Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #1

Question Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank Question

I'm attempting to sanitize the fresh water tank. After preparing the proper amount of solution, I begin pouring it in the tank using a tube attached to a funnel. Problem is the solution begins to come out the opening immediately. Almost nothing is going in the tank. The tank fills just fine using a hose attached to a spigot. Pressure the obvious answer there. What's the trick to getting the solution in the tank with out losing 90% of it down the side of the RV.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could pour the bleach into the hose before connecting it to the camper to fill the FW tank.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

I found it easier to pour the solution right into the tank, if you have access to your tank top there is usually a removable threaded plug.

Good Luck
jax1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #4

As Dave said, attach the dry hose to the inlet on your tank. Use a funnel to add one cup of bleach solution to the other hose end. Attach that end to your spiggot and run the water to fill the tank. Follow the normal sanitizing procedure and drain. That works for ours.
Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Not a bad idea to use this method even if you have a gravity fill as it sanitizes your hose too - something that some people forget to do.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
As Dave said, attach the dry hose to the inlet on your tank. Use a funnel to add one cup of bleach solution to the other hose end. Attach that end to your spiggot and run the water to fill the tank. Follow the normal sanitizing procedure and drain. That works for ours.
Will
That is a Dan hah idea. I will add it to my process. I usually fill my tank about 1/3 full and add the bleach and than finish filling. I like the add to hose idea. Thanks.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote