Old 11-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Satellite will not work through rig

I have tried every connection possible and can't get a satellite signal when my dish is connected outside. I connected directly to the box and it worked.

Above the door there are two coaxial connectors. One has a wire connected, I am assuming this is feeding cable and antenna. I am using the red, white yellow connectors for output to tv, and ran a coaxial to connector above the stereo system.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I do not know what satelite unit you are using but many splitters in the cable hook up do not allow the power to be passed through for the tailgator type units. In out TT the connections were not even connected in the ceiling. When I did hook them up I left the splitter off the satellite side so it was directly hooked to the coax running to the side connection of the trailer.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #3

It's an old DirectTv box and 18" round dish. We have a 2017 Sunseeker. I wouldn't even know where to look at the wiring. It's frustrating, they tell you it's satellite ready and then wire it incorrectly,
bayoubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

Among other things ... make sure your roof antenna booster is turned off if you try to use your satellite. Many times your SAT antenna wire isn't isolated from the 12 VDC booster as it should be. Some portable antennas are cable length sensitive as in around 30' max. If you have a 50' roll outside and add another couple dozen feet of routing inside your RV ... it just won't feed the signal.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #5

The distance could have been an issue, but can't test that till we get on the road. We are rural and trees are a problem, we had to use 75ft cable to find an open site.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 AM   #6

Are you connecting the sat dish to the sat wire on the roof? Also the sat wire inside is separate from the connection with the OTA power booster.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:44 AM   #7

The sat ready connector is on the roof expected to be used for a permanently mounted dish (there is also a backer in the roof structure to support the dish). Most likely present in front of the mid coach vent fan. That coax goes directly to a plate usually where your house radio is near the booster amp plate. Many times the plate also has a HDMI connector on it that goes to the front TV.

The coax on the outside (drivers side) is for campground cable. That coax routes to the booster amp plate and is connected to all of the TV’s when the booster amp is off (led off).

The coax in the coach is RG6 and will support sat connections with no issue when connected properly.
You could reconfigure the campground cable connector by disconnecting it from the booster amp plate and routing it directly to your sat box. It is a home run cable and will not have any spliters inline.

You may also have a coax connector on the passenger side if you do not have a outside TV. If so that connector can not be used for sat as it is a output from the booster amp plate and does have a inline splitter which also feeds the bedroom TV.

From your explanation of what you did it should work if you connected your sat dish to the roof connector. You did not say specifically where you connected it outside, my guess is the campground cable connector. That will not work in the factory wiring configuration.

Most likey your coach is wired correctly you just need to understand how it is wired. Unfortunately FR does not provide much documention on this and most dealers are clueless.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2016 Honda Accord
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

On the roof? This is my first motorhome, so I didn't think about connecting on the roof. Why would they put it up there, to lock you in on permanent dish. I always carry a portable.

I am using the plate above the stereo system with the coaxial and hdmi connector.

I guess I will get on the roof and look, if thats so I won't be carrying my satellite, my DH isn't going to want to climb up there every time.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
On the roof? This is my first motorhome, so I didn't think about connecting on the roof. Why would they put it up there, to lock you in on permanent dish. I always carry a portable.

I am using the plate above the stereo system with the coaxial and hdmi connector.

I guess I will get on the roof and look, if thats so I won't be carrying my satellite, my DH isn't going to want to climb up there every time.
Yes... on the roof.
Many motorhome's satellite connection is on the roof as there are permanent mount dishes that can be installed which track the satellites so you can watch TV as you drive down the road.

Should you decide a roof mounted dish isn't something you want, don't leave your current set-up at home. It still can be used with a cable that runs through a door, window or slide out seal... or you could add a separate connector to the exterior and run a new cable inside that way. Many here have reported doing this very thing.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4895.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	155637. Not sure if the picture worked, but I found a little black cap right in front of the forward vent, that is halfway caulked down. I’m afraid to start yanking.

Tags
lite, satellite