Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #1

RV on Jack Stands?

I am new RV owner. Is there any benefit to putting RV up on jack stands to relieve pressure on tires during the winter.
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:12 AM   #2

Goodyear recommends removing the weight off the tires if you can.

Look at last section:
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Probably depends on weight. I have not when winterizing my camper but it is only 4k lbs across 2 wheels and the tongue jack. I never have on my Corvette, and tires are always fine.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
D W

Back in the day when all tires were bias ply, that was the school of thought, along with deflating the tires to prevent dry rot while in storage. Fast forward to the world of radial tires and enhanced tire compounds, it's no longer an issue.

Some die hard rodders and car enthusiasts still honor the practice to safeguard their tires and suspensions.

Totally up to you.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Some die hard rodders and car enthusiasts still honor the practice to safeguard their tires and suspensions.
And even that has changed. I was told letting the car NOT sit on the suspension, at least in the 7th gen Corvette could damage it. I actually over inflate my Vette tires when it sits for a very long time to prevent any 'flat spots'.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #6

My plans for winter storage of my trailer are to bring it with me as I go south for warmer weather (but no A/C).

Rolling tires gather no flat spots.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

I was told last year when replacing my tires that had sidewall cracks but sufficient tread, that it is good idea to take the vehicle out about once a month to exercise the tires. Cover the tires when not in use too.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
And even that has changed. I was told letting the car NOT sit on the suspension, at least in the 7th gen Corvette could damage it. I actually over inflate my Vette tires when it sits for a very long time to prevent any 'flat spots'.
Are you sure you’ve got the proper speed rating tires on the Rockwood to be towed by your Vette?

Just asking.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Are you sure you’ve got the proper speed rating tires on the Rockwood to be towed by your Vette?

Just asking.

A tire with a Z (Y) rating ought to do:

When the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

Don't know about those Chinese wheel bearings, however.

Getting back on track, dealers often have vehicles and trailers in stock for over a year, and they never have them raised off the ground. I never saw a problem with modern tires related to long storage on the ground.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

This would be ideal. It is true that tires that are 'exercised' will last longer, but I'm not uncovering and hitching up to do this! At least protect them from sunlight. UV rays are the death of everything, especially rubber based stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
I was told last year when replacing my tires that had sidewall cracks but sufficient tread, that it is good idea to take the vehicle out about once a month to exercise the tires. Cover the tires when not in use too.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
Pa Groundhog

I suggest you read the warning labels on the stabilizer jack. Mine says not to use the jacks to raise the tires off the ground. It could cause damage to the camper near the entry door.
PaGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGroundhog View Post
I suggest you read the warning labels on the stabilizer jack. Mine says not to use the jacks to raise the tires off the ground. It could cause damage to the camper near the entry door.
I don't think anyone said anything about stabilizer jacks
Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
Pa Groundhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I don't think anyone said anything about stabilizer jacks
The point is.... the manufacturer does not want the weight of the camper solely on stands. Be it on the stabilizers or jack stands. If you put 4 on each side you may get away with that but since jack stands do not have fine tuning, good luck getting them all to carry weight.
PaGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGroundhog View Post
The point is.... the manufacturer does not want the weight of the camper solely on stands. Be it on the stabilizers or jack stands. If you put 4 on each side you may get away with that but since jack stands do not have fine tuning, good luck getting them all to carry weight.
You put them near the axles...not an issue. We are also taking about motorhomes here.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #15

Putting a jack stand near each wheel and just taking some weight off the tires I would think would help
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
I to exercise our Class C monthly Having the vehicle on jack stands would make that quite a task.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoharley View Post
I am new RV owner. Is there any benefit to putting RV up on jack stands to relieve pressure on tires during the winter.

Putting it on stands would depend on how complicated you want to make it. The chassis and RV manufacturer does not put the chassis on stands before they do the build so it may have sat on without stands for a year or longer. The RV manufacturer does not put it on stands after the build. The dealer does not put it on stands.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I was told by RV Repair club that you should put the max psi in for the winter. My GY Endurance calls for max 65 psi. I usually run them at 50 psi.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #19

I have tires on seasonally used items like the motorhome, boat trailer, cargo trailer, mower, etc. I've never put a vehicle or equipment on stands. I never have tire problems, just normal wear from use. Taking the time and trouble to lift the weight off of tires simply can't be justified. Don't bother.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I have tires on seasonally used items like the motorhome, boat trailer, cargo trailer, mower, etc. I've never put a vehicle or equipment on stands. I never have tire problems, just normal wear from use. Taking the time and trouble to lift the weight off of tires simply can't be justified. Don't bother.
I think this is generally true in most cases but other factors could change that.
I.e.
  1. Whats is the winter climate like where you are parked?
  2. What kind of surface are you parked on?
  3. How many months will the RV be parked without moving?
  4. Etc.

In my case I keep my RV parked on some planks during the winter and once a month start the generator and engine and actually move the rv a few feet forward and then back a few feet more or less than I moved. This tends to change the contact point on the tire so that it's not constantly parked on the same few inches of tire. Also, I'm generally only parked constantly from December till March for a total of 3-4 months which is not too long. However, if I had to park the RV for 6 months or more without moving it I might think about some other options.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker