Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

ScanGuage II Questions

Scanguage II Questions can you program the X auges into the 2014 E-450 Sunseeker 2860DS.. Specifically the transmission temp.. getting varied info on it even on their website... Has anyone programed the Transmission Temp into theirs? Is it easy to use... looks plug and play but understand you have to unlock the Xgauges.. which of the other Xgauges would be beneficial for the RV'er

Do you love it or hate it? One of my disappointments with the E-450 is the lack of instrumentation... One would think gas mileage info and transmission temps would be included on dash.. I'm always looking at transmission / engine temps when hauling my toyhauler with my F-350 diesel. Just makes sense.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #2

First, If you have a transmission idiot gauge on your dash, then it gets it's info from your PCM and then yes you should be able to use the xgauge feature to decipher the codes.
Second, forget the transmission temp gauge on your F series pickup. You won't get the needle to budge until your true temp is around 230 degrees. By that time you have to back 'er down or risk trans failure at around 250.
Third, are you gas or diesel? If diesel, I suggest perusing the 'Ford Truck Enthusiast' forum for specific 6.7L information. There are plenty of functions readily available on xgauge for diesels. I'm not sure about gas burners although from the limited threads I've read in the Super Duty section, the owners do use ScanGauge II as an effective basic code checker and engine monitor system.

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #3

Here is what I think I have programmed into mine for transmission fluid temperature if that is what you are wanting.
TXD
07E0221E1C
RXF
0462051E061C
RXD
MTH
NAME
Trn

I also monitor fuel economy per tank, which of course is slightly skewed by generator use. I like having it and I use the immediate mpg reading to select a cruising speed. It is easier to glance at a numeric readout than look fractionally longer at a conventional gauge.
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

V10 gas thanks rattle

Starry I see that's an Alt Transmission Fluid Temperature .. I see theres like 4 of them... are you running codes for the E-450 Gas?
Is the mpg reading you use already programed in?

Easy to set up the xgauges? good instructions with it?
Thanks
Ron
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

I don't remember if I tried any non-working codes. Our Sunseeker is a 2013 but the E-450 is a 2012. It is new enough that I have never seen a fault indication on the dash but Scangauge lets you read & reset faults. We are using the standard mpg already programmed in. With each fill-up it should become more accurate. Scangauge is pretty easy to get to get to display what you want and there are numerous choices like backlight color and brightness. Ours usually shows tranny temp, instant mpg, mpg for the current tank, and gallons to empty (debating between that and miles to empty). I've had no trouble with it but I am accustomed to technical stuff, that's what pays the bills and all. Using Scangauge in multiple vehicles is plug-and-play except the long-term fuel economy accuracy will be affected though it can be reset.
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #6

I love the Scan Guage II for monitoring MPGs. When you set it up the first time you tell it how many cylinders you have and what size gas tank. Every time you fill up it has a calculated amount of what you should need. You can enter how many actual gallons you added and it will calibrate it for better accuracy. That is fine for a car, but I do not do this because sometimes I run my generator when the coach engine is not running.

For example, if I burn 20 gallons driving and then run the generator at camp when the coach engine is not running, the pcm is not accounting for the gas being burned by the generator. When I fill up the scan guage will automatically tell me I need 20 gallons when I actually may need 23. I just hit the fill up button and enter whatever the calculated amount is.

If that sounds confusing, it will make sense once you get your guage.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:15 AM   #7

Starry, Just bought one at autozone.. looks like a pretty complicated learning curve or I may be making to much of it.. the way I'm reading you have to enter every fill up or its not accurate. my wife drives a lot and I can do it but I'm not sure she will or want to when I'm driving

I am not really concerned with long long term fuel economy.. maybe trip by trip or per fill up.. The overall trip mpg is always on in our towncar and I usually do the math every fill up just to see if its agreeing with the computer, for instance we have a town car that can get 27 MPG on pretty flat roads.. We drive to Calif and back from Washington and can average around 25 round trip.. but gets as low as 22/23 and high as 26/27 depending if we are in mountains or on the flat. we usually don't reset the trip/ overall MPG until we get home. Im guessing this isn't the instantaneous MPG you say you like to watch, will the scangauge do the same (both methods trip and instantaneous mpg) without having to manually input the gas gallons every fill up. I guess I don't know how the computer works in the towncar but its pretty accurate/ and agrees with doing the actual math per fill up.. I was hoping for something like that. We also hardly ever get down to a quarter tank as suggested in the startup.. More like half a tank fill to fill up time.. We use it to stretch our bones (old age). We have been going further in the MH (gas use) to take advantage of lower fuel prices. but although I like a low cost as I can drive mile, it isn't critical with gas range of +/- 10 cents a gallon. Our last trip to Calif last month had +/- 40 to 45 cents a gallon , a difference which adds up fast.

I noticed in the CANSF protocol for Fords (not listed 6.8 V10) there wasn't any oil temp Xgauge but only listed Cyl head temp and Trans temp.

How did you pick the trans code, trial and error of the 4 listed?

Is the trip/ overall MPG and instantaneous MPG preprogramed in and what do you have to do to make it work? (no input or have to input fill up info)

Thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions...
Ron
Old 07-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #8

Lowrey
You responded while I was asking more questions.. I'm thinking I expected more automation like in my post. I know Ill forget entering a fill up once in a while... didn't expect having to do that more like a car see my last post. Any help will be appreciated. I haven't had time to even program it for tranny temp yet. LOL

Thanks
Ron
Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #9

I forgot to ask about the tank input question... I'm pretty sure the dealer told me that The 2860DS / E-450 has a 60 Gal gas tank... E-450 book says optional larger tank is 55 gal. I've never been below a half tank so don't know what size it is.. What is the true answer LOL
Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #10

Starry

Would you please check the codes you are using for transmission temperature? I can't get your setup or any of the 4 alternates they give to work in our 2010 E450.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote