Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Safe T Plus install and review

I took the advice of one of the members on here and purchased a Safe T Plus kit for my Sunseeker 2450 and installed it today. Here is a review of the install and how well it actually works.

The installation was fairly straightforward and simple. I removed the stock steering damper as instructed and installed the brackets and the unit. The instructions advise that the steering must be centered before the installation. I didn't want to guess on this so I utilized a straight edge to sight along the front tires to the rear and ensure that the edge lined up with the same spot on the rear tires on either side. This seemed to have worked well because I didn't have to make an adjustment after the test drive. The only snag that I encountered during the installation is that the u-bolts provided seemed just a tad too small and would not easily fit around the tie rod. I solved this problem by just utilizing the u-bolts that I removed from the stock damper bracket.

Driving impression: Very satisfied! The RV used to hunt all over the road, following every road irregularity and being pushed about by any kind of wind. Post install the RV tracked the road almost as well as my small SUV. Chassis sway used to make the steering wander from side to side and warranted constant attention to keep the rig straight. Once the Safe T Plus was installed, chassis sway had little effect on steering. One more thing that I noticed during the drive is that pre-install the steering had to be physically moved back to center. Post-install the steering is largely self centering much like a car would behave.

I hope this review helps anyone that is contemplating purchasing this product. I highly recommend it if you are tired of fighting the handling of your RV.
Reddog15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #2

Had one professionally installed, on my 2013 Forester 3011DS, at Bob's Wheel Alignment in Chatsworth, CA. Bob also set the alignment to the specs posted on this forum. The combination resulted in a remarkable improvement in handling. I am very pleased with the results and would recommend these mods to anyone with the Ford E-450 chassis that has steering control issues.
campingtom is offline   Reply With Quote