Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Sagging T.V. mount

The television swing arm in our Sunseeker 2860 is sagging.
The mount has about a 1/4 inch play. The screws seem to be pulling out of the cabinet wood, which seems to be a pressed wood product. I'd like to find a way to put a better bracing in the cabinet, but there us a dead space for the TV wires. I also haven't been able to loosen the screws with the hopes of using something like a butterfly mount.
So a lot of words to ask if any of you sunseeker owners if you have had a similar problem and have a unique solutions?
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

I do not have this model MH. But since no replies have yet came I would think you need to ask yourself if you are ready to tackle the job or will you be taking it to the dealer?

If you are ready then I would want to carefully put a hole (with the intention of putting a cover over it latter) in the backer board and then enlarge it enough to see if the screws have a piece spinning on the back that prevents them from being removed. Also check if there are studs or firmer backing available that was missed in the original install.

If a stud is not available then I would try to glue supports in place and also look if a front panel could be added to cover a larger area.

Well these are just some ideas being thrown out. Now that you have one reply you will probably get more with better ideas maybe.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

17 racer thanks, great thought on the backer board cover, yes I'm all about DIY
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

We recently bought a 2011 24ft sunseeker and it had a entertainment center instead of a overhead bunk. We needed the bunk so we took out the entertainment center. My question is where does the TV mount go? there are holes in the wall on the side next to the cabinet and also in the side of the cabinet. We want to mount the TV where it was designed to go. Also can anyone tell me what brand and type of mount forest river uses? I have calls to dealers and are having trouble getting anyone to return my calls.
bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

jumping in

I will take a bite. Please excuse me if I get detailed. For backer board I would use a pair of 2 inch wide by about 8 inch long peices of starboard. The restriction is the access to the inner wall surface. Take the mount down make a cardboard templete so the railroad tracks of starboard run up and down, and drill the starboard about 1/16 over sized.

drill a small hole near the top of the wall and feed a light fishing line down to the opening and attach it to a starboard. now you can work to line up your first bolt with both hands free.

the vertical runs of starboard will transfer the load along a taller surface, using a horizonal backing will not offer the same level of support..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

Update on the mount; turns out the wood screw at the top of the mount was completely broken it must have been sheered when it was shot in with a drill. I was able to get the head off with my impact drill and then able to drill a couple of additional holes to attach the bracket securely to the cabinet. Feels solid and straight again.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

Sagging TV Mount

There should be a large hole about fist size for the cable and electric outlet.
Using duct tape carefully tape pieces of 1x2x8 inch pieces of pine wood one on top of the other inside the opposite wall space where you want your mount. Do this until the wood meets against the near wall. This acts as a stud.
Secure the all the wood together with 2 long screws that will join from one wall board to the opposite.
Then screw your TV mount into all that joined wood. That should as strong as a stud.
It is important to measure carefully where to place your screws in order to get as close to the centre of the wood studs as possible
Zapoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

Teaman here. Answering Sportstracker - sagging TV mount.

Yes. I picked up a used 2013 Sunseeker 2300 in August and the large flatscreen Tv was sagging pretty bad. I took the TV off the mount and tried to unscrew the mount from the wall. I also had difficulty removing the top screw. It was slipping round and round inside the particle board. Eventually I got it out and removed the mount from the wall. Suddenly, I looked at all that 'free' space that opened up in the loft bed area and thought of what a waste of all that space for that huge TV inside this tiny motorhome.

I put my thinking cap on and came up with a plan. Mounting a smaller flat screen TV elsewhere. And freeing up all that loft area for storage (full timer here). I had seen a video clip of a RVer traveling in a 24 footer class C. His TV was mounted right behind the drivers seat and the dinette booth. My MH had the similar arrangement. So I installed some 2x4 wooden support members to the wall behind the driver's seat and a 2x4 wooden vertical member up to the bracket area. I braced it all with a small wooden platform at the top, at the upper bed level. Then I fixed the TV mount for a smaller 24 inch TV to the 2x4 vertical member at the correct height for viewing from the rearward booth seat. I mounted the 24 inch TV in this space that wasn't used for anything. I like it there. And now I have all that room on the upper loft bed area for my storage needs.

Just my solution, may not work for everybody.

PS - I donated the big TV and mount to our Church charity store. Maybe somebody else can use a 12 volt TV.
Teaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tv mount