Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

Roof cracks

Well, I was washing the roof on my 2014 2900 and discovered a void in the caulking where the front cap meets the roof. I was able to squeeze some water out. More alarming, I noticed little micro Cracks in the fiberglass roof all the way down along the seam to back of the coach. They are small, spider web cracks about 2-4 inches from the sidewall. I contacted dealer today and they will take pictures and recaulk the end cap Fri. Anyone else with same issue? Hoping that a roof replacement is not needed on a brand new coach.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #2

No cracks that we've noticed, but crummy sealing around roof and other spots on RV big time. Good luck

Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

I really hate hearing this. I'm just about sick and tired of hearing about the almighty fiberglass roof. Its one of several manufacturers selling points, yet I think I'd rather deal with black streaks and epdm. Granted, I haven't had my fiberglass roof crack, yet, but its possible. Been reading the same thing over on the Georgetown threads. Some of those or horrible. I'd be interested to see what the outcome is.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #4

Yes, it's disturbing to happen on a brand new home. You may want to take a close look along the perimeter of your roof. It's the only place I've noticed it, but the more I look, the more I find. At least I keep mine under a carport, out of rain and sun. If the fix is similar to my many other repairs on this coach, the fix will be LOTS of caulk. Seems that how my dealer fixes everything. They say "this is what is authorized by FR".

My wife and I are strongly considering trading it in and taking a huge loss when we return from a trip out west to the Grand Canyon next week. We have just had too many problems, mostly minor, some not. We have made two payments on our coach, and have been really looking forward to this upcoming trip. After that, we won't have any reason to keep paying on a coach that's got way too many issues. I've enjoyed reading posts on this forum, but have spent more hours trying to find resolve to fixes rather than camping
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #5

And as a follow up to anyone out there: does anyone have any contact information for customer relations or warranty service at Forest River? I would prefer to contact FR directly rather than going through the dealer. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
GM

PM sent.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
PM sent.
Thank you bclemens - I hope FR can help 4GCampers!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

Well, dealer saw the cracks in the roof today. They were very helpful. I'll try to post pics. They sent FR warranty dept. all the details. They reviewed and the fix is....eternabond strips along the sidewalls. Con- dealer says once I do that my resale value goes down the toilet. For now, we'll live with the cracked roof for our long trip and start shopping around before we get any more visible damage. Maybe our salesperson was right, she said we would trade in within 6 months to get something bigger! Ha! Not what I had in mind...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-689210323.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	32558   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3800263011.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	32559  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Plain Old Member

Kind of ticks me off FR said eternabond. Does nothing but put a bandaid on it. I hate it for the next owner. Nothing against the dealer, but if you get the right people and push the right buttons at FR, you'd have a brand new roof.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Hit the submit button to quick. There were a few being replaced on georgetowns while I was up there. Similar reasons, brand new roofs installed, under warranty. I like FR, but shame on them for even going there on a brand new motorhome. That decision by them just put a dent in my decent opinion of them.