Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Rustproofing - How do I know if I had it applied at factory?

I will be taking my lovely RV to Texas Gulf Coast next summer. The RV park I'm going to suggested I ensure my underneath has rust proofing. How can I ascertain if my 2013 Sunseeker 3170 has rust proofing on the underside?

I bought mine in an unorthodox way, so I can't ask the dealer, the dealer wouldn't know. The dealer I used was merely an "intermediary" who facilitated a factory order. The particular dealer normally deals in rentals. This dealer facilitated a factory order as kind of a "favor." (Long story)

So, how do I find out if I have rust proofing? I called auto body shops in the Texas town where the RV park is, and they all said, "um.... nobody around here does that......"

I will be spending a few HOT SUMMER MONTHS in the very humid Gulf Coast, I don't want to come back home as a rust bucket.......

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I will be taking my lovely RV to Texas Gulf Coast next summer. The RV park I'm going to suggested I ensure my underneath has rust proofing. How can I ascertain if my 2013 Sunseeker 3170 has rust proofing on the underside?

I bought mine in an unorthodox way, so I can't ask the dealer, the dealer wouldn't know. The dealer I used was merely an "intermediary" who facilitated a factory order. The particular dealer normally deals in rentals. This dealer facilitated a factory order as kind of a "favor." (Long story)

So, how do I find out if I have rust proofing? I called auto body shops in the Texas town where the RV park is, and they all said, "um.... nobody around here does that......"

I will be spending a few HOT SUMMER MONTHS in the very humid Gulf Coast, I don't want to come back home as a rust bucket.......
When I was growing up in Upstate New York and they used salt on the roads in winter, rust proofing or "undercoating" was a common practice where a tar like coating was applied to the underside of a preferably new vehicle supposedly to prevent corrosion _ whether it worked depends on who you ask.

Going on that, I would assume that you should see some sort of tar or something similar on the underside of your unit.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

Thanks, I'll check!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Assume you don't have any rust preventative more effective than paint.
Fluid film is a lanolin based rust preventative.
http:// http://www.fluid-film.com/
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew

por 15 is a great, if a bit pricey product.

POR-15 Rust Prevention

maybe look for someone that does spray in bed liners. or a large semi truck dealer with a body shop. they for sure would have the space and capabilty to do what your wanting.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #6

If you have the Ford chassis, there is no undercoating (chassis wise) just painted metal. If you have the Chevy you likely got the factory dipped undercoating. Forest River paints all add-on metal.
That said, my 3171 is on the Ford chassis and was obviously transported from FR during the winter on salted roads. My entire under chassis was so corroded and not just the chassis but every metal under there. I had rusting, corroded bolts and metal from the hydraulic lifts to the generator. The back hydraulic cylinders and pads were worse than the front (which makes sense being there is more road spray from the rear tires).

It's been a month long project (on weekends and a few hours during the week) but I have cleaned up the entire under-body of the coach, wire brushed the loose rust and sprayed Rust-Oleum under coating (the hydraulic jack pads I sprayed with Rust-Oleum truckbed liner).

I don't see Texas coast being problem for the paint on metal but anywhere you travel that has road salt will wreak havoc on it. Just take it to a self serve car wash and wash the under chassis.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #7

Had the same issues initially on my Forester 3171... Mine was a late winter build - first Spring I wire brushed all the undercarriage and touched up with a rust stop then top coat from Rust O Leum.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Thanks, I'll check!
Just make sure they wash/clean/dry the complete underside before they apply the undercoating. Otherwise, it will come loose and have pockets of moisture doing more harm than if left uncovered. That's why most vehicles that are undercoated are done when at the dealer before they are driven on the road.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #9

Ours is a Ford chassis, and all metal surfaces on it were at least painted. Not so the FR additions, a lot of bare metal on cuts etc. They are easy to see because they form a rust coat almost immediately. bgilly has the answer, look under the coach for rusty areas, clean them as well as you can w/ sand paper, then rustoleum rusty metal primer and a coat or two of rustoleum paint. Ours has held for over a year.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

Okay, so here is the cheapest way to get this done guys. I have used this in the salt roads of the N.E. for the last 10 years, and my pickup undercarriage looks like its new. Buy the gun U Pol Air Undercoat Undercoating Spray Application Gun | eBay or search one you like for the quality and features, add the bottle Undercoating Gun Plastic Bottle, of course you have the compressor. Mix chain saw oil (which is vegetable based for enviroment) and liquid car wax. I go with one fifth wax to chain saw oil in that size bottle. Bend a coat hanger into a beater stick and whip the mix together in a fine "soup"! spread some plastic and have at the under carriage. Your looking at once a year coating with maybe a touch up all for under 60 bucks. Enjoy.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #11

Oh, and re-sprays are probably 5 bucks tops after you bought the gun and bottle. I did't stay at a holiday express last night either!
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #12

I wonder if the Flex Seal sold at Walmarts, Walgreens and other places would be a more permanent answer.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #13

That is one item that bugs me on my 2013 Forester #3051S. The undercarriage is rusting and my unit is new. But the Ford dealer states they do not undercoat them anymore. This makes no sense to me at all. How about if I purchase a new Ford F250 or F350 ?

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
That is one item that bugs me on my 2013 Forester #3051S. The undercarriage is rusting and my unit is new. But the Ford dealer states they do not undercoat them anymore. This makes no sense to me at all. How about if I purchase a new Ford F250 or F350 ?
Interesting - we brought a new 2013 Cadillac SRX in September and undercoating was offered as a dealer supplied option.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #15

But Forester River purchases the chassis's from Ford as bare bones. Then they built RVs on them. That is a lot different then purchasing a new Cadillac from a dealers lot.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
But Forester River purchases the chassis's from Ford as bare bones. Then they built RVs on them. That is a lot different then purchasing a new Cadillac from a dealers lot.
Well thanks for pointing that out.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Well thanks for pointing that out.
X2 B47. Interesting the things you learn on this forum.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X2 B47. Interesting the things you learn on this forum.
In my post #2 to this thread, I mentioned the way undercoating was done in the old days, but I just goggled Ziebart (B- Bar) and found they are still around.

Some pros and cons given.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Okay, so here is the cheapest way to get this done guys. I have used this in the salt roads of the N.E. for the last 10 years, and my pickup undercarriage looks like its new. Buy the gun U Pol Air Undercoat Undercoating Spray Application Gun | eBay or search one you like for the quality and features, add the bottle Undercoating Gun Plastic Bottle, of course you have the compressor. Mix chain saw oil (which is vegetable based for enviroment) and liquid car wax. I go with one fifth wax to chain saw oil in that size bottle. Bend a coat hanger into a beater stick and whip the mix together in a fine "soup"! spread some plastic and have at the under carriage. Your looking at once a year coating with maybe a touch up all for under 60 bucks. Enjoy.
Chain saw oil? Are you referencing "bar" oil or two cycle gas mixture oil? I expect bar, but want to clarify.
Thanks

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Love My Sunseeker

Wow, thanks for the interest in this topic! I have a Ford Chasis. I'm currently in Southern Oregon in a coastal town, but not directly on the ocean. I think I'm safe. But I'm worried about Texas on the Gulf Coast next summer. I'm having trouble finding someone that can professionally apply it. I have a car washing spray gun, I guess I can just spray it once a week......

Tags
factory, roo, roof