Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Satellite cable

What would be the best way to get a satellite cable into the bedroom for tv or the living room on a 2015 3050s I'm not interested in running thru window

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

You can run a loop in the system to utilize the existing cable-in jack on the wall. Takes a moment to switch a small cable jumper to switch it from over cab tv to the bedroom, but it is the easiest modification to allow use of the satellite and cable through the same external jack. There's several recent posts, a tutorial, and wiring schematics on how to modify the existing connection. Takes about 10 minutes.

Only problem i still have is where to put the dish receiver when in use with the front tv. Hate to have it sitting and taking up space on the over cab bed.
mattnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Old Timer

Not familiar with the setup on your unit, but my solution on my last couple of fifth wheels -- my DirecTV receiver connects to the main TV in LR -- is to connect an RF converter to the receiver and backfeed the signal up the antenna feed to the bedroom TV using a bidirectional splitter to connect into the antenna line.This because the DirecTV HD receivers do not have an RF out jack anymore. Not as good picture quality that way, but I don't want to have a second receiver for the second TV. BTW if you use a RF remote for the receiver you can tune from the bedroom or wherever...
If you need more specifics on how to do the connections, give me a holler back.

kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

That's great and what I'm looking for I should be able to find it Thanks

Old 02-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #5

I am completely ignorant on this beyond running the satellite cable directly to the reciever and from the reciever to tv I'm still looking replies Hopeing to understand going to use tailgater

Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I am completely ignorant on this beyond running the satellite cable directly to the reciever and from the reciever to tv I'm still looking replies Hopeing to understand going to use tailgater.
I just set the Tailgater with the handle pointing North, connect cable to TG and then cable to the "Satellite" connection on the side of the camper and then go program the Dish to the state/town we are in. It is a trouble free system and pretty simple to use, otherwise I couldn't do it. We love ours after using it for 3 months in FL.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #7

Does anyone know where to look for Bclemens schematic posted on satellite cable antenna satellite

Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

Thanks guys got the schematic downloaded I should be able to get it now

Old 02-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
Commercial Member

here, just in case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite Connections.pdf (207.1 KB, 393 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #10

Sat TV is not difficult... Follow the wiring path... As long as you have it into the system in the front TV that receives antenna reception, there has to to be 2 legs of reception. More than likely the rear TV will need to be on channel 3 or 4 depending on the Sat receiver channel switch setting. In a 2015 model I would be amazed if FR has not made a direct path for sat TV input. Not many places offer cable tv hookup anymore. If not... Shame Shame.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
Commercial Member

We've talked about offering some sort of direct connection for each TV, but that is not without its own problems.

1. No matter what, we have to wire coax to each TV for "over the air" reception. In the past, we could also piggy back this same coax wire for Sat, Cable and Signal distribution for DVD.

2. Times have changed. Dish just stopped offering coax OUTPUT on their receivers. Only RCA, Composite and HDMI. So using the coax for anything other than OTA is about over.

3. HDMI would be our preferred choice, but its not cheap. To wire for that we would need to have an HDMI switch box. Now that means we run an HDMI box with one input and 4 outputs that would run to each TV.

4. Most head units still don't offer HDMI output. So the DVD is going to be restricted to one TV only (unless we also offer RCA cables).

So in theory, to accommodate everyones needs we would need to wire coax to each TV location, then wire RCA to each TV location AND HDMI to each tv location. Unless we set this up as an option, that means 100% of the people pay for this when a much smaller percentage will ever use it.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We've talked about offering some sort of direct connection for each TV, but that is not without its own problems.

1. No matter what, we have to wire coax to each TV for "over the air" reception. In the past, we could also piggy back this same coax wire for Sat, Cable and Signal distribution for DVD.

2. Times have changed. Dish just stopped offering coax OUTPUT on their receivers. Only RCA, Composite and HDMI. So using the coax for anything other than OTA is about over.

3. HDMI would be our preferred choice, but its not cheap. To wire for that we would need to have an HDMI switch box. Now that means we run an HDMI box with one input and 4 outputs that would run to each TV.

4. Most head units still don't offer HDMI output. So the DVD is going to be restricted to one TV only (unless we also offer RCA cables).

So in theory, to accommodate everyones needs we would need to wire coax to each TV location, then wire RCA to each TV location AND HDMI to each tv location. Unless we set this up as an option, that means 100% of the people pay for this when a much smaller percentage will ever use it.
DirecTV has not had a "coax output" on their HD receivers for a while either. the solution to that is to use an RF convertor connected to the receiver with RCA or composite, feeding from the coax output to the antenna coax through a bidirectional splitter. The splitter is connected to the antenna coax pulled from the TV and the other two legs of the splitter connected one, back to the TV and two, to the RF output on back of the convertor. The splitter must be designated "bidirectional" to function properly. The antenna coax will then feed any secondary TV's in the unit. I use channel 3 to tune the satellite programs (on the bedroom TV). Actually simpler than it sounds. Works good if you want to use only one satellite receiver.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #13

How would you use the antenna for local news channels

Old 02-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
Old Timer

[QUOTE=Boso;792523]How would you use the antenna for local news channels?

For local channels (any TV set) turn on the antenna booster, if so equipped, and tune the TV for local channels (autoprogram). Works just like normal. To use the remote TV's to pick up your satellite channels, the antenna booster must be off and tune the TV to CH 3 or whatever works for yours. As I mentioned previously, if you have a RF remote for the satellite receiver you can tune the receiver from anywhere in (or near) the rig, regardless of line of sight. Hope this gets you going. Somebody else got me headed this direction a few years ago. Of course the receiver is hooked to your main TV with HDMI or composite or component cables, HDMI being the preferred.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #15

Thanks have one question since all 3 tv's are 12v does that make a difference or are they 12v and 120v never thought about it has been covered up except for one trip in oct. And two visits for dealer repairs

Old 02-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
Old Timer

[QUOTE=Boso;792606]Thanks have one question since all 3 tv's are 12v does that make a difference or are they 12v and 120v never thought about it has been covered up except for one trip in oct. And two visits for dealer repairs

Shouldn't make any difference. However your satellite receiver and the RF convertor are both powered by 120 (AC).
Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #17

There is also the option of using one of the wireless HDMI devices.

They are pricey and aren't without the occasional issue but if you really don't want to mess with coax and would like a full HD signal at any TV with HDMI, just by plugging a device into the back, this could be an option.

To split your signal you'll need an HDMI splitter to plug the wireless transmitter into as well.

We've even used our wireless device to shoot a signal to our family's camper next to us. There are times when the wireless signal works better than other times so, just be aware it's a little wormy.

If I would have had the option to have had all the HDMI stuff done for me from the factory I would have taken it. Maybe there needs to just be an HDTV convenience package as an option from the factory?
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #18

Satellite cable

I use wireless hdmi xmtr/rcvr to feed bedroom TV and I have a HDMI cable run from bunk to outside TV for when I want to watch satellite outside. I use Pathway X2 portable on my roof, feed cable into park cable connector outside, and I have a patch cable inside to my receiver. I also carry long coax that I can run through passenger door for park cable TV.

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Now if you could just post part numbers, pictures, installation guides that would sure save me lots of future questions.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #20

Ok tried yesterday and today getting dish satellite thru cable inlet on rear side of 2015 sunseeker 3050s yes satellite is working it connected to house satellite tried different methods from rf converter to schematic shown by Bclemens I guess the best way for me is to go in cab door with flat wire but still won't be able to get in bedroom or outside entertainment has any one wired a 3050 that has the same hook as I doClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427659103.905314.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	72456
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427659164.921950.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  52.1 KB

Tags
satellite