Old 02-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson2 View Post
I finally removed the cover from the battery. I believe this type battery is called a "Sealed Liquid Acid" battery (aka SLA). There are no caps on each cell. The cover has the seals for each cell. I think the cover was originally epoxied to the battery. I now think the problem wasn't overcharge. I believe the epoxy on the cell on the end came free allowing acid to leak whenever the battery was jostled, such as when I move the battery or if I hit a bump while driving the RV. The corrosion in the battery compartment looks like it has been leaking for awhile. When the battery is normally sealed, I don't think liquid or fumes can escape from this type battery. I checked the "Float" Voltage of my Battery Tender. It is 13.3 VDC according to my WalMart Digital Multimeter. I'll probably take the advice and go to WalMart for a new deep cycle battery. I believe those batteries are made by Johnson Controls. I also checked HD but they had no Deep Cycle Batteries.
I'll try to add a photo of the battery and cover so that NO ONE will do what I did to the battery.
That is not the same battery that was in my 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.

My battery did not have a handle and there were two caps covering three cells for each cap. The caps were positioned length wise along the center of the battery.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson2 View Post
I finally removed the cover from the battery. I believe this type battery is called a "Sealed Liquid Acid" battery (aka SLA). There are no caps on each cell. The cover has the seals for each cell. I think the cover was originally epoxied to the battery. I now think the problem wasn't overcharge. I believe the epoxy on the cell on the end came free allowing acid to leak whenever the battery was jostled, such as when I move the battery or if I hit a bump while driving the RV. The corrosion in the battery compartment looks like it has been leaking for awhile. When the battery is normally sealed, I don't think liquid or fumes can escape from this type battery. I checked the "Float" Voltage of my Battery Tender. It is 13.3 VDC according to my WalMart Digital Multimeter. I'll probably take the advice and go to WalMart for a new deep cycle battery. I believe those batteries are made by Johnson Controls. I also checked HD but they had no Deep Cycle Batteries.
I'll try to add a photo of the battery and cover so that NO ONE will do what I did to the battery.
I am not sure that battery is meant to be opened ???
I am guessing there is no change that it froze ???

Old 02-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #13

SLA stands for "sealed lead acid", a type of battery that does NOT have a liquid electrolyte. If the case is punctured, these batteries will NOT leak out acidic fluid.

The electrolyte in these batteries is held in a gel material or a glass mat, leading to the battery types: gel cells and AGM. Both of these do not suffer from the stratification issues of a liquid electrolyte which need to be handled with a charger that performs occasional "equalization" to stir up the electrolyte.

Your photo of the battery seems to show liquid in the rightmost battery cell. The presence of acid on the outside of the battery and in the battery compartment is another indicator that this battery is a traditional wet cell lead acid battery. It may be a wet cell battery that's designed to never need water added during its projected lifetime and had sealed caps on it.

Phil

Tags
2014, battery, leak, sunseeker