Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Roof Maintenance

I just finished my first year of RVing and I have questions on roof maintenance. I have a 2014 class C sunseeker, fiberglass roof. Concerning caulking if there is no visible deterioration in caulking around AC, vents, etc. is it common practice to put another layer of caulk around the openings or is it best left alone? Also, what is the best type/brand of caulk or sealant to use? One other question are there any "not so obvious" areas that should be inspected that an inexperienced RVer such as myself may overlook? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

I was wondering the same...this is my first unit with a fiberglass roof. I look forward to some insight by some "senior members"!
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #3

No need to "re-caulk" unless you see cracks in the caulk thats down now. We have a 2012 FR Lexington with the fiberglass roof, and I'm up on the roof at least once a month for routine checks. Original caulking is still in great shape. You will notice a change when it goes from being pliable to hardening, and thats when you'll start seeing cracking.
Just do routine checks of anything that comes up through the roof, vents, antenna and wire, fridge vent, and the rails that run where the roof meets the sides. Also, check the joints where the front and rear caps (if you have them) meet the roof.
I give mine a good cleaning a few times a year, using a mix of a good auto wash and some Krud Kutter and water. I just use a good soft bristle brush and rinse. Do not wax it unless you want to play slip-n-slide off the roof.
I and probably a lot here use Dicor caulk. Two types, self leveling and non sag. Use self leveling on the roof, non sag for vertical surfaces. If you need to re-caulk an area, use some mineral spirits to clean the old caulk surface and surronding area, than a bit of acetone to remove any residue. You want to have a clean surface to apply the new caulk to.
Also, never, ever, use a silicon caulk on the rig. It dosen't seal well, and nothing else will stick to it, even new caulk. Onlu use stuff that's made and developed for rv use.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

Ok, believe it or not, just came back from the dealership (a pretty good one) who sold me silcone caulking for the sides. She said they use it on all the RVs there. Its called Siksil-GP, and I just noticed it is clear. I asked for white. Looks like I get to take it back tomorrow.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

my new 2014 silverback has silicone on the sides around doors but the top is dicor calking. be very carful when using mineral spirits to clean with.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #6

The Siksik is a speciality caulk. The silicon I was refering to is the clear stuff you see at Lowes or Home Depot. You want to avoid that. There are a lot of rv accepted caulks and some are silicon based.
For your general caulking needs as far as the roof and sides where regular caulk is found, you can't go wrong with the Dicor products.
I just looked up Siksil/google, and it is rv rated. I just shy away from any product that is silicon based unless it is required and specified for.
Been using Dicor and never had any problems.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
you can't go wrong with the Dicor products.
X2 Sound advice.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #8

I have a new unit so I'm good like you for now but we did have a 10 year old used unit that I got all my experience on.
Don't be a stranger to that roof I'm up on mine at least once a month
That's why there's a ladder (it's not for your surf board)
All the people I talked to said no Silicone
I did the old one with Dicor at least three times like was said look for cracks and head them off before water problems
On another thread a fellow closed up his unit and ran a high power blower through a vent and used soap suds to find leaks around the corners and cap
I'm gonna do that
The old unit had a small leak and I had a lot of cleanup work in the corner cupboard. Don't want that ever again
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof