Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #41

Oklahoma roads (I40) caused a couple of doors to fall off on our VCross. Had to use bolts and nuts through hinges and frame to get them to stay put. Luckily. Most of those sections of hiway have been repaired
Dmbrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #42

This topic is exactly why I picked a new 2018 5'er with an off-road, shock-absorber equipped suspension and cabinetry that that was glued and screwed at the factory. After 6 years with a Keystone Montana, I was tired of the thing shaking apart or loose.
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #43

Rough ride

I agree with all of you. I have a 2015 FR3 and on some roads are just horrible to travel on With an RV. A couple of weeks ago I packed up and headed for gas. Pulled up to pump and Rv door would not open. Really! After all I just loaded up and it was fine. So now what do I do? Thankfully I was not far from my RV service guy. They had to climb through the drives window to get in. It took three guys to get the lock mechanism off the door. They dead bolt broke off inside the lock and Jammed the lock so the door would not open. How could this happen I asked? Vibration. It was pretty scary being locked in. But it all turned out ok. Thank the Lord this didn’t happen at my final destination. I travel alone with my four Shelties.
Jeanne
New Orleans
angelicashelties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #44
D W

Been on a lot of bad roads. Pot holes, washouts, cracked pavement and frost heaves. The way I deal with it is to just slow down. You arrive a little later, but you arrive with everything intact.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #45

Rough roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I hit some crap on my last trip and I thought my dash panel was going to fly off.
Gotta keep up with loose stuff constantly.
DITTO. check for loose anything! Include checking the chassis!
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #46

The wood front of my fridge came off on a rough road. 2017 Rockwood
hcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #47

I agree-that area and some around nyc /nj are far from good ! I broke a hanger bolt in that area last year. after so many bad roads and issues similar to those above we gave up and had the Moryde I.S. suspension installed . at almost 19,000lbs and this is a fulltime rig I consider it a good investment . rig has few dishevels now and the ride is so much smoother. will still get some action (cannot fix all the worst stuff)out there .I do not complain when we get stuck in road repair lines anylonger,LOL
luckieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree View Post
LOL Any one tried I-10 in Louisiana? You can hardly have a conversation in the truck. Your voice sounds like you are talking into a fan. Like one of those annoying things I did as a kid.

Florida roads are not great, but we appreciate them after returning from our bumpy trips.
That I 10 is the worst paved road I have ever driven on.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #49
Certified Curmudgeon

I avoided I-10 until Mobile. It was fine from Mobile East to Lamont (Just East of Tallahassee)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #50
ENE

I installed a MorRyde SRE4000 on my suspension and now it rides much smoother. The wheels have 4" travel instead of 2" of travel. We notice less things are moving or falling out. We use to open our fridge and food would fall out on floor, same way with several cabinets of stored items. Now it's rare if something fall out now with new suspension.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #51

Angry

On a trip this past Spring across SW Texas, New Mexico and Arizona the roads were so rough The rear wall of my Rockwood Windjammer broke loose from the side wall. Especially the bridges in NM. The approaches were horrible, like driving straight into a curb on both sides of the bridges. Four and a half months later the service center is still drying to get repair parts from Rockwood.
jcwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #52
ENE

I just got back from a trip from Phoenix to Glacier NP in Montana. The hwy 191/89 thru Utah was terrible. Some places I had to slow down from 65mph to 55 and or drive in the right lane when ever possible. I'm glad I upgraded my suspension to the Moryde SRE4000 for a smoother ride or it would have been worse.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #53

equa-flex 5.5

just before we went on vacation over labor day week
I installed the Equa-Flex 5.5, on my 2017 Avenger ATI 27RKS
it smoothed out the ride, don't feel the trailer pulling on the truck when going over things. also had "a lot" less stuff, moved around in the trailer
tohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #54

Microwave Falling Out

After a trip to LA and Las Vegas when we got home the microwave was hanging out so we took it into the dealership (still under warranty) and the service tech said that it needed a board underneath to keep it from bouncing up and down so they “fixed it”. A year later we made the same trip and when we got home the microwave was hanging half way out again, took it back to the dealership now out of warranty and the same service tech said it needed a board underneath to keep it from bouncing and to replace the retainer frame and the repairs about $300.00, so I told them that is what you charged FR for last time so if your workmanship wasn’t up to par they needed to repair it at no cost, they highly disagreed, I showed them their invoice and still wanted to charge. I contacted FR told them of the entire situation, sent them the estimate and the previous repair invoice and they paid again out of good will. Not going back to that dealer again...
Reng8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #55

Note to everyone....

Posted earlier about walking around my unit and tightening screws here and there. I was outside my unit for that last time this year while the tip-outs where out. I took a look up and notice a lot of the torx screws that hold the trim to the side loose and a few half way out. Take a walk around and check the screws I was shocked that those ones came loose. I tightened them all and will be sure to monitor them like crazy from now on.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
This topic is exactly why I picked a new 2018 5'er with an off-road, shock-absorber equipped suspension and cabinetry that that was glued and screwed at the factory. After 6 years with a Keystone Montana, I was tired of the thing shaking apart or loose.
After the Montana fell apart what "HD off road 5th wheel did you buy"? Youroo! !
Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENE View Post
I just got back from a trip from Phoenix to Glacier NP in Montana. The hwy 191/89 thru Utah was terrible. Some places I had to slow down from 65mph to 55 and or drive in the right lane when ever possible. I'm glad I upgraded my suspension to the Moryde SRE4000 for a smoother ride or it would have been worse.
Wow we must travel on the Same roads,some that we travel even have signs that say 55 MPH speed limit! Youroo! !
Old 10-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
I agree there are some really bad roads out there. Almost lost my false teeth on them.. J/K..

I try to stay on top of all the things in the RV after I reach my destination I do a quick sweep and tighten anything that needs to be tightened and fix anything that needs to be fixed asap.

2 years now and everything it still tight and smells brand new.. just stay on top of the little things and don't let them build up. It will make your experience that much better.

Bob
Couldn’t agree more! We consider ourselves “adventure “ RVers and over the last four years have logged many miles on less than stellar roads, including the Dalton Higgway north to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska and this year the Trans Labrador Hwy in NL. I’ve been VERY impressed with how well our Wildcat 28RKS has withstood the travel. We’ve logged well over 1000 miles of gravel road in these travels. The key is every night have a look under the trailer and throughout the interior for something that might be coming loose!. We came back west across I-70 and the Indiana piece is enough to destroy any vehicle but we didn’t experience any major failures.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #59
TBarbs

Got home on Friday from a two week fall color tour through the Rockies. We Boon Dock a lot and found a few gravel roads. One was a wash board and the roughest road this 5r has seen. Greasing the bearings and looking things over yesterday I and found this bolt backed out. (See picture)
I lost a U bolt that holds the spring to the axle on a trip to CA last spring. I must have discovered it shortly after it happened as I was able to replace it with a new one from a local parts store with no damage.
The bolt in the picture should have about 1/2” of threads showing to match the other side but is recessed inside the nut about 3/8”. This would have been a serious situation had it come completely out. I am going to change the nuts to the locking type.
By the way I had torqued these bolts before we left just 3300 miles ago.
Stay vigilant sh.. happens!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0561E020-594F-45DD-BAF1-5F58FA362959.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	188734  
tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #60
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Wow we must travel on the Same roads,some that we travel even have signs that say 55 MPH speed limit! Youroo! !
Was thinking the same thing when I read that post.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote