Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Satellite TV

I would like to get a portable satellite dome for my Sunseeker but really don't know much about them.Does anyone have an opinion about a Wineguard Carryout vs a Tailgater? I have Directv at home and I assume I can use one of my converters? Do you have to do a system set-up every time you move from one spot to another? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

I have a tailgater and yes you have to set it up each time you relocate. It's a simple 5 to 10 minute process. The converter has special software for the dish. If you have dish network at home you can add it to your bill for $7 a month and get all the channels you have at home. If you want a DVR you can add an external hard drive, pay an unlock fee to dish, and you have one.
sgbtgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do a search on satellite here on frf.

There's hundreds and hundreds of posts on many threads of this same subject.

http://www.google.com/search?q=satel...14US514&norc=1
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Pack View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about a Wineguard Carryout vs a Tailgater? I have Directv at home and I assume I can use one of my converters?
I may be misunderstanding your intent with that question, but Tailgater only works with Dish.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #5

I have the winegard anser carry out satellite and i use it with directv. We got it because if we would switch tv providers we would not be out the cost of the anser because it also accepts dish SD and HD. Depending on what receiver you use depends on the setup. It only accepts SD channels through directv. You can use a HD receiver with the anser. We use the H25 SWM receiver and so far it works great. You just set the elevation and the satellite does the rest for you. If you use directv and the H25 receiver you would need to purchase a SWM8 with power inserter for that receiver to work.
240sundeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Sorry Barry,I meant to say Vucube not Tailgater. 240,I'm not sure what an H25 receiver is,I have two Directv SD receivers and one HD in the house and was hoping to use one of them.With the Anser how do you know what the elevation should be? Sorry for all the dumb questions,I'm just not sure how this all works.Thanks guys.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

To find out what receiver one have look on the back of it there should be a bar code that tells you what model you have. To find the elevation you can do it two different ways. The first is through the dish setup menu. The second is if you have a smart phone winegard has an app tells you exactly what the elevation is depending what campsite your at using GPS on your phone. There is also a chart that comes with the Anser that gives you a idea of what it is. Winegard does a good job in giving you instructions on how to set it up when you buy the satellite. Here is a clip of how to setup the anser . I would definitely get it again. Hopefully that answer your questions.
240sundeck is offline   Reply With Quote