Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Satellite TV

I'm thinking of having a Satellite antenna installed with Dish Network as my provider, but I'm having second thoughts. Pay as you go through Dish is you pay for 30 consecutive days even though I might be gone just a week.
What are most of you doing for Satellite tv? Thanks for the feedback and any help that you can be would be appreciated.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #2

I switched from DirecTV to Dish at home a couple years ago so I could have Hi Def in the RV. Not that you can't do HD in the RV with DirecTV, but it requires an expensive roof top dish (about $1700 at the time) or a manual set up (can be very difficult).

I use a Tailgater and a receiver from home. I have an OTA module in my receiver which allows me watch satellite or local programming without switching inputs on the TV. I can also download the program guide for the locals.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

On Direct TV you can also get a tripod and a dish that's not in use on a friends house and take the receiver you already have at home with you.

I did it all for about $50 and I have HD, could have it on up to 4 TVs if I had 4 receivers in the MH.
Just find a Slimline dish and get you an SWM type LNB to put on it.

You don't have to pay $1700 for HD.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #4

I didn't say you HAD to spend $1700 to get HD with DirecTV. I did mention setting a dish up manually in my post. Aiming a Slimline dish does take a little time and experience though.
I was a DirecTV customer for 16 years and spent lots of time aiming satellite dishes. I prefer the way I do it now. I hook up the Tailgater, turn on the receiver, a couple clicks on the remote and I walk away.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #5

Satellite TV

I use Dish with portable auto dish that is capable of using two receivers (I only use one) and it works great. I strap it to the top of the A/C on the roof when I get to my destination.

This is the unit I have: http://tinyurl.com/qchfjej

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #6

I bought my 211 receiver and when we go camping I call Dish when I get to the campground and they turn it on, then I call them when we leave and they turn it off. Unless I'm mistaken they only charge me for the days I am connected. I do have another HD receiver at home that is always on. Maybe that makes a difference. It costs next to nothing for satellite tv in the camper. Thirty consecutive days would cost me $7, but they pro rate this. Hope this helps.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #7

Thank you to everyone on the Satellite Antenna. I think I will go ahead and get the Pathway X1 with Dish and pay for it as I go. Your right if you break it down by days it doesn't cost much.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bednarski1 View Post
Thank you to everyone on the Satellite Antenna. I think I will go ahead and get the Pathway X1 with Dish and pay for it as I go. Your right if you break it down by days it doesn't cost much.
Why the X1 instead of the X2? The X2 has a larger size dish and I'm told is better at using two receivers.

Wes
Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
Puzzlme

In Canada you can get what is called a cottage package on the service you use at home. Basically what that means is that if you are away you are paying for but not using your home service so for no extra fee you can use it at the cottage or in your mobile cottage Just add a dish and receiver, (they can be used). It is active continuously, and you access your existing satellite programming and service from the second dish no matter where you go for no additional cost. (except for buying the second dish and receiver.) I know several "snowbirds" that do this every year. Maybe you could enquire with your provider for a similar arrangement. (We can also suspend service for up to 6 months, free of charge. I believe this is the satellite company's way of keeping your service active.)

https://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite