out loud.
I have line-x in my GMC. Tough as nails.
Ok ok take a look. I told you rhino was the way to go

http://www.prweb.com/releases/rv/roo...web9564741.htm
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #47

Looks like a good product. I'll have to wait and see how FR responds to our claim. Seems like this would be a less expensive alternative, and ultimately a better product.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Looks like a good product. I'll have to wait and see how FR responds to our claim. Seems like this would be a less expensive alternative, and ultimately a better product.
Look into http://www.rvroof.com/ as a potential resource. IMOH if I liked my RV and I do, I would go this route if all else failed. Of course, at $135 per foot, that's $4,000 for my see C, I would feel screwed for a long time.
They are in your neighborhood, just south of Jacksonville. Just a suggestion, wonder if they preform warranty work? Might be worth a call. BClemons might chime in on this idea.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #49

I really like the looks of this product. I will call them in the am. I bet they might cut a better price since all oft roof vents and covers are brand new and would not need to be replaced. I'll ask if them of they ever deal with situations like this where the manufacturer has issues with there roof.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #50

Just as an update, our dealer is submitting a quote to FR for the roof coating at RVroof.com. Its $3200 for our C. They were very familiar with the issues with these filon roofs being used on RVs. They frequently do repairs for the spider cracks that I have, as well as dealer quick fixes. I hope FR approves so we can get it done and go camping with our unit again.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #51

Quote:
Just as an update, our dealer is submitting a quote to FR for the roof coating at RVroof.com. Its $3200 for our C. They were very familiar with the issues with these filon roofs being used on RVs. They frequently do repairs for the spider cracks that I have, as well as dealer quick fixes. I hope FR approves so we can get it done and go camping with our unit again.
If you get it done at rv roof, take pictures during the process if possible. Before, during and after. Love to learn more about the process and your thoughts on the process. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #52

Will do. They said they take lots of pictures during the process, damage and rotten wood. Many of the units they work on end up in litigation die to faulty or a complete lack of repairs.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #53
Plain Old Member

Like Garrette, I'd love to see pictures of this. I've had them saved in my favorites for a while, but never known anyone personally that did it. Plenty of pictures on the site. If I were going to keep an RV for a while, I'd probably have it done whether I needed it or not. Besides cost, why in the world wouldn't a manf. do this from the get go? It would minimize warranty claims? I really hope they approve this for you. It would be to yours and FR's advantage I think.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #54

FYI RhinoLiner does RV roofs also.

Dealers may be limited. Just something to keep under your bonnet.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #55

http://www.rhinolinings.com/newseven...ration-product
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #56

I promised to keep those following updated. Well, not much to report. Motorhome parked in garage. Dealers are not interested in trade unless I take 20k hit, I'm too honest to sell to a private owner with issues, Forest River Inc. = silent. RV roof folks in Jacksonville seem wonderful, but it's a 3200 out of pocket fix. So, back to square one, motorhome sits in garage, wife writes the check for it each month. Lol. I'll update if something changes.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #57
Plain Old Member

Well, if I were in those shoes........If I really liked the motorhome and intended on keeping it, I'd probably end up just forking over the 3200 and get the roof I wanted, plus some peace of mind. $3200 vs. $20k hit is quite a difference. I took a $15k hit on my tiffin at 7 months old and had to try and forget about it quick as it made me sick. I'm like you with the "too honest to sell to private owner" deal. I've only sold 2 out of 6 RV's to an individual, but those had NO problems and both parties were happy campers. I'm kind of ticked you hadn't got any response from FR, especially since I've seen them replacing whole roofs in person at their service center.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #58

Trust me, the $3200 fix seems like the best option. They mailed me a sample, and that stuff looks tough!! It's an 1/8 inch thick.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #59
Commercial Member

I'm not sure why you have to park it. It should still be usable. Also, I have not given up on pushing for resolution. I have been prodding our service department to be pro-active and not just re-active to the dealer requests. Sometimes it works... I try to be the squeaky wheel they can't mute.

I'm like chinese water torture. Drip...Drip...Drip...Drip
(with all of our recent "over sensitivity" in this nation I feel the need to point out that I mean no offense to the chinese, nor any religion thats hold water holy. No drips were harmed in the making of this post. And I am in no way inferring that the chinese still torture anyone)

Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #60
Commercial Member

I was informed they are looking at multiple options. Not really "silence". They asked the dealer for some better pictures and more info on the re-coat process.