Old 12-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
Shopping for a Sunseeker 2300

Hi, Just wanted to know what owners thought of this model. I have been shopping all new motorhomes in the 25 foot range and even though I can afford much more I have been continually attracted to the new 2300. Am I wrong or is this the one?

M and M in Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Shopping for a Sunseeker 2300

I don't have a 2300 but do have a sunseeker 3010 and I'm very happy with it. If you like the 2300, then it sounds like it's the best one for you which is what really matters. I've always thought that finding the floor plan you like best is key...much more important than brand, class, cost, etc.

jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Hey M and M, We just bought our 2016 2300C (Chevy Chassis) in October. We are traveling now, on our way from Massachusetts to Florida. Prior to this trip we only spent a few days and nights in it. So far we love it.

Its just the right size for the two of us with more storage than we could ever use. The corner bed can be a bit of a pain, but we felt that it was worth dealing with in order to avoid having a slide out. I know people love slides, but they seem to be a major source of problems and we wanted to avoid that. We also wanted to stay well below 30 feet in length.

The curved dinette is comfortable enough and the memory foam-topped mattress is super comfortable. My only real gripe with the kitchen is that the stove has an oven. Not real bad since we just treat it as another cabinet. Another small problem is that the Slow-Rise shades don't cover the windows quite as well as I would like. They are nice shades just the same.

We got the model with the overhead sleeping area and turned that into a storage area for our bicycles in order to keep them out of the weather.

We test drove both the Ford and the Chevy versions and chose the Chevy because it is much quieter and a bit more comfortable due to more foot room for the passenger. I think either one is good and comes down to personal taste. Also the Chevy 4500 chassis has way more cargo capacity than the Ford F350 chassis. We're getting about 10 mpg and hope it will improve as the engine breaks in.

We have had no major issues so far except perhaps the Jensen in-dash radio. It cuts out sometimes and occasionally freezes and stops working. We have spoken to the dealer and they're on the case. I did spend some time fixing loose screws incomplete or messy caulking, a popped screw in the shower surround, and an outlet that was pulling away from the wall. Standard stuff for a new rig, I'm told.

Good luck with your decision.
2016 Sunseeker 2300C
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
We had a 2012 2300 on a Ford chassis, we liked the small size, the storage area. What we did not like was the corner bed and sitting on the dinnet all the time. So this year we traded it off on a 2700DS which we like very much. The 2300 had just a few very minor problems at the start, and was problem free during the time we had it.
2016 Sunseeker 2700DS
2010 Jeep Liberty Toad
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Sunseeker 3010DS
we were looking for a smaller RV mainly for the price. But we ended up buying a 1 year old Sunseeker 3010ds rental unit from a dealer with 18,000 miles cheaper than the smaller new units, the rest of the chassis warranty and know one knows it was used. They kept it in top running condition and fixed all of the manufacturers issues that you will need to deal with the first year or so. The corner bed in the smaller units was a big issue for us and now we can bring the whole family and have more than enough room.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
I love my 2250, the slide out has been an issue, but when it's working it's awesome. The "walk around" queen bed is a stretch but doable.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
We have a 2014 2300. So far it's been problem free. Just the right size for 2 and a small pooch. We have the Ford E350 chassis.
GMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Shopping For A Sunseeker 2300

In 1996 we bought our first Class C RV and for years never saw another that suited us as well. Also, it being a 1990 unit, both it and its driver were getting long in the tooth. Until in Oct, on a whim, we stopped at the RV show in Toronto and fell in love. We saw and bought after no thought almost our 2015 Sunseeker 2300. This is no entry level unit so it is well outfitted. Is it perfect? Not completely, so Iíll start with the raves and then the wishing.

The cockpit is pretty good. The instruments are good and well lit. The mirrors are first rate; remote controlled, heated and gives great viewing. With cameras that connect to the Backup screen automatic switched on when the turn signals are used. Cool and useful. The radio / GPS is an entertainment centre with audio input from the included 30 inch TV. Connecting to a Dolby 5 speaker system gives good sound for movies. The only significant issue is the height of the seats. Unless you are six foot four they are too low. A thick cushion in the short term fixes that. Long term?? I wish the passenger seat could rotate.

Construction, materials and workmanship inside and out, are first class, and I am picky. I wanted a fibreglass roof with a Fantastic fan vent, got it!

Large excellent windows with quality blinds, whatís not to love?

First the raves.

LED lighting, lots of it and well-placed, top marks! Including a long strip under the awning that surprises. Very important if you boondock.

Access to coach batteries and connections are excellent. Switches for patio and awning lights are well placed but need to be lit for when you come in from the dark. It would also be nice to have a very small light on the bottom step to help us old folks at night. Small thing but so much thought has gone into this unit.

Lots of storage but not necessarily where it is needed. It is a challenge to organize dishes, pots and pans, canned goods and utensils. These items are heavy and need to be near at hand if you cook a lot. We do. The jury is still out but I think there will be some modifications coming. Electrical outlets in bed and bath rooms are well placed but in the kitchen, oh my. In the underside of the single cupboard, at the front where they will encourage you to have an accident. They should be at the back towards the outside wall at least! Since our new toaster came with the new length cord we have to balance it on something or use an extension cord. An outlet under the extension shelf, another good idea, would work.

The three-burner cooktop is great, lots of heat but hard to simmer. Not impossible to fix, I think. A cutting board on top gives space when doing dishes. It has a sparker to light the burners, too bad it doesnít do the oven as well. Iím happy overall.
I would accept a shallower sink to gain a shallow drawer under it. The quality of fixtures is first rate too.

The bathroom/shower/sink gets top marks as well. Great storage above and below the sink.

The U shaped dinette is poorly thought out. To give a six-inch thick sleeping cushion means that the seat is too shallow and you feel that you are sitting on the edge of the seat and since the back is very upright it is very difficult to get comfortable. If four inch foam had been used it would still be comfortable. I regret falling for style instead of comfort. It does look good.

The fridge is 6 cuft and has a reasonable layout. The hot water tank is both gas and electric. The generator works as it should.

Drawers are well constructed with excellent slides. They could have stronger bottoms in the kitchen for my cast iron frying pan etc.

Another smaller drawer under the dinette would also be appreciated.

The basement storage is fantastic. Lots of it and all of it usable. Access for winterizing and dumping is excellent.

So, to recap. The unit is not perfect, none are, it will be improved over time Iím sure. For itís size it is well appointed and I think represents good value. I know I missed other good points but I know someone else will find them, or I will, we have only been together three weeks.

One year later, Dec 2015, still pretty happy. Put a drawer under rear half of the banquette, solar panels, winterizing bypass valve, use overcab for big basket storage, sliding shelf in rear basement compartment. Raised front seats by two inches. Built a pantry by entry door. Still a few more mods to go.

I would recommend to forget the fancy banquette seats. They take space you can use otherwise. Swivel seat for passenger. Avoid upscale, thick mattress, comfy but hard to make. Make sure you get the heated, remote mirrors, they're great! Ford gets between 8-10 mpg depending on wind direction mostly, at 60 mph. Power to spare. Huge capacity for liquids, important for boondocking and travel. Even for two skinny people we think a slide would give just a bit more floor space and room to move around.

Yep, kinda lengthy, but you asked. If my unit was a car, it would be a Buick. Definitely not an entry level unit. In one year we have gone over 13000 kms. 8125 miles.

Good Luck.

Make sure your partner likes it
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Just a bit to add to GerryW's excellent review. We had the bench seat dinette with drawers under the benches. The storage was great but the benches very uncomfortable. There was no vital equipment under the dinette area so we removed it all and use two executive office chairs. Some folks spend more and get small recliners but we were weight conscious. We have a small folding table and beanbag lap trays. An interior door on its side replaced the back of the rear dinette and very narrow shelving behind the drivers seat holds some of what was in the drawers. The cabinets over the dinette area, hard to access before, are easily opened now.
It's a bit difficult to access the cabinets over the bed if you are not agile. The bed is easily made using trash tongs/pinchers.
The 2300 fits about anywhere, no need to tow a vehicle.
Buy with confidence. This is a good unit.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
This spring we purchased a used 2014 2500TS. 3 slides gives one lots of room and if they are maintained (lubricated both driving mechanizims and the rubber that goes around them they seal properly and are trouble free. each has its own topper which is a must. The 165 watt solar panel works great and as such we have seldom used the generator. The Ford E-450 has lots of power and the whole unit is great. We put some led push lights in some of the cabinets which work good at night , especially under the sink and in the wardrobe. The roof is fiberglass but as on any roof one has to make sure you check those dicore seals and to add to the venting we installed Maxx Airs on all the vents on the roof.

2014 - 2500 TS Sunseeker

brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote